Are you OK with Trumps plans to amend Obamacare (ACA) and the estimated costs it would incur?

As Trump has stated repeatedly in his campaign repealing Obamacare will be a primary task of his administration. However he has also said that he would keep certain aspects of it. Most people in his inner circle believe that rather than repeal Obamacare he will simply amend it (as it is far easier than trying to get a wholly new piece of legislation through the senate)

The primary changes would be
1. getting rid of the requirement to have insurance. Essentially people should choose if they can have insurance
2. get rid of borders. Currently insurance companies are limited in their coverage by state (or a few states). The idea of erasing borders is that it would increase competition and thus lower rates
3. let states determine how Medicaid funds get divvied up. essentially this puts the onus on states to make sure that Medicaid adequately meets the needs of the poor

he plans to keep the pre-existing condition clauses that make it illegal for insurance companies to deny coverage due to pre-existing conditions (something that I fully support)

the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget (a supposed unbias non-profit group with ties to big tobacco and fiscally conservative groups) have estimated that Trumps plan would cost about $550 billion dollars and increase the deficit in the long run far greater than the current ACA

As a health finance worker I believe Obamacare if flawed. IT has great pluses (like the pre-existing condition stuff) but major flaws like increases in premiums as much as 200% in some states

Subsequent question:
only about 5% of those who received insurance under Obamacare would still have insurance under Trumps plan (so about 19million people would lose insurance)... Are you OK with this?

I know some will just use this as a platform to bash or support any Trump initiative but i'd of course appreciate a serious discussion on this subject

• I'm excited about Trumpcare
  • I don't like the idea of Trumpcare
  • Other
  • Unsure
  • I want to see results

Most Helpful Guy

• I think the best solution would be to have a universal health care system, which will definitely not happen under a Trump administration and especially not with the Republicans in Congress.

The U. S. is the only industrialized nation that does not have a universal health care system. While it may not be perfect, countries that do have it aren't protesting to switch to private health care.

So not disliking it enough to protest is enough reason for us to consider it a good idea to switch to universal? Okay lol. As a healthy young man I'd rather just pay for catastrophic. I've been sick once in the past 8 years of my life.

the simple problem is American democracy doesn't really allow for drastic change (evidenced by the 2 party system with all its flaws). i, and a lot of people i've talked to, think obama's desire was to go to the single payer universal method but he took the baby step of federal and state mandated health in tandem with private health sectors knowing that the push back (especially from the insurance companies and their billions invested in PACs, lobby's and special interests) would stop his proposal before it started

And the insurance does need to change. I'm not saying what happened to you is justified. You shouldn't have been denied insurance just because your brother has cerebal palsy. But you don't need Universal Healthcare in order to get coverage. at least not with the current proposed plans. You could simply have catastrophic insurance and you personally would be covered for the accidents you had previously.

What Girls Said 5

• TrumpCare... I don't Give One Hill of Bumbling Beans if it's Called..."Dapper Don Dare."
    ObamaCare has Been a Train Wreck right from the Start. Many ALL over the USA Feel it is is a Bad Deal. A Rip Off.
    Repeal it, Donald, like you have Promised and are Already Planning to do as I even Write this Here, dear. xx

Thank you kindly for the Like and always being so accommodating. xx

• I do like the idea of not having to have insurance. I currently don't have any because I can't afford it. If I can't afford insurance why the hell would I able able to afford being fined for it?

I remember when that crap came out... people were like you would get in trouble if you don't get health insurance, i was like how the fuck are they gonna know i don't?
      Last time i voluntarily went to the hospital was over a decade ago and it was just for mandatory immunizations. I wasn't gonna pay for something i wasn't gonna use. I was like Fuck Obamacare...

@JohnDoe3000 Well then i guess its good not everyone is doing it then huh lol...

@madhatters4

Public or not, HSA only work if you pay enough in federal tax to deduct your healthcare costs entirely. It doesn't work for the unemployed, retired and people wih low-paid jobs, but Trump was born a millionaire so it's not like he gives a fuck...

• i don't know a single American who had obamacare

21 million people did. but based on the specifics (rather than your hate of all things democratic) how do you feel about trump's plan

I just hope that whatever Trump hopes to replace it with is better somehow

I do.. I pay $370 a month for it

• Who is that? Trump?

