Have you ever adopted a pet from a rescue or humane society?

I was approved for dog adoption today and will be able to pick up a bonded pair of dogs on Tuesday. I'm super excited.

What about you all?

• Sure have!
  • Nah, I haven't.
18d For everyone that wanted an update, here you go. 😊

http://i.imgur.com/xBvLlKI.jpg

What Guys Said 38

• Well, clearly they're not that "humane" if the dogs need to be rescued from them.

:-)

Nope. I don't think so at least.

• Yeah I have and you know that i have a daughter too and that I am a good father since I've fed her my titty milk.
    Now that we are both parents we can both share our pictures of our kids now too.
    http://i.imgur.com/aNN6T6q.gif

• Yes, my dog Toby who is a lurcher cross came from a rescue shelter. he was dumped in a plastic bag along side his litter mates on a motorway hard shoulder.

He is now 16 years old which is seriously pushing the upper limits for a lurcher, and despite having arthritis he still acts like a puppy. I absolutely love the old boy, and am fearing the day he passes away.

• Not only that but I've fostered dogs sfor the new england English springer spaniel rescue
    www.essfta.org/.../essrescuelogo.jpg

• 2 kittens from the local animal shelter but neither were "rescued", just needed a home

• I adopted my cat from an animal rescue. It's one of the better decisions I've ever made.

Next year I'll adopt a dog. :)

• 16d

What kind of dogs are you looking to get? I definitely know what you mean about adopting a pet being a good decision, too. 😊

• All of my animals, except for a cat I got at a yard sale, have been stays, even my dog lol. I got him after a huge storm. We tried to find the owner, but that never happened.

• 20d

So happy you were able to give those fur babies homes!

• 16d

You got your cat at a yard sale? That's so weird but kinda awesome. lol

• 15d

@DodgersGM Yeah I was like 6 or 7 and at a yard sale they had a box of kittens they were trying to find homes for. I picked the smallest one and my mom spontaneously let me keep him lol.

• Yes. I adopted a siamese cat that I named Trixie. She was a warrior kitty that I later renamed Recleus. I still miss her from time to time..

• That I have not done, have never had pets. But update this question with pics!!

• Yeah that's actually where I picked up Sky :P

• 20d

I was thinking of her! How is she?

• 20d

Of course lol gotta transfer some from my camera anyway lol
      What kind of dogs are you picking up?

• 20d

Yay! Looking forward to the photos. One is a Yorkie and Dachshund mix while the other is a Chihuahua and Dachshund mix, a chiweenie. 😜

• Yes, I have. And as a little warning - most pets of those do have a history and thus require more time to settle as well as trusting you. So you gotta be calm and patience and hopefully have prior experience with dogs.

• 20d

I've grown up with dogs and other animals all my life. The two dogs my family have had were a stray and another rescue. These two were given up because the owner had three dogs and could only have one. 😕

• 20d

Good good. Just mentioning it because many people are naive about it saying "just get a pet from the shelter" - completely forgetting that said pet has baggage that needs to be dealt with.

• 20d

No, I totally understand. I'm fully aware of it, though. My family's pup (still call her mine) had a lot of trouble when we first got her. Very energetic and had separation anxiety, plus we believe she was abused. 😔

• My kittens were about to get a needle to the heart, unless someone (dat be ya boy) adopted them. They hate me doe its like they wanted to die.

• nope, im afraid of the intimacy i get from pets, and i dont have any money to buy any pet food or to take care of them

• 20d

Don't want to lose them? Yeah, they can be expensive.

• 20d

yup, i had a cat once, and then she died somehow, and i was devastated, so after that i never thought of petting any animal again.

• I love the pic.

I haven't but my brother got a great dog at the pound. Had to put her down last year but had a lot of good years with her.

• 20d

My picture or the gif?

Yeah, you can find some wonderful animals there. I'm sorry she's passed on, but I'm glad you all gave her a home.

• 19d

Both; I hadn't noticed your eyes in the pic before..

Yeah, some dogs are just nice pets, but she was one of those dogs with real personality that loved everyone and everyone loved. And smart.

• 19d

Well, thank you, haha. The gif is cute.

Yeah, I feel you. Very hard to let go in those moments.

• Yes, my little cat, when she was only four months old. She's... nine or ten years old, by now. Can't say I rescued her, per se. The local shelter is no-kill.

