Is it a bad thing to not care?

When it comes to most topics that people get offended or upset by, I am numb to them. They don't bother me. Unless a person is talking about something that relates to an experience that I have had, I don't care about it. I don't care who was elected president, I don't care what a certain person did or said, and I don't care about what goes on in this world.

I think my lack of care is a way of protecting myself from subjects that are depressing or worth getting angry over. Instead of getting sad or angry enough to jump off a fucking bridge, I just tune the world and my emotions out. I never take anything heart, and I am truly confused when someone apologizes to me a thousand times for knocking my guitar over or bumping into me. I don't let things in life get to me, because, if I did, I would rather cease to exist.

So, is it a bad thing to not care? Am I ignorant?

• Yes, it's bad.
  • No, it's a good thing.
  • Yes AND no (I'll say why below)

What Guys Said 14

• No, it just means you have common sense and aren't stupid enough to get involved with the petty stuff people cry about. I wish more women were like you, but most are the polar opposite. They'll gossip about anything and get mad about everything.

• It's a bad thing to not care, yes. But it's not a bad thing to be laid back and that take all of those to things to bed with you each night. So I'd try and tell you to find some middle ground. Because your a human being at the end of the day and if you truly don't care about any of the things that have a significant impact on your and others existence then what's the point? We have to care, surely, it's part of our nature. Part of what defines are species. If we stop caring then I think I'd rather cease to exist.

• Who cares?

Can't be too far gone if you bothered to ask.

Or, as I've been oft known to say, give no fucks about anything ever. Nothing matters, and in a hundred years, we'll all be dead, no one will remember us, and no one will care.

• Less stressful and more peaceful mind yo :)
    But sometimes it doesn't hurt to show some care

• Is it that you don't care, or you just aren't affected as easily as othe rpeople? Because their two totally different things

• You're doing nothing to help yourself learn how to cope with adverse news and events. They're never going to stop or go away, so growing up and learning how to deal with shit is a valuable skill. Also, you live in a democracy, and while you are enjoying all your rights and freedoms (for the time being, anyway) you can also give back and become an informed, active citizen. We're all connected, and giving a damn about others is part of what makes us human.

• I went through a period for about 5 months where my interest in everything (and I mean everything) went to literally 0. Luckily, I am not longer in this state because apathy is so much worse than pain in my opinion.

• 27d

Well I've been depressed for a few years now, so that might be why I have zero interest.

• I'm the same. I don't stress bout anything because of it tbh.

• Its not that bad at all. Just dont force it or else you won't be happy, just do what you feel is 100% you

• Probably only bad if you have zero empathy about anyone, even family or SO.

• Strangely enough, I don't care.

• no, you're a coward that's all.

• 27d

A coward for not caring? For not feeling anything? Sure...

• 27d

Think whatever you like, son, and enjoy the right that you have to do so, thanks to "cowards" like me defending your right to do so at great risk to our lives.

• 27d

@Notorisch_Arschloch no i have a right to an opinion, whether others think about it or not or disagree. i merely called her a coward (a genuine opinion) and then you beleive it's wrong. if she's your girlfriend, fine, but ok.

• Good and bad are very broad terms. Personally, I think this may be some sort of subconscious defense mechanism which 'protects' you from all the bullshit in this world. And it in no way makes you a 'bad person' because, again, that is a very broad term and is something that's entirely subjective and debatable. No one will ever decide on what's good or bad. You could have antisocial personality disorder (or something similar), but I don't think that's something to consider unless you have a repetitive habit of manipulation, bullying, reckless behaviour, etc,. and the fact you are even inquiring about this shows you care to at least some extent. And hey, at least you're not one of those brainwashed idiots who think the world is some amazing place filled with amazing people, blah blah blah.

• not saying it is definitely the case, but thats a typical aspergers/asd symptom. try an online test, there's plenty of 'em :)

• 27d

I would consider it to be perfectly normal.

• 25d

No. 0_o

• 25d

why not? being aspie is more fun once you realise it :D

i'd know lol

What Girls Said 5

• I am quite similar, honestly. I think it's a safe way of dealing with hardships in life. I JUST had this conversation with my Popsy last night. I love my cynism. It is pretty rare for me to get worked up over anything. It honestly has to be pretty big or effect my future for it to rattle me.

The only way I can say it's bad is if you forget how to feel empathy. When you cannot feel for/relate to another person, you might start to disregard the value of life (their lives in particular).

Tl dr: As long as you don't become a serial killer or something like that, you should be fine.

• 27d

so you're weak haha.

• 27d

This opinion made me laugh in school earlier. I was having a bad day. Thanks for the serial killer part. I can agree with the empathy part. There are times when I don't have much empathy for others, but that's usually when I am at my lowest and wish to die.

• 27d

I'm glad I could give you a laugh. That's what I was going for!

• No nothing is wrong with not caring. And the people that say they care are the ones on this site crying and pleading with folks to give them advice on why the gf/bf played them. Im so over hearing about how females got played.

• That's good that you're so immune to stuff like that.

• A bit of both I think. Just because something doesn't directly impact you doesn't mean it's not important to have empathy and concern for others that it does

• Why are people saying it's good? Interesting people always have an opinion, or most of the time at least, if you don't care about anything then...

• 27d

I didn't say that I had no opinions on the matters. I do have opinions, but I don't involve myself in such topics enough to have a factual-based opinion. I could say, "Trump and Clinton are awful," but I wouldn't be able to specifically explain why. The reason for that? I don't care. I stopped paying attention ages ago.

Choosing not to get involved with the world's most popular "events" (such as elections and Football) does not make anyone a boring person. Everyone has different interests. I choose the ones that are farthest from the crowd.