Can oatmeal help you lose weight or gain weight?

In what foods can I get a good source of fibers in?

What Guys Said 4

• Grains like oats are high in complex carbs, so they'll tend to cause weight gain unless you balance your intake to your carbohydrate metabolism.
    Other than that, it's a healthy food

• Real oats like steelcut ones are good for you they have a good amount of fiber and high complex carbs which slowly break down inside you so its not like your eating sugar cereal.

• Vegetables... lol. Or "fiber one" products. Ultimately losing weight is about managing the calories you eat. All the other shit is extra little tips and tricks to squeeze out a few calories here and there. If you can't even count your calories properly all the other shit is useless cuz you'll be eating way more than you can offset with tricky food hacks and shit. So unless you've got your basic calorie control down, the rest doesn't matter in my opinion.

• 24d

I calculate my calories but I need a good boost of fibers..

• It's an easy way to control calories. 1 cup of oats + 1 3/4 cup of water is about 300 calories. Toss in some honey, cinnamon, and milk and a mug of joe and you're still under 500 but reasonably full. Eat a similar portioned lunch and whatever the hell you want for dinner and you'll have a relatively low calorie intake.

• 24d

Every time I've ever cut weight, it was with a cup of Quaker old fashion oat meal for breakfast 7 days a week. Most of the time I'd eat something like lentils for lunch...

What Girls Said 3

• Only if you exercise and they're not instant. I eat steel cut oats with fresh berries but that's only after I do 30 minutes of weight training and 30 minutes of cardio. But it's not something you should eat in the afternoon. Instant has a ton of sugar in it.

For fiber, eat vegetables. Don't eat processed fiber products because they have sugar additives that make them completely useless. Avocados (I know it's a fruit), artichokes, okra, brussel sprouts... all high in fiber. But all veggies have them.

• yeah, oatmeal is pretty good for losing weight, lots of people recommend it as a breakfast diet food. just make sure to get the non-flavoured kind with lots of fibre.

• Depends what you put in the oats, but it's ok. Try the organic oatmeal versions.
    If you want something with high contents of fibre, eat a lot of leafy greens

• 24d

What about Quaker oats from WalMart? Are those any good?

• 24d

Wow thanks a lot for the info, I appreciate it a lot.

• 24d

Lol no problem