• Not yet, but once the time is right we plan to.

• Yeah I have not from the humane society though.

• Nope. But I'm pretty sure my parents adopted me from the humane society.

• nope but jealous

• Nope but simeday im sure. I want pics!!!😍😍😍

• I haven't adopted any animals but our cat shelter has rescued some kittens last week.
    http://i.imgur.com/AMyXDX0h.jpg

• I have like 7-10 puppy but It was too much for me so I handover to few of my friends and left the best one for me.

• I am lazy to look after their childhood , do maybe.

• definitely my goal and coping mechanism. waiting to get a place of own. dog and cat is the way to go 😃

• 10d

Soon enough for you. 😊

• 10d

yes , when it comes to the things that are a part of your soul a couple of months isn't a wait at all 😊

• Yup. Rabbits were in a shelter home and birds were rescued from a trash can

• awww so cute!

i have not, but i have adopted cats who would have otherwise ended up in the pound.

• Yeah, a cute cat named '' Jammie''

• Yep, several...

• I have not as my apartment doesn't allow pets but my brother has and it's the way to go.

• Yup a few of my cats have been adopted from them haha.

• More from Guys
    8

What Girls Said 35

• No, I haven't :( I do plan to do that when we finally get a dog or a cat though. I adopted our hamster but that wasn't really from a humane society, he was just a hamster that had been fighting with others in the store and had been there so long that they weren't charging you for him anymore.

• Congrats love! Send me picturesss! I want to see the babies :P

I'd guess I'd say rescue? Kind of? Well rescue Bingo from being put down really. My sister had a work colleague who was trying to get rid of her dogs by a certain time frame. The dogs she bred, were going out of controlling and causing a massive commotion that the neighbours called the council on her. She needed to find a home for a majority of her dogs or they'd put them down. My sister went and picked one up and came back. She chose the one who was neglected the most from the pack. He was black, skin and bones and had heaps of fleas. He was the last one to eat in the pack, didn't get much food. Pretty much the lone wolf.

Now Bingo is spoilt rotten lol :D if anything, i think he was the luckiest :)

• 20d

I'm on it! You'll get better photos once I actually have them. 😊 Bingo got a good deal, I think, though you all are pretty lucky, too. ❤

• 20d

Yay! I can't wait! They're really adorable! They at every lucky to have an owner like you to take care of them. If anything I know you'll give them a great home :) yeah I'm pretty lucky I have Bing bop. His a good guard dog ☺️

• I've rescued a ton of animals from the street... but I do not go to shelters or places where they have them..

What I mean by rescue is saving them from dying... helming them survive..
    I've rescued birds, raccoons, cats, possums..

I've rescued birds many times, but the very first time it happened it was the sweetest cutest thing ever,,, they were tiny sparrows and I fed them and taught them to fly... when they learned I set them free but the weirdest thing happened, they kept coming back from time to time for me to feed them lol with a straw!!! They'd fly to a tree and chirping a lot... I would go out to see and they would open their mouth like they used to when they were babies hahah so I ran inside, made the food quick and came out and they accepted the food from me... my mother was like 😯😯😯!!!

• 20d

That's so awesome! I definitely count that as well. The first dog my family had was a strategy off the streets.

• I haven't but my dog is a rescue dog. She was taken from a very abusive man who neglected her, cut her ears (she's a pit), starved her and bred her for puppies to fight.
    She was rescued and taken to some dude but they couldn't afford to keep her anymore so we took her.

• I didn't buy her, my mom did. :) But she got her for my sister and I! So, yes. I go to the shelter all the time just to play with the dogs and rub them. If I ever get another (in small college apartment) I'd definitely go to a shelter. :) You're so awesome for adopting!

• 18d

That's nice! 😀 It's sweet that you go just to provide some love as well. I'd want to take all of them home, though, haha... and thank you!

• Not yet but I'm planning to for sure! I would need my dog I already have to get along with the other pet though and she tends to be quite jealous so I'm not sure if it'd work out :/ I hope to one day adopt a handicapped pet and give them a better life.

• 18d

That's so sweet. I hope things work out. My family's pup is the jealous kind as well. 😕

• 18d

Yeah plus if I'd actually go for a disabled dog or cat I'd need a lot of time for them, depending on their disability of course, more than I'd need for healthy pets.. so that would only work if I get a job where I could work from home at least some of the time once I graduated.

