Is it possible for someone to completely avoid the person who they have feelings for?

I've always been told that people will do whatever it takes to go for the person they most desire no matter what but is this always true? I've had guys show interest in me and then stop talking to me and leave me hanging so I'm just trying to figure this all out.

• Yes
  • No

What Guys Said 12

• Some people feel compelled to protect themselves rather than expose themselves to the chance of rejection and pain. They may demonstrate interest and they may feel hopeful in the beginning but if things don't seem optimistic then they will close off from the situation and avoid it. It's a defence mechanism in some people that means you can never truly be sure if a sudden lack of interest is genuine or not.

• 24d

What if that person who he/she had feelings for liked them back though? And they knew it?

• Sure. Move 3 time zones away. That's what I did.

• Depends. Are you controlled by your emotions or do you have the will to act despite your emotions? Sometimes I get extremely pissed off at another person. Doesn't mean i'm going to knock him out.

• 22d

well, theoretically 'avoiding' someone is a form of controlling ones emotions, so not sure which way your answer was moving. are you calling being controlled by emotions being avoidant or not avoiding?

me too. i get annoyed but doesn't mean im going to punch.. nice thought though sometimes. i can enjoy thinking of it. ;)

• 22d

Well you asked if it was possible.
      If your emotions control you, then you couldn't avoid them. If you can make decisions despite your emotions (like deciding to not punch someone when you're angry) then yes it is possible.

• It's possible, but causes may differ.

• Yes, when things get complicated and feelings get hurt sometimes you avoid someone to give them time and space. Sometimes you need time and space alone to heal wounds before communication can occur. If you can't set feelings aside and be on the same page you can not reasonably communicate. I've experienced this with someone presently, and I'm also avoiding them for the reasons I've mentioned.

• i lived my whole life like that. i dont want to be betrayed by women. plus i'm not a player and i'm too vanilla and boring for most. maybe somewhat awkward too... .

• Nothing is inpossible

• Yeah it's possible.

Hard as hell, but possible.

• Yes, I have this problem where I like multiple girls at once, but none of them like the idea of me being attracted to more than one girl. So, I stop talking to them even if I really want them.

I voted No by mistake, fuck!

• I had a woman do this before one time. It made me feel like she hated me.

• I answered No because, its possible to avoid completely over the phone, or avoid any sort of communication, even never meet up for life time. However, you will still be remembered in mind.

• Depends on your reaction. If i show interest and a woman doesn't show it back, i pull myself out of the situation.
    Most of us guys are stupid when it comes to getting hints, so you might have to be painfuly obvious tho.

What Girls Said 9

• Yes, there was this guy in my high school, we hung out once, we had a really good time, then after that three to four months went of us to not talking at all, he kept looking at me all the time though (I was confused cause he ignored my message...). I eventually spoke to him and we were real close again, and few months later I asked him about why he didn't talk to me back then and he said cause he really liked me but didn't know what to do and pussied out. I liked him too at that time but by the point we talked about this we had both already stared to like someone else so we didn't really end up dating, but we're still good friends to this day.

• it possible to desire to avoid them. its possible to technically do it as well.

i'm not sure if you are asking is it possible that they would want to, or if its possible to actually physically do. yes both possible,.

its not the same for everyone,. many people feel infatuation or love to be intrusive and oppressive and out of control,.

... not beautiful rainbows & roses. its never true that none 'always' in an situation does 'one; thing. depends on their personality experiences expectations hopes dreams fears issues etc. its nothing more than laziness to say in this state a person will ALWAYS do x y z. so don't listen to that.

now why are YOU asking. is there something YOU can do in this situation?

• People are different.

Some might. Others might just lose interest quickly.

• If I like someone, I avoid the hell out of them. Cause I'm a weirdo.

• No. When someone likes you they will want to spend their time with you, they won't avoid or hurt you.

• Sometimes you have to avoid them for variable reasons.

• It's yes and no for me, jus bc they stop communicating doesn't mean they don't still think ab you. And I know what you're going through lol

• 29d

What is your situation exactly?

• 29d

So this is normal?

• 29d

I wouldn't say it's normal bc it's so dumb, but it happens enough to where you think it would be.

• Well I know I am avoiding the guy I have feelings for.

• It's happened to me too. But I think that if they really like you they won't avoid you. I've seen it with guy friends they would just do whatever it took to be with the girl they liked.

• 29d

For me this guy in particular hasn't talked to me in over 2 months. I drunk texted him the other night and I haven't gotten a response so I don't know.