Calexit. Californians want to exit the U. S. after Trump’s presidential win. What do you think?

Londoners wanted to do the same thing after brexit. lol.

d
emocracy, democracy, democracy... until we dont get our own way.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/calexit-californians-exit-trump-win-article-1.2866382

Updates:
24d www.youtube.com/watch

i had to add this. fucking hell im dying with laughter.

1|2
11|21

What Girls Said 11

• This sort of thing would require a Constitutional amendment, so, it's unlikely to happen without an actual civil war. So, thinking about it is basically like writing an "alternative history" novel.

__

That said... A couple of things are relevant here.

1)
    California is a MAJOR net payor of federal taxes.
    On the spectrum from "PAYS more federal tax money" to "RECEIVES more federal tax money"... we're in 5th place on the "PAYS more federal tax money" side.
    wallethub.com/.../

Also, keep in mind that those metrics are dollar for dollar -- and we're almost two-and-a-half times as big as the #1-4 states on that list COMBINED. (≈39 million people, versus a total of ≈16.5 million for Kansas + New Jersey + Connecticut + Delaware).

In other words... We're basically subsidizing tons and tons of *other* states with OUR tax money. Without California, the US federal budget would be FUCKED, and the federal government would have to slash all sorts of different programs to keep itself from going bankrupt.

2)
    Without California and its HUGE agricultural production, the diet of "the rest of America" would mostly be a bunch of nutrient-poor grains (corn, wheat, etc). We grow almost ALL the nation's fruit and vegetables...
    www.slate.com/.../...hat_would_we_eat_without.html
    ... and so, if those fruits and vegetables became "exports", guess whose economy would benefit, and whose wouldn't.

3)
    If SOUTHERN California tried to become a nation, we'd be royally screwed by the water situation.
    BUT...
    There's enough water in northern California to make us *REASONABLY* self-sufficient there.

Besides -- Lots of people forget this, but, **by far** the biggest consumers of California's water are agricultural conglomerates (= the companies that grow all those fruits and vegetables I mentioned in point #2). Our agricultural industry is basically a giant export of water out of the state.
    So... if we *did* run out of water, we could just cut back the fruit and vegetable production. Or raise tariffs/prices on produce, so we could just buy more water from adjoining states.

4)
    Nevada would pretty much have to come with us. Otherwise, Nevada's entire economy would collapse.
    The

0|0
    0|0
    • 22d

VAST majority of Southern Nevada's economy (= Las Vegas and environs) is supported by tourists from Southern California. And the VAST majority of Northern Nevada's economy (= Reno/Tahoe/Carson and environs) is supported by tourists from Northern California.

So, we would have Nevada. With all the Colorado River water we'd get as a result.

5)
      If we could actually control "immigration" from the rest of the United States -- and if we had the intelligence to impose restrictions on housing ownership (e. g., not allowing absentee non-citizens to buy housing units) -- our housing market would become a lot more sustainable. Buh-bye, $5000/mo one-bedrooms in San Francisco! See ya, entire blocks of Santa Monica with owners in China!

6)
      We drill our own oil. Enough of it (in the area around Bakersfield) to be nearly self-sufficient. The rest, we could import -- just like the US does now. If anything, we could even strike deals with oil countries to which the rest of the US is hostile, such as

• Show All
    • 22d

TO me its dumb as hell

• Californians also voted to release non-violent criminals from prisons. These include, but are not limited to:

*Threats to a crime victim or witness
    *Active participation in a street gang
    *Vehicular manslaughter
    *Involuntary manslaughter
    *Battery with personal infliction of serious bodily harm
    *Throwing acid or flammable substances
    *Assault with a deadly weapon
    *Discharging a deadly weapon at an occupied dwelling, building, aircraft or vehicle
    *Rape where victim is incapable of giving consent
    *Rape by intoxicating substance
    *Rape where victim is unconscious of the act
    *Rape by threat of public official
    *Criminal Threats
    *Arson of a structure or forest land
    *Arson of property
    *Attempted Arson
    *Residential burglary
    *Grand theft firearm
    *Assault with a deadly weapon by state prison inmate
    *Holding a hostage by state prison inmate
    *Any felony involving the personal use of a deadly weapon
    *Exploding a destructive device or explosive with intent to bodily harm

0|0
    0|0
    • 24d

Um- sorry, but half of those do NOT sound like non-violent offences to me. They sound like non-violent offences to you?

• 24d

@SinghSong Those are offences that the state of California deems as non-violent. And, the California citizens voted those imprisoned with non-violent crimes be released early. My point was that Californians seem to be having some major issues that they need to deal with. They should not be worrying about exiting the U. S., but should be worrying about the people that they will now be releasing back into society.

• 'EXIT'...
    And don't let the No Wall and All, Hit you in your Butts on the way Out Yonder, which is... Tijuana, which is a Big Drug Smuggling Ring Thing? xx

0|0
    0|0
  • Sounds good, but for the fact that if we do the rest of the US will be even more fucked without California's representatives in the house/electoral college. And if an entire state wants to secede, exactly what part of that is undemocratic?

