Have you ever been spoken to in a foreign language? What was it?

Did you ever have someone come up to you randomly and start speaking in a foreign (their foreign) language? Did you guess what language it was? If so what language was it?

In real life of course.

English is foreign to me but obviously it doesn't count.
For me it was Hebrew and Turkish.

What Guys Said 54

• Best story ever. So I was in Italy and this American dude came up to me trying to ask for some weed in Italian. His Italian sucked ass. After it took him like 5 minutes to spit it out, I just said, "can't help you, bruh" 😂😂😂😂

The look on his face was priceless

• French. Easy to guess. I was in France.
    Italian. Easy to guess. I was in Italy.
    Same with Spanish, Norwegian, Tagalog, Thai, etc.

• Back in 2007 I was visiting Kemer, Turkey.

During my stay in a hotel (Kemer Resort), I had a situation where I was chilling and drinking beer near the pool; suddenly, a Turk in a suit ran to me and started yelling at me in his language.

With a surprised look, I said "I'm sorry, I have no idea what you're saying".
    He got shocked, calmed down and started apologizing "Oh, sorry, I thought you're a Turk and work in a hotel, so I got pissed not only you're chilling on duty, but also consume alcohol".

Fuck me...

• I've been spoken to in Dutch, English, French, German, Spanish and Italian... and I can speak the first 4.
    I can speak a few words of Spanish but don't really know the language. Italian is a language I don't know and unfortunately Italians don't know their languages very well :o

• I did once go up to a guy in Paris and ask him (in French) to take my picture... he panicked and ran to his friend and basically said in Spanish "help that guy is speaking French". I don't know, they looked French.

Also saw a pair of Korean girls get approached by a Chinese girl who started speaking Chinese and was perplexed when they said they didn't speak Chinese 😄

• Tons of my times, mostly Spanish but I've also gotten French, German, Arabic and I think one or two others.

And I can pretty much guess most languages spoken to me, from different countries they each have tier own unique I guess sound to me would be the best way to put it lol.

• I have had tourists ask me for directions in the old part of Riga. Or on the bus from the airport to Riga, which I happen to ride all the time.

• So many times lol
    Spanish, German, French, Russian, Mandarin, Portuguese. Probably more and I just couldn't tell. First time I ever wanted to speak another language I was 15 and met this hot German girl who was interested, but didn't speak English and I didn't know German. At that age I didn't know how to handle it, so I left lol. Uuugggh. I know better now. Sad regret

• Constantly happens to me in Spanish. I'm half Dominican so hispanic people just see the spic in me and will just start speaking Spanish to me. Unfortunately I never learned.

• a lot the time... I live in New Jersey, plenty of people speaking Spanish, chinese, russian or Indian.

• Only Spanish here in the states, and German when I was stationed in Baumholder. One of the drug locals was asking me for a cigarette lol.

• Yes, a few times (Hungarian, German, Slovenian and of course - English).

• When I went to see Taj Mahal
    A guy came upto me and something in his language I don't know which language it was
    But it must be Chinese, Japanese or Korean cause he looked like them

• Everyday some dood comes up to me and speaks Spanish. I tell him I don't speak Spanish he goes "ooohhh" then speaks Spanish again.

• It was Hindi at a bus stop lol
    This old Indian lady came up to me and needed help finding the right bus. Sadly at this time I didn't speak any Hindi.

• Hmm I don't think so. Only English, but can't remember that it ever happened with a language I don't understand

• Yes, when I was in Germany people would come up to me and talk to me in German. In most other countries people seemed able to tell I wasn't a native.

• Someone came up to me speaking German once, when I was shopping with my little sister. Being the linguistic I am, I answered in German: "Ich bin kein Deutscher".

I think he might of asked why I was speaking German lol

Funny experience.

• Lol I have a hard enough time understanding french, so I doubt I'd understand any foreign language, I can't remember if someone has or not.

• Yea, here in Germany people speak German to me, but then take a look at me lol, of course they do. Good thing I speak the language haha

• Well since im in So Cal, people have spoken Spanish to me.

• Being a firefighter in Los Angeles, I've heard them all. Fortunately I'm fluent in Spanish and Italian. Know enough German and French to get by.

• I have been approached and asked something on Tamil. I had no idea what he was asking. But then signal language (I don't know it's the correct term to call it. the one that deaf people use) helped.

• Spanish, Italian, and Danish

• Yes, my first language is Arabic. I've been spoken to in English and Uzbek. Uzbek is my father's nationality before he came to Saudi Arabia and became Saudi and I look Uzbek too, so that's explains why Uzbek is up there.

• Italian, German, Polish, Russian, Hungarian, Romanian.

