How many pets is too many? Is there such a thing?

So, I have 2 cats and a 1 year old puppy. All are female.

Well, I'm getting a 2nd puppy. 😍😍 My sister found a few strays (she's in Texas). They've had vet visits and checkups, we're good to go.

She's coming back to visit in Jan and will bring a boy puppy with her.

I'm just sitting here thinking, "Damn... 4 pets. Where does it end?". So. The question.

Most Helpful Guy

• I have 3 dogs... a chocolate lab, an akita, and an Alaskan husky... and one cat

You have 3 of the most adorable dogs. Forgive me if this sounds rude, but do you use them to pick up chicks?

Haha... thanks! 😅The akita is 11, lab is 5, and husky is 1.5

• 20d

Thanks😊

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 17

• Depends. If I walk into your house and all I smell is wet dog, or cat piss. You have too many. If you have dog or cat hair all over and I can't sit down with getting hair all over me, then you have too many.

• Do you have enough room for them?
    gynocentrism.files.wordpress.com/.../...kfresh.jpg

Might have trouble keeping them form fighting, LOL ;-P

If only cats... anymore than 2 is a bad thing "RED FLAG" pointing out a cat lady.

Dogs... as many as you want... as long as you can take care of them (food, cleaning) and they don't make you home look/smell like a Kennel.

What type of puppy.

• Do you own a house or rent an apt. that'll dictate it. I own a house with a big back yard so my four dogs have plenty of space. My city's limit is actually 4 pets.

Rent a house. Residential and the backyard is medium-big.

My city limit is "There is a limits of six (6) dogs/cats per household; with not more than 3 being dogs"

hmmm that 3 dog stipulation is odd. I have 4 med. sized dogs and clean up gets out of hand. I'd keep an eye on it. I know someone that's just got evicted due to animal hoarding. She just couldn't say no to a stray dog needing a home. She's in Wext Texas her self. She has like 2 months to find homes for her kids and the 8 dogs.

I'm not really sure why that is. Didn't think too much of the 3 dog part of it.

Ouch about your friend. Well, this isn't the first group of baby animals she's found and taken in. :/ She lives in a house, so she's lucky in that sense.

• If we're talking about cats and dogs then I'd cap it at three, with at least one of those animals being a cat.

• In my case - 1 'Razor Ramon the Third' ( A Charles Manson type Cat ) is too much :(

All depends your living quarters. When I lived on a big propert I had dogs, cats and sheep ( saves mowing lawn :) )

• I personally wouldn't get more than 2-3... but it depends on your house, how many people you are, your income, etc

• After you have the second puppy time to quit... or you will have a full time job being the pet nanny... lol... But I do understand your love for animals.. If I could I would have a kennel...

• 4 pets and my dick seems to be the perfect number.

Take "dick" out of that sentence and it would have been the perfect opinion.

• 28d

I feel as though you and I have talked before... The name rings a bell. Not sure if it's positive or not.

• 28d

Probably somewhere in the comment sections. Surely not in private though.

• I think it ends at 4.

• Gotta catch em all is my motto!

• When you can't take care of them and/or are a c*nt who abandons them, in which case even 1 is too much

• You into animal hoarding now Sammy? lol

• I care too many stray dogs and cats.. I love them couse they are free animals.. Justbwe should care them.. They dont need home they dont need owner.. They need only love so i give them love and food..

• Are u going to turn your house into a Zoo or smt? All are female? U sexist gurl hah.. 😎

• I know people who live on farms so technically speaking all those animals are pets so...

• I remember someone who had half a dozen parrots, a grouchy old cockatiel, and several cats. Oh and a turtle and some other things in tanks.

• 200 Is too many

What Girls Said 14

• Cats are so low-maintenance that they almost don't even qualify as "pets" -- at least not from the standpoint of logistics, which is all you're considering in this question.
    (Cats are "pets" in the companionship sense, of course... but "how many is too many?" is a question about practical considerations, not about emotions/companionship.)

Logistics wise, cats don't even really become "pets" -- IE they don't start imposing a time/money burden -- until (1) you have to travel a lot and find yrself having to make arrangements for them, and/or (2) they get old and sick.

So... basically, in terms of THIS kind of question, you'll have 2 pets, not 4.
    ... or mb something like 2.2 or 2.4 pets. (I guess a cat is about 0.1 or 0.2 times as much work as a dog.)

__

You should check out yr local city/state laws, by the way. There are probably legal limits on the number of pets you can have in a residence. (I pm'd you an example)

If you rent an apartment, these limits might also depend on the square footage of the apartment. 4 animals in a SMALL apartment might actually be illegal.
    If you can't find out on the web, you can probably just call animal control, or yr local humane society/SPCA.

They qualify as pets at 2/3 am when they're in my face meowing to be petted. lol

I'll never understand. They have me part of the night but they choose to snuggle me when I'm asleep.

& It's a house that I rent. Would not be able to do this many pets in an apartment, that's for sure.

