Does it annoy anyone else around my age when their parents try to talk to you about your future?

I talk to my mom every once in a while about it, but its once in a blue moon. I have good conversations with her. But when my dad tries to talk to me i don't say anything, and i can't stand it. I just get so irritated that i dont wanna even respond to it. Im going to school, and getting my work done, but he's always on my case about it. And i just sit there and listen cause it pisses me off to no end, because its almost expected on a daily bases... Is anyone else like that?

What Girls Said 4

• Yes, it's very very irritating when they're always complaining to you about your future. The only thing you can do now is go to school and do well in your classes. Show them results. If you can show them good results, it usually ends up with them backing off a little because you can prove to them that you don't need their help all the time.

However, I do agree with @kickme because your parents do this all in your interest. They do this to give you some guidance in life and to make sure that you're ready to become truly independent.

• Not about career but other topics.
    It's mostly because my family is accustomed to using a tone that feels like they are scolding but they are not, however I can't stand it.

• It's not so much the "talking about my future" that bothers me as much as it is the "I'm going to lecture you and ask questions that have no right answers". It's so unproductive.

• 20d

Exactly!! like every day is the same questions, as if I made up my mind in less than 24 hrs. and then It turns into a lecture

• 20d

I feel ya man. Just keep agreeing with whatever they say until they get it out of their systems.

• Honestly my best advice is wait till you move out of their house. I find my mom and I get along way more now

What Guys Said 2

• my parents did this to me. I have no children. If you listen to their advice, by the time you are my age you will be so grateful there won't be any way you can possibly thank them enough

• 20d

I know, its just irritating that my dad expects new news whenever he asks, as if i made up my mind in less than 24 hrs.

• 20d

i always tell myself that i will be thankful in the end for their advice.

• yes its the same with me man uhhhh and it tires so much.