0|0
    0|0
  • Can they take oregon with them? We have water~

1|0
    0|0
  • Let their asses go...

0|0
    0|0
  • Tbh if California leaves the US I'll only be happier.

0|1
    0|0
  • Not gonna happen.

0|0
    0|0
  • They have my support.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah... TX has tried pulling this crap too.

0|1
    0|0
    • 22d

Texas hasn't *really* tried. The farthest they've gotten (since the 1880's or so) was a limp-wristed petition on the We the People web site.
      www.nytimes.com/.../...-white-house-rejection.html

What's weird is that Texas actually has the federally granted right to divide itself into 5 states, at literally any time.
      Here's the document giving the state that right:
      avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/texan01.asp

^^ That, I don't understand why they don't do that. Not only would they get 10 Senators instead of 2 -- but, if any of the 5 states had a population under 750,000 or so, the overall territory of Texas would actually *gain* representation in the House, too.

• they're a bunch o crybabies

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 21

• So did texas after the election in 08
    except here in california we control 80% of all produce in the US, we are also the bread winners when it comes to all states giving californians enough money to succeed from the US and probably even repel an attack.

0|1
    0|1
  • Stop trying to pull a Texas, California. Just accept the results and realize that politics always swings back and forth in different directions.

0|0
    0|0
  • I am seeing reports of it, I think just getting it out of their system after election.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm more pissed about the shitty propositions that passed.

1|0
    0|0
  • Didn't some southern state say the same thing when Obama won?

1|0
    0|0
  • Most don't. I'm from CA and I've supported Trump from the beginning of the primary. He's my first choice in this election.

0|0
    0|0
  • Question?

0|0
    0|0
    • 24d

no question, more of discussion about how pathetic people that value democracy can be when they dont get their own way.

• Show All
    • 24d

i didn't name it calexit... its from the article.

• 24d

They need to try again. Just adding a place in front of it doesn't make it work. Just like the morons who add gate after everything. People are terrible at play on words 😑

• Later skaters.

0|0
    0|0
  • Its not happening

0|0
    0|0
    • 24d

of course it won't. its just funny how democracy is almost a religion in the west until things dont go as planed. what is happening in the US is exactly the same thing that happened in the UK after brexit and i find it hilarious.

• 24d

@Death_of_rats
      The thing is its actually NOT POSSIBLE for them to leave,
      literally, they can want it all they want but we established that secession is impossible, we struck its amendment from the constitution and we fought very bloody civil war over it

• can we start an earthquake and help them out by breaking them off? everyone wins

0|0
    0|1
  • They can all take their happy asses to Mexico but the state stays. It doesn't belong to them, They are just squatting!

0|0
    0|0
    • 24d

Also didn't we fight a war over sucession that says they can't pull this shit.

• Show All
    • 24d

Seriously, we've invaded mexico a total of seven times

• 24d

@Waffles731 The strategy of small compromise to a defeated foe.

• What the hell, some of us don't

We won't pull that texas shit

1|0
    0|0
  • Those libtards don't speak for everyone else here

0|0
    0|0
  • They can't without the other states approving it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would leave, but I want to see how things go first

0|0
    0|0
  • I think the US is far too good at placing coups to let that happen.

0|0
    0|0
  • Almost as bad as the American lefties getting butthurt trump won and Shouting hot air that they'll move to Canada. They kinda confirm trump when non of them are volunteering to move to Venezuela or Mexico

0|0
    0|0
  • Looks like many of those Californians are all butthurt over the results of this election. It's not going to happen. The US will always have 50 states whether they like the results of an election or not. Regardless of who is the next president or not.

0|0
    0|0
  • Some Americans will only be happy once the federal structure is abandoned so they can be 51 separate countries. A confederation of 51 countries instead of a federal state.

0|0
    0|0
  • Problem with California, is that, it's like Texas. They're big enough to leave butttt, they wouldn't survive. They're dependent on water sources from other states

0|1
    0|0
    • 24d

Holy shit, someone with a brain!

• Show All
    • 22d

You guys are in a serious water drought, you have limits on how much you can use... trust me, you rely on other states for it, especially the colorado river

• 22d

We're only in a drought/water deficit -- and we only need the Colorado river rights -- because there's SO MUCH agricultural production in the state. About 9/10 of which is for the benefit of the other states (... and other countries, in the case of export crops like almonds).

The snowpack and rainwater table in Northern California is more than enough to supply the actual needs of Californians. Any water over and above that, is going to *surplus* agricultural production -- which would become EXPORT crops, in the case of a "cal exit".

__

Really, the only major problem with "cal exit" would be that we would (obviously) have to form a military alliance with the rest of the US.

• I think they were going on about how Texas were sore losers (and the ubiquitous "racist") last time for suggesting the same thing.
    I wouldn't mind California leaving.

0|0
    0|0