• happens a lot at work, mostly Spanish and I think Arabic, maybe a little Chinese or something

• Not when I wasn't in a country where that language was traditionally spoken.

• French, Spanish, Italian and Japanese.

• All the time. Spanish, which I speak.

• More from Guys
    24

What Girls Said 37

• Chinese, so much Chinese, Chinese people will still talk to you in Chinese even when you say "I don't understand" in English LOL they only stop for a minute when I say bu zhi dao (I don't know)😂 THEN THEY CONTINUE AGAIN LOL
    But of course I was in China so what would you expect I guess.

I do have a lot of Spanish people talking to me in Spanish, just randomly, even tho Im here in the UK they just assume I speak Spanish cause they think I look it.

As for back home in my home country I assumed people would all speak Swedish to me but NOPE, all Swedes spoke English to me. After every conversation I had I'd tell them in Swedish "Damn your English is so good." and they'd look at me with the most gobsmacked face ever and then apologize in shame 😂 its too funny.

• * Q: Have you ever been spoken to in a foreign language?

A: Yes

* Q: What was it?

A: There were several. Japanese, German, Spanish, and once Arabic

* Q: Did you ever have someone come up to you randomly and start speaking in a foreign (their foreign) language?

A: Not that I can recall.

• Yes, Dear... Arabic.
    When I lived out in Egypt, Arabic, some English of course, was Spoken a Lot on a Daily Basis.
    I caught on to Many sentences, Words... It is One of the Most Jameel languages I Have ever Heard in my whole Life. xx

• Russian, Finnish, Icelandic (I believe?), Norwegian, Dutch (before I learnt how to speak it), Japanese (although I speak it it's still weird when Japanese people think I'm a native speaker for some reason) Chinese & Korean (Korean mainly through that part of my family and I'm pretty sure it's insults 😒)

• Yes all the time in Estonia, although I have learned to understand it over the years.
    Also Russian-the only word I know is Спасибо.

• In Europe it happens a lot, but mostly by people who think their language is a universal one and "everybody" should understand it. If you don't speak the local language, its normal courtesy to ask first (usually people choose english) if you speak English or their language.

• 23d

And yes, in Tunesia (or other north African countries), mainly inland, it happens people speak arab to you even if they know you don't understand, but its the only language they know and they like some form of communication. But I don't mind, its sometimes funny if you see the efforts to clarify things from both sides

• I once had a guy at camp walk up to me, surrounded by his buddies, and said "Hola, mi puta" not knowing that I spoke Spanish and I turned around and looked at him and said "Hablo espanol" and the switched into English "You wanna go see the RA or do you want me to punch you?"

• When I was still in Germany, dumb assholes often yelled "ni hao!" Or "konichiwa" to me. Because for them, Asia only consists of these two countries. Uneducated Fuckheads.

I never got this treatment from like college students. So those retards were really the uneducated ones

• Some Asian guys said something to me while I was visiting Napa, CA yesterday. The only Asian language I'm even vaguely familiar with is Mandarin since some of my friends speak it. I had no idea what language they were speaking or what it was lol. People try to speak German or Spanish with me sometimes. My only other language is French.

• German.

• yes. it happens all the time at work. it's mostly Spanish, and even though i don't speak it that well i can still figure out what they want.

• Russian. At least it sounded russian.

• Uhh, maybe Spanish here and there.

• Yeah, I was in Italy and of course there was Italian spoken to me.

But at home. I'm often spoken to in Spanish.

• Punjabi and Arabic

• Many times, mostly Spanish, but also Creole and Arabic. I never needed to guess what the language was, I could figure it out without question.

I'm sure there's a couple more that I've encountered but I can't remember.

• Yes i had a women approach me she was Greek, she thought I was Italian. I only knew this because the hotel I stayed at was occupied by mostly Italian people and I could funnily enough get the gist of what she was saying.

• Yes, my boyfriend will tease me sometimes while speaking portuguese and Japanese.

• I've been mistaken for German and Finnish before so yes. People also used English but that hardly counts.

• Oh yes, annually at least. German, English, French, even Spanish. Luckily I understand all of these languages.

• When I was in Canada, somebody came up to me and started asking me something in what sounded like French.

• Someone thought I was Spanish nd started speaking to in it

• French and English as they are foreign languages in my country

• Spanish, French... and French Creole (Haitian)

• Oromo

• Hindi and Spanish.

• Yeah someone thought I was French once and started speaking to me in French 😳😂

• Only Spanish

• Yup, French, Turkish and Hebrew. Did not understand a word but nodded when they talked to me.

• Yep. It was Turkish.

• More from Girls
    7