Are people in unanimous agreement that the press is horribly biased and not trustworthy?

Seems like it

28d Btw: I'm not talking about the slight bias that is always there no matter what, but the clear in your face bias, like it's pretty clear a certain network favors a candidate or a political party and there's no denying it

Most Helpful Girl

• yup, which is why i never listen to one source of news now. I used to feel like i could generally trust what i hear from certain news outlets, now i've learned they are just stupid adn get manipulated by everyone around them... and when they aren't stupid they are doing the manipulation themselves.

There is no such thing as unbiased in news these days.

Most Helpful Guy

• As a general principle, any information I get in life, my immediate thought is "who/what is the source of this info, what agenda might they have for giving me this information, how do their own personal feelings slant this information, and is this information completely accurate?"

As for the news and whatnot... that's a TV show like any other, designed to get strong ratings and in turn generate ad revenue from commercials. They know there's a market for both factions, plus journalists, personalities, etc in that industry all have individual feelings that will sway what they say or write, and they will gravitate towards, and are probably more likely to be hired by, a network or media outlet that has like-minded views at the top. If you're liberal, you probably want to work for MSNBC, if you're conservative, you probably have aspirations to be on FoxNews. Media is biased because it's made up of people, and people are normally biased. Then you get financial or political interests involved behind the scenes and who knows what the hell goes on from there. For myself, I try to believe what I see over what I hear or read about, and independently make up my own opinions based on my own code of ethics and morals.

What Girls Said 12

• It depends. I think you need to ask yourself if there is a difference between the press and the media. Cable news is shit and always has been. It was never journalism and I think this is why most of us have a bad taste in our mouths 👄 f this is how we get our news.

But there are still many journalists and newpapers with integrity. The part Americans don't like that has always been true is that you have to consume a story from more than one source to get he full picture in a lint of cases. This is because even the best papers slightly lean one way or another because they are produced by humans, not machines.

I will say NPR ran their fundraising even the week before the election and I gladly gave them money but was upset that they weren't running a Henry Penny The Sky is Falling monologue the day after the election.

I was upset because of my own personal bias. If you know the feeling of losing a husband, child or sibling young you will know that your first thought and since of doom upon waking up for days or weeks after that your loved one is dead. That's the feeling I woke up with Wed and Thurs but you realize life has to go on.

So I turn back on my NPR and find that they are giving calm advice about Trump policy and how best he can undo Obama's Executive Actions and the course it will take. I also read BBC articles, The Post and NY Times along with watching Fox News just to see what blue collar workers are taking in and subscribing to.

There is no mass global conspiracy and facts do exist. I'm sure you can find a news channel or paper that tells you what you want to hear if that is what you are looking for. But don't assume every other news source in the world is lying and that facts dont exist.

I will say this quite biasedly though, I love my skin and color but not as much as I love my country and civil liberty for all.

I know we are getting there but you whitemen and some women have just opted out of being part of the process. it's sad that you don't want a seat at the table 'cause if you ain't at the table you're on the menu.

• I get my news from reliable online sources such as the free thought project.

• 28d

But you definitely don't trust any of the major news channels?

• 28d

I don't have cable and I don't watch TV except online, so I don't watch the news anyways. But no, and especially not FOX news...

• 28d

For profit news is a problem. The BBC, NPR and old well establish newspapers are sources for news. The cable news is just hype. If you really want to geek out on an important piece of legislation there is CSPAN which lets you make you own decisions on the floor of the House.

For or against Trump we should all be paying attention. This is history and stands to have long lasting impact on foreign affairs.

• I think I'm gonna have to agree with that... it's human nature to b bias, its just more noticeable (and inappropriate) when its something so public and popular...

• Yes, the media is always biased. Any documentary, film, book, or article is biased in some way or another. There is no escape from it, because how one person sees something will be different from someone else.

If you want to become unbiased towards media, you have to look at multiple sources and be aware of the different perspectives. Then you can mix and match the facts together to create the "real" story—which in the end, is ironically, your biased opinion.

• 28d

I'm not talking about the slight bias that is always there no matter what, but the clear in your face bias, like it's pretty clear a certain network favors a candidate or a political party and there's no denying it

• 28d

Oh yes, the media is hugely biased when it comes to political parties/candidates for the US. It's pretty clear who they're voting for just from watching about 10 minutes of it.

• Here's an interesting article: socialpsychonline.com/.../

• Haven't trusted them for years.

• Not all press is that bad in my opinion. Yea, some outlets are terrible, others are not that bad.

• Yeah ofc.

• Especially fox.

• Yes. But if you watch the right kind of news you'll fell more comfortable.

• This is very true

• Yeah because they are.

What Guys Said 21

• Bias? Yes. The large majority is strongly biased to the left. Different professions tend to attract different types of people. Journalism, acting, art, musicians are all heavily weighted with liberals. I'm not just talking about news, that's minor. Most television programming is strongly biased to the left.

Trustworthy? Yes and no. When it comes to news, I think it's generally factual. There are exception, but mostly it's factual. What makes it not trustworthy is when it's taken out of context to imply something that's not true. That's true in news, other media, very strongly in marketing and politics. Sometimes the implied lie is very blatant and obviously intentional.

