Have you ever adopted a pet from a rescue or humane society?

I was approved for dog adoption today and will be able to pick up a bonded pair of dogs on Tuesday. I'm super excited.

What about you all?

• Sure have!
  • Nah, I haven't.
For everyone that wanted an update, here you go. 😊

http://i.imgur.com/xBvLlKI.jpg

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, my dog Toby who is a lurcher cross came from a rescue shelter. he was dumped in a plastic bag along side his litter mates on a motorway hard shoulder.

He is now 16 years old which is seriously pushing the upper limits for a lurcher, and despite having arthritis he still acts like a puppy. I absolutely love the old boy, and am fearing the day he passes away.

Most Helpful Girl

0/2500

Send It!

What Guys Said 38

What Girls Said 34

• No, I haven't :( I do plan to do that when we finally get a dog or a cat though. I adopted our hamster but that wasn't really from a humane society, he was just a hamster that had been fighting with others in the store and had been there so long that they weren't charging you for him anymore.

• Congrats love! Send me picturesss! I want to see the babies :P

I'd guess I'd say rescue? Kind of? Well rescue Bingo from being put down really. My sister had a work colleague who was trying to get rid of her dogs by a certain time frame. The dogs she bred, were going out of controlling and causing a massive commotion that the neighbours called the council on her. She needed to find a home for a majority of her dogs or they'd put them down. My sister went and picked one up and came back. She chose the one who was neglected the most from the pack. He was black, skin and bones and had heaps of fleas. He was the last one to eat in the pack, didn't get much food. Pretty much the lone wolf.

Now Bingo is spoilt rotten lol :D if anything, i think he was the luckiest :)

• I'm on it! You'll get better photos once I actually have them. 😊 Bingo got a good deal, I think, though you all are pretty lucky, too. ❀

• Yay! I can't wait! They're really adorable! They at every lucky to have an owner like you to take care of them. If anything I know you'll give them a great home :) yeah I'm pretty lucky I have Bing bop. His a good guard dog ☺️

• I've rescued a ton of animals from the street... but I do not go to shelters or places where they have them..

What I mean by rescue is saving them from dying... helming them survive..
    I've rescued birds, raccoons, cats, possums..

I've rescued birds many times, but the very first time it happened it was the sweetest cutest thing ever,,, they were tiny sparrows and I fed them and taught them to fly... when they learned I set them free but the weirdest thing happened, they kept coming back from time to time for me to feed them lol with a straw!!! They'd fly to a tree and chirping a lot... I would go out to see and they would open their mouth like they used to when they were babies hahah so I ran inside, made the food quick and came out and they accepted the food from me... my mother was like 😯😯😯!!!

• That's so awesome! I definitely count that as well. The first dog my family had was a strategy off the streets.

• I haven't but my dog is a rescue dog. She was taken from a very abusive man who neglected her, cut her ears (she's a pit), starved her and bred her for puppies to fight.
    She was rescued and taken to some dude but they couldn't afford to keep her anymore so we took her.

• I didn't buy her, my mom did. :) But she got her for my sister and I! So, yes. I go to the shelter all the time just to play with the dogs and rub them. If I ever get another (in small college apartment) I'd definitely go to a shelter. :) You're so awesome for adopting!

• That's nice! πŸ˜€ It's sweet that you go just to provide some love as well. I'd want to take all of them home, though, haha... and thank you!

• Not yet but I'm planning to for sure! I would need my dog I already have to get along with the other pet though and she tends to be quite jealous so I'm not sure if it'd work out :/ I hope to one day adopt a handicapped pet and give them a better life.

• That's so sweet. I hope things work out. My family's pup is the jealous kind as well. πŸ˜•

• Yeah plus if I'd actually go for a disabled dog or cat I'd need a lot of time for them, depending on their disability of course, more than I'd need for healthy pets.. so that would only work if I get a job where I could work from home at least some of the time once I graduated.

• Bless your Kindred Heart from the Start, @EmpatheticLady.
    Yes, I have Adopted, and so has my Family and Friends. I have also Taken in Lost Souls and Those... Born in Garages in Card Board Boxes.
    Best of Luck, hun!! xx

• I only ever adopt from rescues and humane societies! I actually prefer full grown pets rather than puppies or kittens just because you don't have to watch them 24/7 and baby-proof your whole house if they're teething.