• Bless your Kindred Heart from the Start, @EmpatheticLady.
    Yes, I have Adopted, and so has my Family and Friends. I have also Taken in Lost Souls and Those... Born in Garages in Card Board Boxes.
    Best of Luck, hun!! xx

• 19d

Thank you! My family is the same. Most of our pets have been rescued one way or another.

• 19d

Thank you for the Lick and the Like, dear. xx

• 19d

I wish there were more of us in this world, dear. xxoo

• I only ever adopt from rescues and humane societies! I actually prefer full grown pets rather than puppies or kittens just because you don't have to watch them 24/7 and baby-proof your whole house if they're teething.

Full grown cats are the best! Usually they already know how to use the litter box.

• 20d

Yeah, I've never gone to a breeder. I definitely support rescues and humane societies. 😊 My two are two and six years old, so that's not bad at all.

• Aww, that's so great! I haven't adopted yet but I want to! I already have one dog, I got him from a friend when her dog had puppies. I would love to get another one though so I think when I'm ready, I will adopt from the local shelter. :)

• I rescue dogs that people leave for dead on the street. My pit who just turned a year was found in a box surrounded by all her dead brothers an sisters at four weeks old. She was smaller than an Xbox controller and shitting blood. Thought she was gonna die. Now she's like 70 pounds and my daughters guard dog. I love it, have fun with them 😊

• Yes. My little beagle, Abby. I adopted her at the Humane Society.

She was EXTREMELY reserved for the first month. Barely came out of her cage except to eat or drink. And she has a tattoo in her ear of numbers and letters because she was a breeding dog. I got her when she was 4 years and 8 months old. She's 8 years old now. Love her! She's my best friend and I wouldn't trade her for anything.

• I adopted a guinea pig for 2 years, I loved her sooo much

• I have picked up strays that people have thrown out. It enrages me to think of someone would do that to an animal. I am very happy for you... I hope you enjoy them.

• Yes. The only way to get a pet is from a recuse league.

• Yay! I have a Doberman from a breeder and a greyhound from a racing rescue. Two is enough for me.

• 20d

Yeah, I think I'll be set with two pups, haha. Racing rescue... means his or her racing days are done?

• 20d

Contrary to popular belief, greyhounds are one of the laziest breeds out there, lol. They are not endurance runners (they sprint), nor are they high energy like a Jack Russell. They are total couch potatoes.

Although they do need to be leashed at all times when outside and the yard must have a strong, tall fence. Just in case, because they run at 45 mph and you're not going to be able to chase after them if they get away. Even Usain Bolt would have a hard time, haha.

I let my dog run in the confines of the leash free park. My Dobe likes to try and chase him 😂

• 20d

Yeah, I'd be too afraid of the pup running off accidentally. I also don't have a fully closed in fence. That sounds like they get along well, though.

• All of my dogs have been mutts and/or rescues. Usually I can get one by chance whenever the time is right. I'll just happen to find a friendly stray roaming around and that's it.

• I have quite a few times actually.

That's so exciting for you!!! I want to see pics when you get them!

• No. First dog was living on the streets, second in a barn, and the other two were being passed around from house to house.

• Whenever my parents used to get pets, it was from either a breeders home or a pet store, but now that i know about the pet store thing, when i live on my own i think i would get a rescue dog

• 20d

Definitely. I don't think I've seen a pet store in my area, specifically for dogs or cats anyway.

• Id like to, i just dont have the time to deal with one.

• I went with my boyfriend to get his cat from a shelter. lol
    But I personally haven't adopted a pet.

• 20d

You're still a kitty mommy. 😜 How is she adjusting?

• 20d

Haha very good!
      Super playful and energetic. For some reason, her favorite toys are socks though haha

• 20d

Haha, might save money on toys by just giving her old socks then.

• My cat's adopted from the Animal Welfare League.

• So sweet! They'll be in good hands :)
    Me, never had a pet before...

• Yep, my dog is from one and I got my cat at the one I work at now

• yes my sweet penelope

• I bought my dog from a pet store when I was younger but I will adopt dogs from now on.

• No but my uncle rescued a dog and adopted one :)

• No but I wanted too

• Buy them sweaters

• Couple times before!!

• More from Girls
    5