Is it weird that I've never done real household chores?

For special circumstances I'm still living with my parents. I work from home and I'm saving money to eventually move out. I also colaborate on some home expenses. However, when it comes to doing household chores (with the exception of washing dishes, pots or saucer pans), cleaning and real cooking, I'm either limited or clueless.

- I've never in my life iron clothes.. don't know how to either
- I can fry, boil rice, make salad and some of the basic things but that's not really cooking
- I don't wash clothes except my stocking, socks, underwears and bras (I just learn how to use the washing machine just recently)
- I don't know how to sew anything
- I've never cleaned a bathroom nor kitchen in my life
- I've never mopped the whole house.
- I've never used an oven, etc.

I'm realizing that most of these things are important because at some point I'm going to be on my own. I've noticed a couple female relatives my age don't know how to do those things either and just like my parents, they didn't force me to learn that.

24d I've been too focused on finishing my major and working that I didn't pay attention to learning those basic things.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's not necessarily weird but you should learn these things because they are essential life skills. Both males and females should know how to take care of themselves, and how to take care of other people when necessary. Sooner or later you will be out on your own and you want to be able to cope with that.

• 24d

I'm trying to learn all that starting now this year. I just never knew how important those life skills were till I had sudden urges to forming a family, which that's not an easy task.

I appreciate the females in the past that knew all that in comparing to some of us. It's like something changed.

What Guys Said 3

• I don't know how to do some of those things either. You can always find step-by-step instructions online. I don't think it's weird to be in this position in the 21st century.

• No me neither except for the occasional vacuuming or mowing.

• I'm a guy know how to do all of those things even though I haven't done most of them in years

What Girls Said 3

• Learn while you are at your parents' house. These are important life skills to have. You don't necessarily need to know how to cook fancy meals, but understand how to grocery shop for deals and follow a recipe and use an oven. Try doing these things, so you at least have some experience.

• You really should learn these things. If fr nothing else than to take care of yourself and show some respect to your parents.

• It is kinda weird that u don't know how to do those things, because I started learning and doing most things for myself when I was in late elementary school. But take the opportunity to learn now before u leave ur parents. It's very important