Would You Ever Get A Pit Bull as a pet?

I would, if it were easier to get them in Australia (they are currently a restricted breed) then I would get one in a heart beat, as it is when I can I will be getting a staffie.

I know pit bulls have a shit reputation, but I honestly believe that reputation is entirely undeserved. Most of the dogs the media calls 'pit bulls' after a dog attack has happened, are in fact NOT pit bulls at all.
https://pethelpful.com/dogs/10-Breeds-Most-Commonly-Mistaken-For-Pit-Bulls
This site lists the dog breeds most commonly mistaken for pit bulls, and while it's only the top ten, with the amount of dog attacks that happen each year, you can see how, calling over ten breeds pitbulls that aren't, might give pitbulls a bad rep.

Pitbulls are the sweetest animals you will ever come across! And most dog attacks that happen, pitbull or not, either weren't attacks (the dog nipped the person because they pissed it off) or was completely warranted (can we say abusive owner much?)

I've been bitten by a dog. Did I get upset? No. Because I could understand that I was entirely in the wrong and like an idiot had ignored the dog telling me in its language that it didn't like what I was doing and to stop. When I didn't stop, THAT's when it bit me. (I had tried to pet it through the fence by the way. I was fifteen, shut up, I know it was stupid)

I have never experienced a time when a dog has seriously hurt someone and been in the wrong. I have never experienced that, whether by personal experience or word of mouth. The closest I've gotten is the news telling us there was a dog attack and blaming pitbulls when you can tell by the images that it's clearly a boxer, or even a fucking doberman as happened once. Very rarely has the media been able to prove the dog was in the wrong, and fewer still that it was in the wrong AND was a pitbull.

So would you ever own a pitbull?

• Yes
  • No
  • Depends
  • Other

What Guys Said 11

• No but not because I find them dangerous, but because they are ugly to me. Give me a Labrador or Bulldog any day. Also, while they are not inherently dangerous, they are unquestionably dog aggressive which leads to further incidents.

• 25d

unquestionably dog aggressive? In what way, who says so, and what are your sources? I have never seen a dog aggressive pitbull.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUX6qLumiPs
      Or is THIS your definition of a dog aggressive animal?

I'm not trying to be rude but it REALLY irks me when people go and tag those labels on pitbulls, when there is very little proof.

• 25d

Arn't

• 25d

Bred to be not need to be

• I would suggest with anyone doing background checks on anyone who
    breeds Pit Bulls, before I would make any attempts to purchase one
    It's not the Pit Bull that is a bad dog it's the person who breeds them
    i know a neighbor of mine got a Pit Bull and the dog is friendly but she
    likes to jump so you got be careful. Myself I'm not a fan of bigger dogs
    i like smaller dogs ( Cocker-Spaniels, Shih Tzu, Lhasa Apso ).

• No, not a pitbull fan. And apparently they are actually a lot more dangerous than most breeds. This source says from 2005-2015, 360 Americans died in dog attacks and 62% of the time it was a pitbull. www.dogsbite.org/...bite-statistics-fatalities.php

• 25d

Can they prove that it was a pitbull though? Or are they just generalising to other breeds that simply resemble a pit?

• 14d

No idea. Do you have any source showing what percent of fatal dog attacks are pitbulls? I'm kind of just googling and seeing what pops up. This source also says that pittbulls are the majority in fatal dog attacks in the USA, followed by rottweilers.
      http://www.caninejournal.com/dog-bite-statistics/

• Never. I would never have any dog. I've always been more of a cat person, but I don't even have time to take care of one of them anymore.

• They're dinosaurs and need to be killed.

• No because they will kill you. I can find tons of videos of pit bulls attacking people but you can't find nearly as many videos of people getting attacked by other breeds. Pit bulls are vicious, blood thirsty savages!

• I might.
    I know that pitbulls get a bad rap.
    My moms cousin had a pitbull and it was just the sweetest thing

• 25d

I've never met a pitbull (restricted breed where I live) but I've seen a lot of videos, and I love staffies, some sources have said that staffies are actually MORE aggressive than pitbulls, but staffies to me are just sooks (in the good way) so if that's the case, then just how much sweeter can the pitbull BE?

I would go through every hoop I had to, to own a pitbull, especially if it was a rescue one.

• Of course. A friend of mine has one and she is one of the sweetest dog I've ever met

• 25d

I know! It amazes me how many people know the truth about pitbulls and yet they are still stereotyped as being these highly aggressive beasts that deserve to be euthenised the moment they show their teeth.
      It's disgusting.

• 25d

Agree

• My grandparents have one. Sweetest dog I've ever met.
    If I wanted a dog, I'd consider a pit.

• nah, not cute and fluffy enough... I like the happy dog breeds that are always playing

• 25d

haha I'd have sworn that my ex is the one who answered this :D
      this really does sound like him lol :D

• No dogs are too much work and responsibility, and they're messy and noisy and clumsy. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs, but I wouldn't want one as a pet

• 25d

If you get a dog as a puppy and train it well then it's pretty much none of those things. But that's fine, I do see where you're coming from.

• 25d

Even still, you have to feed it and clean it and bring it for walks and they get hairs everywhere, especially if you let it in the house

What Girls Said 15

• No more dogs for me. I already have 3.
    Even though I am not much of a dog person. I would consider a pit bull for a dog. However I wouldn't at the same time because it depends on if it's the kind of breed for me. What type of training it needs, etc. But good Pits are very friendly if you treat them nice.

• I would have no problem with getting a pit bull. They're adorable and they can be absolutely lovely animals if they're treated correctly, the same as most other dogs.

• Hell yeah
    I was considering getting one but I don't have time to train it, mind you pit bulls need tons of training , but once trained they're the best
    would probably get one next year or so
    I have 2 friends who have pit bulls, one of them has 2 dogs pit bull and golden retriever, she spent tons of time training her pit bull and being extra loving and kind to it (and I'm not even exaggerating) but her pit bull is more friendly than her golden retriever, though when it senses danger it becomes extremely protective (which is great)
    My other friend has a pit bull , his dog is very friendly when it comes to humans but quite aggressive with other dogs

overall in my opinion, pit bulls are one of the best breeds ever , but they need tons of training

• I know that there are some pit bulls that are very gentle, so it being aggressive isn't an issue for me.

I just like fluffy dogs.

• I might, if my husband or kids wanted one. I don't think they're dangerous or anything if raised right. But I personally don't see myself getting one because I think there's better looking dogs

• I used to think they were scary until my stepsister got involved in pit bull rescues in our home town.

They're actually really sweet and friendly dogs. So I probably would if I had a place for them to run and play

• i don't think so

• I love pits but they're outlawed in my country, so I would never get one. If they were legal I would love to have one.

• Yes :) I would love one.

• I wouldn't get a shelter pit bull if I don't know the history of it but I would get it when it's a pup

• Absolutely, I work with them on a daily basis and they are one of the sweetest breeds out there

• I love pitbulls.

• Yes, I would.

• I don't know if I want to own a dog, but if I did pit bulls might be considered.

• No I wouldn't.