They meow for no less than 20 minutes. I could put ear plugs in but then I wouldn't hear my alarm go off.

Yes, they do get loud and if one meowing doesn't work, they'll both meow to wake me.

"I could put ear plugs in but then I wouldn't hear my alarm go off"

^^ I bet you would. If not, find a more distinctive alarm.
      People wake up from sound sleep if someone says their *name*, a lot of the time. Yr brain is ALWAYS listening (= the best argument for *always* wearing earplugs to sleep).

If you really, really, REALLY wouldn't hear an alarm that's at max volume 6 inches from yr head (again, I'm more than skeptical) -- then take the case off yr phone, put it on vibrate PLUS ring, put it in a metal bowl, and put the bowl on top a hard piece of furniture (like a nightstand).
      You DEFINITELY won't sleep through *that*.

@beerfarts had the same complaints (and the cityscape of NYC "meows" outside his window for a lot more than 20 minutes). He tried this suggestion and said it worked like a charm.

• I guess it depends on the person/place.
    4 pets is a lot and I think more than that does start being a bit too much - financially/energetically etc.

But if you have a huge house and farm for example, having 10 dogs being able to run around probably seems easy. But if you're in a smaller apartment, having 2 pets might take up a lot of room.

But the pet itself is different, 2 cats are a lot less effort than 2 dogs (generalisation but it's mostly accurate I think).
    A cage with 10 little birds is different to 1 large dog.

From the sounds of it, I think what you have is kind of normal, especially because it's a mix of animals, you aren't some crazy cat/dog lady.

But if you can take care of them and it's not at the expense of yourself, then who cares. I knew a girl who kept adopting pets but she'd always complain about not being able to feed herself etc and I stopped feeling for her after a while like "then stop adopting animals and take care of the ones you have...".

If I can't feed myself, there are problems. I'm stable with 2 cats and a dog. Honestly, there's room in my budget for another dog. Vet costs, toys, training, all of it. XD

I like the "crazy cat/dog" lady part. :P

If there's room in the budget and your house/yard/family, I don't see a problem with it being "too many".
      I think it's good if you have thought about it opposed to just being all "oh cute, lets get it" like my friend was. I'd see her as having "too many" and she too had 2 cats and 2 dogs, vs you who makes it work and is thinking about it.

Yeah, I'd totally be a crazy cat lady if I could, partner is allergic to cats, so I'm doomed to not ever get a little ball of cuddles.

• Pfffft! You're completely fine! I have a friend who practically owns a zoo! I'm not even kidding! Honestly it's probably not even legal how many animals he takes care of! But knowing how law abiding he is, some way, some how, he has tons of pets. He probably has somewhere near 50 or so. He's always buying new pets and taking in strays. He has about 5 or so dogs, a handful of cats, lots of lizards and snakes, an iguana, Guinea pigs, a prairie dog.. I think a couple of birds... I don't know just a ton of stuff!

• As long as each animal has adequate space, shelter, food, and stimulation-4 is not too many. I do think one person can have too many to personally handle ex) 10 small animals, chickens, 5 dogs, 4 cats, a 100 gallon fish tank, 7 reptiles... for one person, there's not enough time in the day to give each animal the love they need. For a large family, range, or rescue setting, more is fine though. ex) 40 horses on 200 acres is fine because they have space and companionship within their species.
    Bottom line: If you have the space and money and the animals have stimulation and their needs are met, why put a number on it?

• I think it depends on your time and income. Pets cost money, even if they were given to you. Vaccinations, vet care, flea and tick treatment and food are all essentials and if you want and can afford more then awesome 👍🏻

I have two dogs, pets are amazing 🙊💗

• We had 20 dogs at one point (puppies and adult) and that is definitely too much :P There are now only 11 dogs (I think :P ) but I still think that it's too much, especially seeing as I can't go home to help out every day, maybe like a max of 5 pets would be easier.

• Well it really all depends on the person. For some people, more pets also equals a happy pet parent studies have shown. However if the pets can't deal with each other, then you may need to chose over the other pet if they can't get along. Never force pets to be friendly when they don't. But it isn't too much if you enjoy pets and can be responsible for every one of them. I have 3 dogs, and their loads of fun when they want to be.

• As long as you have the resources and time to care for them all properly, it's ok.

• As long as you can afford to take care of them and give them the love and affection they need. I live in a small house have 1 cat and 1 dog. My sister lives in a more rural area with a large yard she has 2 dogs

• More than 3

• I currently have 8 dogs 🙈 I'd say that's too many hahah

Really? <3 Do you have all 8 with you?

litter *

Technically it was her 3rd but we adopted her so it was our first with her haha it was intense. They're about 2 months old now and absolutely adorable.

• Erm Idk? but I want to get a bunny and another dog... I'm going to end up with 100 pets :(

• Too many to take care of them all and yourself

• Never keep collecting 😎❤️❤️❤️ Send us a pic when ya get the munchkin! Please