Full grown cats are the best! Usually they already know how to use the litter box.

• Yeah, I've never gone to a breeder. I definitely support rescues and humane societies. 😊 My two are two and six years old, so that's not bad at all.

• Aww, that's so great! I haven't adopted yet but I want to! I already have one dog, I got him from a friend when her dog had puppies. I would love to get another one though so I think when I'm ready, I will adopt from the local shelter. :)

• I rescue dogs that people leave for dead on the street. My pit who just turned a year was found in a box surrounded by all her dead brothers an sisters at four weeks old. She was smaller than an Xbox controller and shitting blood. Thought she was gonna die. Now she's like 70 pounds and my daughters guard dog. I love it, have fun with them 😊

• Yes. My little beagle, Abby. I adopted her at the Humane Society.

She was EXTREMELY reserved for the first month. Barely came out of her cage except to eat or drink. And she has a tattoo in her ear of numbers and letters because she was a breeding dog. I got her when she was 4 years and 8 months old. She's 8 years old now. Love her! She's my best friend and I wouldn't trade her for anything.

• Id like to, i just dont have the time to deal with one.

• I have picked up strays that people have thrown out. It enrages me to think of someone would do that to an animal. I am very happy for you... I hope you enjoy them.

• Yes. The only way to get a pet is from a recuse league.

• Yay! I have a Doberman from a breeder and a greyhound from a racing rescue. Two is enough for me.

• Yeah, I think I'll be set with two pups, haha. Racing rescue... means his or her racing days are done?

• Contrary to popular belief, greyhounds are one of the laziest breeds out there, lol. They are not endurance runners (they sprint), nor are they high energy like a Jack Russell. They are total couch potatoes.

Although they do need to be leashed at all times when outside and the yard must have a strong, tall fence. Just in case, because they run at 45 mph and you're not going to be able to chase after them if they get away. Even Usain Bolt would have a hard time, haha.

I let my dog run in the confines of the leash free park. My Dobe likes to try and chase him πŸ˜‚

• Yeah, I'd be too afraid of the pup running off accidentally. I also don't have a fully closed in fence. That sounds like they get along well, though.

• All of my dogs have been mutts and/or rescues. Usually I can get one by chance whenever the time is right. I'll just happen to find a friendly stray roaming around and that's it.

• I have quite a few times actually.

That's so exciting for you!!! I want to see pics when you get them!

• Whenever my parents used to get pets, it was from either a breeders home or a pet store, but now that i know about the pet store thing, when i live on my own i think i would get a rescue dog

• Definitely. I don't think I've seen a pet store in my area, specifically for dogs or cats anyway.

• I adopted a guinea pig for 2 years, I loved her sooo much

• I went with my boyfriend to get his cat from a shelter. lol
    But I personally haven't adopted a pet.

• You're still a kitty mommy. 😜 How is she adjusting?

• Haha very good!
      Super playful and energetic. For some reason, her favorite toys are socks though haha

• Haha, might save money on toys by just giving her old socks then.

• I bought my dog from a pet store when I was younger but I will adopt dogs from now on.

• My cat's adopted from the Animal Welfare League.

• So sweet! They'll be in good hands :)
    Me, never had a pet before...

• Yep, my dog is from one and I got my cat at the one I work at now

• yes my sweet penelope

• No but my uncle rescued a dog and adopted one :)

• No but I wanted too

• Buy them sweaters

• Girl, I so am. I held off at the pet store for today, though. πŸ˜‚

• The update: IM CRINE 😍😍😍

• They're my babies. ❀

• I didn't. But my bro has a rescue dog. Cutie

• That is awesome!

When I was young, we adopted an older cocker spaniel that was disabled (cataracts, deaf in one ear, and had a limp) from a local rescue. She was a sweet dog.

• Aww, I bet she was and you all are awesome for taking her in.

• At least they are going to a good home now!

• Agreed. 😊

• More from Girls
    4