• That's what I was saying from the beginning. Trump's a liberal, not a conservative. All the liberals protesting him are too dumb to realize that.

• 26d

well they are protesting the things he said during his campaign. much of which was very inflammatory. people aren't dumb. they hard some of the intolerant bigoted things and expressing the dissatisfaction with that. his plans to amend the ACA were only a tiny part of his campaign. you have to see this right?

What Guys Said 22

• www.caintv.com/trump-releases-seven-point-hea

Forgot that you can write it off on your taxes if you do decide to get it. That's a rather big deal. Opening up the borders on drug companies that offer safe, tested medications that can help. So we don't have a situation like we have with CBD oil from cannabis. It's a great treatment that has shown to cure seizures. The new plan also requires transparency so that everyone can see prices. You get to easily shop around for the best deals. I remember how pissed off I was for my ex girlfriend over a year ago with her healthcare. Just scheduling a fucking an appointment was a nightmare. With these changes companies like that go out of business for shit treatment, because people won't take them up as a healthcare provider.

And it'd be cool to not be fined for not having healthcare, or not having Medicare specifically. It was a horrible system. Just glad it'll be over soon. Seriously can't express how annoying dealing with this was the past few years. Especially if you've changed jobs in the past few years and had a gap where you wouldn't be covered by insurance by your previous job.

i'll just offer counter points... but trust me i respect your opinion
      insurance without borders: has long been a theory proposed. literally decades. the good, it creates competition. competition almost always leads to better pricing. it can also reduce networks
      cons: the biggest common belief by public health officials is that without borders you lose a lot of structure of care. with greater competition would come more insurers trying to vie for business. without heavy oversight, in an effort to create the best looking plans payers may line up care that is inadequate. but furthermore there are actually no federal regulations on borders but rather states enforce the rules on this. multiple states have "opened their borders" and literally no one has entered that market place. most insurance companies tend to like the limited market ability. and most national insurers

so there is good and bad

I don't see any health insurance plan that could have covered such an expensive set of procedures tho. Not in a way that is fair to all people. I definitely agree that there is probably always going to be accepting bad, with the good in every plan. But maybe we need more overalls to how Emergency medical works as well and not just health insurance.

no need to be sorry. it was a freak accident and i'm fine. lucky. and fine

• I like the idea of point 2, about eliminating the state borders to increase competition.

The only roadblock I can see... is how premiums will still fall, while maintaining the Obamacare clause of insurance companies being forced to take on insureds with any pre-existing conditions. The reason this is a major roadblock, is because insurance companies said the main reason for the hikes in premiums, is because they are forced to take on these high-cost people under the Affordable Care Act.

It will be interesting to see how the Trump administration handles that. #StayTuned

• 25d

i think you raise a good point. i don't really see how premiums will necessarily be lowered or stop rising with the trump plan. i guess the elimination of borders (which i think will be a very hard sell in Congress as it has been for decades) could increase competition and increased competition usually leads to lower prices for consumers

• 25d

public health is my field. my opinion and most i work with is that obama's ultimate plan was to get to a single payer system (to match the model of most universal health plans around the world. so that would be the socialist medical program that could then dictate pricing of costs as well as costs of services. but i'm pretty sure it would've been impossible to get a single payer system passed through at the time Obama was working the ACA

• 25d

It definitely was impossible, especially with a Republican dominated Senate and House during his time in office.

• I think this is a problem that won't be solved easily - Having an awful lot of people not with access to healthcare does worry me but on the flipside those Obamacare prices are ridiculous, they are like about 8 times what they are in Ireland whose fees I think are hugely expensive.

In Ireland the taxpayer contributes more to total healthcare costs than in the US.

@Saoirse_Nua I see what you're saying and I think it's good they have both options in that regard. One of the things that's screwed up about the US health care system was when I was 19 years old, I broke my wrist and had to get surgery, with insurance, I almost had to drop out of college just to pay for medical bills. I don't think me or anyone's life should be ruined due to that. No one should go broke because they got sick and no one should die because they can't afford treatment.

• Obamacare is already in ashes. Either Trump has to radically amend it or fully dismantle it and start over.

based on the details listed of trumps planned amendments are you in favor of it? does it sound like it still has flaws?

i've had self funded insurance from my employee for 8 years. prior to the ACA i literally paid nothing. this is in part because i work for a healthcare company but in part because the costs were low enough that our employer felt comfortable paying our premiums

after ACA we initially were paying $181 but then when that insurance policy lapsed our premiums jumped to more than $2600 per year. we just got a different insurance with a sligthly better overall policy but my premium for a year is over close over $4000.

so selfishly i'm excited about anything that will reduce my out of pocket costs.

