I hate being shy it ruined my childhood and now it’s ruining the rest of my life- is this familiair?

Most Helpful Girl

• Totally relatable, was horribly shy but looking back I wouldn't change a thing. It took me years to manage to get some extroverted qualities. Just work hard, start giving yourself pep talks and see if you can try public speaking. Don't be afraid to laugh with yourself a little when you have mishaps, that's the best ice breaker. And concerning talking to others, the best place to start is with a genuine smile

Most Helpful Guy

• I was also very shy and clueless about girls but I'm sort of overcoming it slowly. We'll see how it goes :P I have a few regrets but I wouldn't say my life was ruined by it. think I've lived a pretty good life so far even though there's lots of problems I still have to overcome.

What Girls Said 7

• I was very shy as a child too, so I can certainly relate, and I remained shy right up until my late 30s. Then I got divorced and it was either live vicariously through my children or force myself out of my shell.

I was very fortunate to meet someone who took it upon himself to make it his mission to help me out of my shyness. It's really hard, but doable you just have to be willing to accept that you will stumble (and that it's ok) but regardless you keep pushing forward.

• I find it cute when guys are shy yet confident ^^

• 28d

How do they do this? lol. I'm shy af. I can confidently talk to a girl... but I'll probably be shaking and twitching and itching to stick my head in the sand.

• 28d

Damn lol, I really need to talk to more girls, hopefully I find one like you lol. You wouldn't happen to have any tips for me? ^_^

• 28d

Hope you would find me cute then lol

• I'm super shy, but only because of my ex-best friend. She would never let me talk to any people, and now it's really hard to make friends.

• yeah its really hard ruined my past, didn't have any friends for a long time, once i got one i was really clingy to her... her best friend bullied me and i still stayed with the girl i clung to , but im not letting it ruin me now... try and break out of your shell and start convo... and remember one thing BE YOURSELF :)

• 28d

As long as you didn't go gay for her

• 27d

I would never tell someone there too young to learn.

• 27d

@cchris987 thanks :)

• Me too, i have severe social anxiety so i can relate.

• Yes. And nothing can change it unless you literally force yourself. It'll be awkward and go wrong at first, but you'll get used to it soon enough and it'll get better.. never easy, but will be better.

• 28d

I know that but it is hard

• 28d

The most worthwhile things are often the hardest though. I think if you like yourself a little more, you'll be more willing to invest that time in yourself to start that. But it's a cycle, because until you like yourself a little more you're less likely to start.
      You're worth it, you're worth your time, so put it in.

• Just go savage!

What Guys Said 12

• I'm definitely familiar. I'm 26 and never dated or been to a party. My family members are the only people who prevent me from having my life fall apart. Hope you get support from someone or somewhere. The only thing I can suggest is searching for sites that have info and advice on social anxiety and things like that. I'm trying them.

• You must get over it. You must do the thing that you are terrified to do. You also must work on your self esteem. You are worth it. Unless you do these things you will continue to be disappointed in yourself.

• Shyness can be overcome, you just have to force yourself out of your comfort zone. It's very hard, but it's better than allowing it to ruin your life. It's your choice.

• I was quiet rather than shy but I don't think it has a major negative effect on my life.

• If it's really ruining your life you're probably not just shy but socially inept and you should work on that, maybe with a therapist.

• go on tinder and go on 10 dates.. fail every time but by the 11th you'll have confidence

• wouldn't say it "ruined" my childhood... but I definitely can relate

• Negatory.

• Sounds like Social Anxeity Disorder. It's very effectively treatable. See a Family Medicine doc.

• I'm shy too, I can't even really talk to girls because of it. So many opportunities down the drain

• no it's not. an adult who is shy is pretty wasted.

• Dude it's never late to change! I was a really shy kid once. I was always in a corner alone and if someone talked to me I was finding it awkward. ESPECIALLY if it was a girl. I was feeling like I want to vanish from this earth right now.

But nowadays I speak to girls on my own, and I proudly hit on them with no signs of shame. I am a different man now. Ask me if you want to improve yourself.