Is New York city actually a nice place to live?

i been thinking about living in new york for just a year or two before i turn 30. i just think that living alone in new york city would be a wonderful experience. i mean lots of opportunities, adventures, failures and etc... i think i'd learn a lot

What Girls Said 18

• NYC is a garbage dump nowadays. There is too much pollution, a lot of nasty and rude people out to get what they want. I lived in NYC all my life until now. Its a lot of a major struggle to find jobs. It is very expensive to live. A lot has happened since Hurricane Sandy. Which by the way you don't want to experience living in a very big and crowed city. The health care system is ridiculous. You only go to the right doctors and people who actually want to help you. Trains get very crowded, and you have to deal with rats. Now with the BLM and the protesting going on, it will be very hard to get to work. I had that happened to me where I was running in 30 minutes late. Its not a healthy environment. You have to watch out for a lot of people, wither in the law, the health care system, the legal system, your neighborhoods', etc. Gangs are everywhere. Murders happen, including rape.

But other than the crazy struggles one goes through. I can be a fun experience in the right places with the right kind of people. But if you never been to NYC before. Try to visit for a while first during many times of the 4 seasons. However once you go in, its hard to get out. Do your research, visit FIRST before you decide to live. Because its a lot that is going on over there. But you must have a lot of money. And be careful how you use it.

• I lived in queens and worked in manhattan for a couple years. It was a nice experience, but i'd never go back there to live. West coast = much better for me.

• 24d

Where at in Queens?

• 23d

Montauk is nice as well.

• 23d

Ahh. I'm in the Maspeth area. Tons of great food in Queens!

• It's extremely expensive, and it smells because of all the trash. But otherwise, there's a lot to do.

• I want to visit it. I love skyscrappers 😛

• I just came back from New York

My impression of it: fun, lots to do, but most things are marked up by 50% for what it is, research required for the quiet, inexpensive spots

Conclusion: great place for visiting, would never live there

• thats a great goal. good luck. let me know if you have any questions. I have been living here almost my whole life. love it. i know the city very well. do you know anyone here?

• 23d

thanks.. you are so nice. i dont know anyone from there but now i know you 😊

• Omg lucky
    I wanna go
    Yes go do it

• depends. i'm a student looking for universities. seeing as there are many amazing universities in New York, i'd live there for studies, and then probably work there a year or two, but after that i'd move away. not much of a big city person myself. good luck tho :)

• I live here and I must say it was not really worth it, if you're from a sunny place you'll get vitamin d deficiency, and exema due to the dryness of the air, even if you never had skin problems (like me). The people are also very rough, the rich people pretentious and rude and entitled, beware if you're a minority and like to live in nicer areas, the people here in those areas are idiots and sheltered in money and often badmouth over cultures.

• yeah, its amazing

• Its nice to visit, way too crowded to live in

• Nice or not-You said it, opportunities.
    It's expensive though.

• No. No dont do it. If you have to, just visit it. Its honestly pretty crappy to live in.

• i want to see it too. a close friend moved there from the west coast.

• I don't know because I've never been there but good luck

• no it is trash

• It's dirty, crowded, noisy, and the people are so mean. I like Chicago more because most of that does not hold true there. I hate New York. Chicago is great.

• Just be careful, it's largely stereotyped here for having a lot of rude and racist people there. My own boyfriend lives there as he studies, so I personally know as well. It's also brutal during the winters. Buuuut, it would still be a good life experience. I would do it if I were you :)

• 25d

thanks for the advice

• 25d

You're welcome :)!

What Guys Said 29

• I live in the Bronx but planning to move to Queens or Brooklyn not too far from Downtown because that's where I work. Traveling 1.5 hours to/from work five days a week is too long and tiring. Lower - Midtown Manhattan is too noisy and expensive. So, pick carefully so you can actually enjoy living and working in New York. It's definitely great because there is so much you can do there. Trains and buses will get you anywhere you wanna go.

• i know lots of people who love it. for me i love going to visit. there are things i could see loving about living there but ultimately don't think i'd want to live there

• I feel like it would be nice if you are rich and live in the wealthy parts, but otherwise its probably a shithole.

• Yes, if you can afford it, though it can be a lonely place if you don't actively go out to make friends.

• I would say it is a very interesting place to live.

• NYC is HUGE! there's nice places and there's not so nice places. Its expensive and you have to deal with 4 seasons.

• LOL New York City is a festering shithole.

• 24d

cool stay away :P

• 23d

Your relatives can do well when they sell their place. The value of that area changed after the city rezoned. The closer to water the better :)

• 23d

@3336PS I've had family living there since the 1940s when they moved to the neighborhood. They wanted to move near Little Poland.

• You would love it if you're single. However, you better save up because NYC is pretty expensive. For instance, a beer at Madison Square Garden at a Knicks' game is $11 plus tax. A sausage is just over $7. You would be wise to be on the lookout of discounts if you're going to live here.

• 25d

im single right now.. but my field of work is in construction, will it be easy for me to get a job, i'm a civil engineering student,.. and if i did, will i enjoy living in new york working in construction, it's quite a serious job.

• 25d

Definitely. There are buildings being built all the time so there's never any shorage of work. As a matter of fact, one is being built near One World Trade right now.

• 24d

civil eng. might be harder. doenst hurt to try.
      land of opportunities.
      i know a lot of young people made it here. I had a few columbia ph d students studying poetry renting from me a few years back. some stayed here and working here. she seems happy. she has been here over 9 years now.

so if a poetry student can make it here... i dont see how anyone should not give it a try.

• It sucks. I've lived in Queens my whole life. Rent is expensive, food is expensive. Gets pretty cold in the winter. Outside of Manhattan (Haven't been there since I was 11), nothing to do.

• If you've got a lot of money, it's a wonderous place.

• No it turns good people into assholes.

• No, I have been there. It's a fucking shopping mall. That's all it is. Built on beautiful Native American land. Gone forever. Consumerism is disgusting and should be destroyed

• Yeah there is food and shelter. Pretty dece place for living

• I live here. Im born and raised it, its the city that never sleeps and lives to its name

• More exciting than nice.

• I want to visit it. I love skyscrappers

• New York is very expensive.

• The place is overrated as fuck. I don't know why anyone would wanna live there

• 25d

Especially if you live alone cause rent is expensive as fuck. A studio single the size of a closet will cost you 2k easy

• It's cool.

• Depends on what part of NYC. You have Manhattan, Brookyln, Queens, Bronx and Staten Island. All are different.

All I know from experience is, you live in Manhattan if you want to make money.

• If you live outside the crazy city like live out in the farm areas and you'll be happy.

• It's really difficult to survive in the city. But if you have a good job yeah it's fun place. A lot of people get a car accident, pick pocketing, etc. So be careful

• Good luck, serve lots of people and make lots of money

• It could be, I just have a phobia with living in a huge city.

• Not at all. Lived there all my life.

• No it's shit just like other big cities... but it depends...

• NYC is VERY expensive.
    If you can afford Chelsea or the Village or the Upper East side. The Bronx or West Side are a bit less fun. The green (W) side of Queens is OK too but not cheap.

• You better have a good job to pay for it. Even crappy apartments there are expensive as shit.

• I would never want to actually live there myself. Would be good for traveling and staying for a week or two at the most or travel there occasionally here and there, but it's just me, it's the big crowds that I do not like for overcrowded big cities.