Should the US ditch the Electoral College?

And just tally the total # of votes?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• We should not go back to the popular vote system. We've had that in the past, and it didn't work for a reason. I don't like the electoral college either. I'll let you know when I come up with a solution🤔

What Girls Said 1

• On paper and for all purposes, yes; however, this could also be bad when people are voting based on feelings more than actual policies.

Like, if we actually chose a president just because she was a woman (which, actually, was a reason why lots of people voted for Hillary. Solely because she was a woman and they wanted a woman president) all the while ignoring actual issues.

So like, yeah, it would be more democratic than the electoral college but not necessarily so much better.

What Guys Said 13

• Ditch it? Yes.
    Go to vote by vote in a 2 party system? No.

I was researching this myself and supposedly Venezuela has a system that is holding up well. The only thing is... how successful a country is Venezuela? lol.

We should probably have an overhaul in the near future. And one of the changes I hope Trump makes is setting term limits so we no longer have lifelong career politicians. But what do we move to that will guarantee every demographic will be represented, have an actual say in what happens and it all still be fair as well as cheat proof? Or ridiculously difficult to cheat the system. It's really fucking complicated.
    And if we look to other countries to compare. How successful is that country first and foremost? And assuming they are successful, how effective is their system compared to our system? Does everyone get represented? What's the variability of cheating? What do they do in the event of a tie?

This issue is more multifaceted than simply going to popular vote. A handful of mainstream populous loaded with people who live in the big city have no fucking idea about anything in regards to the life of people outside of major cities like that. All the small towns, the farm communities, coal miners, oil field workers. Really any state that is largely invested in energy. It's a very different life and their views matter just as much as the people who live in major cities. But because more people live in the city they should dictate how farmers who really are near self sufficient should live their lives? That's not right.

• Considering how the delegates are not required to vote as the public wanted.
    This discrepancy and total disregard for the will of the people makes me feel the Electoral College should be replaced.
    The winner-take-all election method has some serious flaws.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wC42HgLA4k

The public has been talking about it for decades but the political institutions with vested interests in how the states are sliced to gerrymander the votes , I don't see the status quo changing any time soon.

• I originally thought yes, popular vote is better BUT now I think the electoral voting system makes more sense - it is a much much better system than popular vote especially for united states considering there is 50 independant states

• It should've been done away with ever since computers were invented

• 24d

Either go to full blown popular vote or create regional district point systems. That way, you can't have 99% of the state vote red and 2 cities offset it to make the entire state blue or conversely have 2 major cities blue, but the rest being red making the state red. The current system is literally throwing away at minimum 49.99% of the votes

• If it wasn't for the Electoral College, then New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago would decide the President every election. The Electoral College is supposed to make everybody's vote count, not just the big cities.

• Then it would just be a popular system which still would be bias cause some states have more people to vote than others that wouldn't fix the problem.

• I think it needs to be re-figured..

• Until voters have a consistently better turn out, no.

• The electoral college is necessary.

• Nope.

• Yes seriously

• Even if you want it gone, it doesn't mean they will actually get rid of it. It's been there so long that I've yet to see someone challenge it and have it repealed and removed.

• To prevent cases like trumps, yes.