Health science can provide much more medical care than what Government can afford to provide. People's desire for care is insatiable. Some rationing of care is a must if you're to have any expectation of success. Let individuals either "self-pay" or "self-insure" for what Government Care won't/can't cover.

• I have university health insurance. It's really basic. But before I wasn't covered at all. Never had insurance.

Never really needed it. Went to the doctors only when the school needed that I have a physical examination and proper vaccines.

Never got the flu shot. And only fractured my hand once.

So never really went to hospitals. I don't need insurance, I take care of my body. I sleep 8 hours almost everyday, I have a balanced diet, exercise everyday.

Maybe when I get old I will need it.

i understand your situation. up until 26 years old i never had been in a hospital. never broken a bone. the most i did was go for routine physicals. but then at 26 a slept walk (something i'd never done in my life to my knowledge), walked out on my balcony and over the edge. woke up in an emergency room. without insurance there would have been simply no way i could've paid the bills... that's the conundrum. accidents can happen and without insurance or a way to pay for care the costs get passed on to people with insurance

i completely understand your argument of you're healthy. i was the same way, and since the accident have been totally healthy. but as i said accidents can happen and i think that is the logical point of requiring (similar to auto insurance) health insurance

are you serious about the cyst or just being hypothetical?

if serious. i bet it could cost you less. don't accept their face value offer. if you know what insurers pay speak to a biller at your doc's office and tell you want to negotiate. i'd truly offer about 50% of what insurers pay. if you know the specific procedure i could give you details on costs and what you could negotiate... it's literally part of what i do for a living

providers bill insurance companies higher (usually way higher) than the true costs knowing insurances companies are going to under-reimburse. lots of providers will actually appreciate doing business with you (as long as you sign an agreement) knowing that htey dont have to deal with an insurance company

@madhatters4 since I pay in cash, they usually give me breaks. I actually have a cyst lol! Only bad thing that has happened to me. As long as i monitor and treat any sort of throat or sinus infection quickly, I should be fine.

• Most of Trump's plan are based on long term growth that would sustain itself not immediate gratification. His points for health care are excellent

www.donaldjtrump.com/positions/healthcare-reform

Except the US would need faster growth than it had in the '50s and '60s, or what China and India have today, and this would have to go on forever... It's just not even physically possible, basically the US would end up like Greece.

well that was obama's plan as well, as in a long term fix. most healthcare reform will only be a limited short term solution with a goal towards long term stability.

• I want Obamacare gone so yes I'm fine with it.

The premiums on Obamacare are horribly high and if you don't use Obamacare your taxed every year with an outrageous amount that increases every year until you give in and use Obamacare.

are you ok if it is just amended which sounds like what trumps HHS candidate would want?

Yeah I'd probably still be ok with that, but we'll just have to see what he does.

• It's more expensive, covers less people (mainly the meth head rednecks who voted for him, so I guess that part is karma) and repubs in congress will demand to make it even worse before they vote for it.

• 1 and 2 are actually surprisingly good ideas,
    However as we saw with Reagan fucking disgraceful wrecking of the mental health system, 3 is a fucking terrible idea

• The fact is Obama care has been a huge failure that is highly unpopular with the majority of Americans. All that Obama promised about it hasn't come to fruition

i appreciate the sentiment and while i disagree that it has been a HUGE failure, I'll say it has some serious flaws, i'm more interested in if the trump plan sounds good.

I want to engage in a healthy discussion so i am trying. most within trumps circle, his suggested HHS secretary all suggest that rather than repealing it he will make amendments to it. based on the outline changes above do you feel like that will adequately fix things?

No I don't. I think it will improve it but I don't think it will fix everything

• I'm against 3rd party healthcare for profit. Some things transcend economics... like living 😑

The dining thing doesn't make sense. I'd rather them just keep it. For those who opt out of it and/or don't use it for that year, just make it a tax refund

• I'm never excited when people's healthcare is reduced to number crunching. 19 million people isn't a lot only when we stop setting people.

