Americans: do you understand the British accent very well?

Sometimes when i watch British movies, i have to play some scenes again to understand some sentences (especially when they speak very fast), but i speak and understand the American accent as well as my mother language (even if they speak very fast), that's why i prefer American movies over British movies.
I'm falling in love with the British accent and I know the British accent is the original English but the way they speak is just so... whatever, my question for you is: is it just me because I'm not a native English person or there's Americans out there having the same problem?

American words vs British words
Water = Wotah
Fuck = Fok
You = Yow
Exercise = Exersoise
Name = Naime
Corner = Corna
Father = Fatha
Mother = Matha

What Girls Said 5

• I'm Arab but I understand both the British and American accent pretty well.
    I was scared I might not understand it a couple of weeks ago when I went out with a bunch of people who came to visit Paris from London, but we communicated extremely easily, I understood everything they said and vice versa.

• I can Understand Most Any 'Accent' being Married to a Muslim Out in Egypt.
    However, "Understanding" don't Mean I "Care" for it. I will not even Date this Mate. xx

• I'm Australian, and while I can understand most British accents just fine, I struggle with Scottish and Irish accents.

I thought I was fine with American accents, when an American tried to order what I thought was "camel" at a fast food restaurant I was working at. I told him several times that we didn't sell camel and he got annoyed at me. Turned out he was trying to say "caramel".

• I can understand it because I have had British friends and watch British shows. Some of the words don't make sense to me though.

• I'm dead

What Guys Said 19

• Thise pronounciations are not correct. I was a lynguist for a while and those examples you gave were not correct. You mean the glottal T.

There is a pronounciation different. But we pronounce the T strongly vs it being silent in American.

the T sound in American is often pronounced as a D. For example, Water, Bother, Saturday. Americans pronounce them as Wader, bodher, sadurday

Alternatively, if the T is within the word. In American English it is skipped whereas in British, it is pronounced strongly. For example Interview - Inerview, Internet, Inernet,

H is silent in American, it is not pronouned, E. g Herb - Erb

Your last 2 words were using cockney English, most British people do not pronounce like that

• 19d

A is also pronounced like an E in American. For example, the name Ashley, becomes Esthley, or Can't becomes kent

• 19d

Oh ok, sorry my bad
      i just wrote what i heard

• 19d

it's fine :D

• I find it depends greatly on what part of Britain they are from. For such a small country land-wise, they have a lot of diverse accents.

• Haha, I'll always turn on 'English Subtitles' when watching a British movie.

The Irish writer George Bernard Shaw once said: 'England and America are two countries divided by a common language'

• It's hard to understand usually, but there are times with some accents where I'm sure they're speaking another language

• Everyone is different when it comes to understanding accents. Some Americans understand the British with no problems, others have to put on subtitles.

• I struggle with most really urban or rural accents from most countries even in my own country.

• Better than some 'Murican accents.

• If they talk on TV , I can understand any accent in English Language from any part of the world.. But in movies and songs , I don't get the words exactly right due to the tone , volume of sound and speed.

• I do live in the UK, although I'm not native English speaker, to me British English sounds better. American one (specially Californian accent) sounds funny to me.

• Cor blimey! This rubbish again? Actually a lot of your speak sounds more mafia lol

• Depends on who you are listening to. UK has many dialects it's someone from NY speaks different to someone from new Orleans same in UK. Me I come from Yorkshire about 200 miles north of London and we speak nothing like them.

• Eh British is fine once you're used to it (liek 10 such movies in a 2-day binge). Scottish or Irish accent is the one I have trouble with.

• I do.

• Pretty well, at least. I've heard it many times on tv.

• It's not hard for me

• I speak normally, you just listed the lazy British slang.

• Lmao... yes I understand most accents easily, but some don't talk loud

• I can easily understand British and Scottish, but sometimes I have trouble understanding Irish accents.

• Yeah I understand almost everything. What really gets me is some of the "not pure" English dialects. I say not pure in that these dialects evolved with extensive influence from other languages. Obviously all dialects of English have other influences, but American, Canadian, Australian, and New Zealand English all started from the UK dialect but then diverge. Places in India or Malaysia started with a completely different language, and then everyone learned English, and then passed on that horrific accent to their kids. When I was in Malaysia 9 times out of 10 I couldn't understand the people, they claimed English was their native language (and maybe it was for all I know) but I just could not understand anything.

Same thing with Indian and some African dialects, they are nearly impossible for me to understand without captions. Most people also have issues with Irish English, which has a lot of influence from the Irish language, but my mom is from Ireland so I really don't struggle understanding that since my mom talks that way and I'm used to being in Ireland.