It's up to the viewer / reader to filter bias. They need to understand how much context can change the meaning. To understand context usually requires at least some knowledge of the subject, or at least a good bullshit meter.

Another category is lying with statistics. This is also done by news, marketing and politicians. People seem to be very bad at misinterpreting statistics. So it's very easy for the liars to get by with it.

Anyway, I don't pay attention to the news. I don't watch TV, ever. I used to raed the entire newspaper every day, but haven't read it for years now.

Actually GaG is my main source of news. Or I should say it's a starting point, since I go out and do my own digging into just about every piece of news I see here. News itself is a secondary source. I usually try to find the original source if possible. I'd rather dig into it and figure out for myself what I think is going on, rather than rely some biased and not too bright journalist to interpret it for me.

• I think one huge problem in the American media landscape is the fact that all the major outlets are essentially profit-oriented, private corporations (who all belong to old, filthy rich fuckers). For them, reporting facts isn't a priority because it's not about actual information, it's about quotas. Whether you work for MSNBC or Fox News, you're essentially told the same mantra: whatever you do, give us good stories. By "good" they don't mean "true" but melodramatic, sensationalistic bullshit. The whole American media landscape is one big steaming pot of rainbow-press poop. And in a way, Americans don't deserve it any better because they're not willing to pay some money to get a public-funded, unbiased, non-commercial, professional TV-station such as BBC in England, ARD/ZDF in Germany or SVT in Sweden (because that would be socialism oh no! Oh god, save us! Socialism! HELP!) Here in Switzerland, every household is required to pay roughly 500 USD per year to the national radio and television association. This is government-licensed and subsidized institution (not a company) that produces a variety of TV and radio shows. Not only are they unbiased and trustworthy, but you also don't need to go through half an hour of commercial break for every 5 minutes of actual content like on many private channels. For us, this works really well and surveys have shown that a large majority of Swiss people trust the media (private channels are also available of course). Unfortunately, Americans love crony capitalism so much that they would never agree to such a system.

In the case of newspapers, the situation is even simpler: good newspapers need financial resources. You can't write amazingly insightful articles or investigative journalism pieces if your readers expect everything for free. It just doesn't work. That is why it's always a good choice to get a newspaper subscription. We have free newspapers here in Switzerland and many people read them on the public transportation but I don't do that because good things always have a price. You can't possibly get good information from these medias. That's why I prefer to pay 400 bucks a year for a good newspaper. I'm a university student, so I'm definitely not rich but I care about being educated and well-informed, so that's a price I'm willing to pay because I think it's something important.

• Certainly there is bias, as in any business, because the owners run it their direction. Interestingly I most often hear how biased the liberal media is, but the worst cases I see are on the right. Fox is one of the absolute worst. They "sit down" to discuss a story and from hat moment eye are not reporting, but are editorializing.
    But as for stations that simply report, how biased is it when they report a person shot, where they were shot, and that police are looking for a suspect. Most news is that kind of report, just a statement of what happened. And that is what the news reports are usually made of... just reporting hints that have happened. But you get the outlets like Fox and they go off on why it happened and that is usually a contest to see who can come up with he most outlandish ideas.

• It's funny how people say that the media is untrustworthy and bias, yet use media to source shit. Anything you look up professionally is media. People wanna have it both ways. With that said, it is. I forgot the case, but the Supreme Court in the 80s essentially made it legal for the news to lie and not have to report facts, hence the reason why Fox News, MSNBC, CNN, etc still exists

• 28d

They need to overturn that Supreme Court decision soon then

• 28d

It's been 30 years. I doubt they'll ever overturn it

• 28d

My bad. It was a case in 2004... the reasoning is because 24/7 media outlets like CNN, Fox News (who was the broadcasting company being sued and what led to this result) and MSNBC, etc, were deemed as entertainment and not news 😑

• Yep. There's studies that say 6% of Americans trust the media.

• 28d

Nice, well hope the media is paying attention to thay

• Press or whatever, never rely on just one or two sources. Even less if they're from the same family.

• Very much so they are playing to their base - You now have to read the same story from two sources and decide the truth is somewhere in the middle

• Yeah, most are pretty biased.

• I am definitely in agreement on that.

• i think we can all agree on that.

• People, including the press, are usually very biased.

• I haven't seen the press show anything that wasn't true outside of their opinions.
    They have shown partial arguments and one sided arguments, but nothing more.
    The press is very similar to the elves when they existed in this dimension. They'd never lie, but they'd often use half truths.

• No shit. If Americans ever think they have it bad, they should look up the Liberal party's ties with Canada's media.

• 27d

One of Trudeau's first "accomplishments" after getting elected was giving CBC a $700 MILLION budget increase.

• I am, yes.

• The mainstream media... absolutely.

• yes it's undeniable

• Absolutely. It wrecked Hillary's campaign by telling liberals they had won so they never voted.

• yes, it's shameful. I think a non biased TV news station would be a big hit and make a lot of money.

• Yes, your best bet is to stay away from all news networks on TV, and stick to conservative radio programs and the Internet.

• The media has lost its credibility. Its stories and coverage are meaningless now as they have been exposed for their extreme bias. That ship has sailed.

• The only one I mostly trust is Sean Hannity. I still research to verify stuff too.
    I don't trust Limbaugh, or others like him, and especially not many of the ones on MSNBC and CNN.