"when we stop setting people" ... i imagine you meant another word than setting

19million people represents 5% of americans. if 5% of americans are stripped of something there is going to be an outcry. so it has to be considered

interesting such as? seems like 19million people is a very large segment of americans to be effected in a single swipe

Poverty. Poor education and schooling. The prison and reintegration system (see recidivism). Etc.

And that's not even the vague elements like racism and sexism.

• I favor repeal of Obamacare. It is not the purpose of government to provide all of our needs for us.

• 27d

government of the people for the people, the people is the purpose of the government. seeing as health is necessary for survival it is a right not a luxury. needs being things you can not live without are precisely what the government is supposed to be dealing with. trillions of $ go to war, but health care should be privatized..

• 27d

and practically speaking its very expensive when people can't get healthcare... the country is weakened when its citizens are not healthy.

• 27d

@AriadneSky Is the government suppose to provide housing for everyone? Food? Clothing? Some people define sex as a need; should the government provide prostitutes for everyone?

If healthcare is a constitutional right, why did we exist for 220+ years without something such as the "Affordable" Health Care Act?

The fact that you need something doesn't mean that you have a right to make other citizens spend their money to buy that thing for you.

• You're not losing insurance if the cost of a yearly checkup is more than it would have been without insurance.

i think i know what you're trying to say but dont want to assume. can you explain or expand a bit

You probably do, I can't really tell you if anyone is really paying more for stuff with it than without it, but what I can tell you is that the deductions are so high, all these numbers are so high and it's supposed to be for people living paycheck to paycheck.

My parents went through a time where in between buying houses we kind of accidentally ended up in a situation like that for a few months. I remember how long they talked about getting a pizza. So how can people that have been in worse positions than us possible pay hundreds for even simple things?

So what I'm saying is that if insurance was so expensive you could never use it, you never had it. so the 19 million people losing insurance line didn't really make sense to me.

gotcha. yeah i agree my dates tripled. i support aspects of obamacare but feel it could be greatly improved

• in the Netherlands they also have a system where you as an individual can choose between paying for health care or not. obviously if you don't pay for it you have to pay for your own medical bills if you have health problems.

in my country you are forced to partake in the system and you as individual does not have a choice in the matter. i find the system of the Netherlands far superior than that of my country so i believe trump's system is a good thing.

and besides, isn't liberalism focused on increasing freedom of the individual? so what trump will do is in favor of liberals. so liberals should just shut the fuck up already.

what is the last two sentences about? don't know if you really pay attention but the amending of ACA is very popular. Even Clinton said she would amend it. so liberals and conservatives alike for the most part agree it needs reform... i get you don't like liberals but there really isn't a need to bash them at every possible turn.

this is about legislation that effects every single American not about who you voted for, what you a registered as, or how much you hate some politic. the American healthcare system is flawed. one president attemped to fix the broken sink but there were still leaks. so a new president has suggested that he has a fix... I'm curious if people believe his fix will work. That's all

@Blitzkrieger

Healthcare insurance is 100% mandatory in the Netherlands and this system was the principal inspiration for Obamacare.

The word liberalism means very different things in Europe and America.

• Fuck
    Yes.

Give me my high quality healthcare back.
    (Though I have always had excellent insurance so wasn't negatively impacted as others.)

• obamacare should be eliminated so ya

• Do it

• I pay $370.00 a month for ACA. Hardly affordable. But his plan isn't even a plan at all, its an IDEA because they dont want his legacy.

not sure i understand why you say "they dont want his legacy."

Who is they? do you mean trumps legacy or obama's legacy?

• And so the idiot begins his plan to make America worse

you mind expanding on how the plan makes america worse? by the way i am not a trump supporter but i think we have to take every thing at face value for analysis

in a sense yes. in another sense no. the electoral college voted in trump. hillary got the majority of votes. i wonder if you asked all 3rd party voters how they feel. this was an election where the third party voters truly determined this outcome. in PA hillary lost but less than 100k votes. if she'd gotten about 30% of the johnson votes and 50% of the stein votes she would've taken pennsylvania

same in wisconsin, florida, and michigan

• Yes its costing half my paycheck and If I opt out they charge me anyway.

i hear you about the costs. but in reality the opt out is only $700 per year. so it is far cheaper than having insurance

but still i hear you about the costs. my premiums have gone up 300%

And they will keep going up

• We'll yet see how it actually turns out to be.