I was offered a dog but I already have a cat and im worried they won't get along. Is there a way to get them to get along?

I already have a cat (whos female) whos about 4 years old and i was offered a border collie (whos male) whos just a bit older then a puppy and its already got all its vaccinations and everything. I wanna say yes to them but im worried my cat might scare it away or they might just not get along or my cat might hide all the time and rarely come out to eat and drink (therefore she might get unwell).. i really want the dog tho. Does anybody know any way to introduce them together and how to make them get along?

19d The owner of the dog brought the dog over for a visit and the dog seemed fine with my cat but my cat became quite aggressive and started growlimg and hissing at the dog and then tried to chase it and attack it.. she does that to any other animal that comes near my house but especially to dogs (she was attacked by dogs once im not sure if thats why). Im more worried my cat will hurt the dog or the dog might get scared and try to run away or something than anything else

What Guys Said 3

• They won't get along at the beginning. You'd have to train them, but keep in mind that border collies are herding animals, which means they will chase by nature.

• 19d

It's actually better that the cat behaved that way than the dog. It's the cat's territory so she should protect it. I think that's a good sign.

• I've had many cats and dogs they all lived together with no problem.

• 19d

You could bring the border collie over for a visit to see how they both get along.

• First of all a border collie is a lot of work you will never tire him out (mine will run 30 miles and will still want to play fetch) and you have to train them or you will have huge problems but mine lives with a cat just fine just remember border collie are herding dog and will chase and try to herd anything from cats to cows

What Girls Said 6

• You have to actually train them to get along because I have a cat who's just grumpy 24/7 and she hates basically all living beings except for my stepfather (who was the one who raised her). When I got a cat myself, the other cat was so angry and frustrated that she just hid herself inside the bedroom and now she rarely leaves. We never trained the two to get along, and now all she does is just hiss at anything that enters the room. My new cat is perfectly fine and has no trouble with getting along with other animals though. (we have a dog and a rabbit)

If your cat is going to be the troublemaker for the relationship, it will be very hard to train her to get used to the dog. Cats are stubborn and will do whatever they want, so if she gets irrationally upset, she will change her eating habits and be more protective of her territory while the dog has no idea what's happening.

• I wouldn't worry too much about it. Dogs and cats typically dislike each other at first, but they learn to tolerate the presence of one another. I'll provide an example of this...

I own a pit bull and two cats. One cat is 10 and another is a few years old. The dog is quite annoying (he likes to lick and chase the cats), but they don't fight anymore. They're actually starting to get along.
    A while back, I used to have a kitten named Shadow. He was BEST FRIENDS with the dog. They loved each other and would playfully "wrestle" (for lack of a better word). They even slept next to each other sometimes. The cat got run over, sadly, but there's an example of a dog and cat getting along.

Don't worry about it. Even if your cats don't like the dog you get, they will get used to him being there.

• That's not an issue. Reassuring animals that they're ok to be together is probably the best bet with your current situation. Try allowing the dog to be in a controlled room with the cat. Allow them to sniff each other and get use to each other and if they don't harm each other praise them. With whatever you have (E. g. treats, pats, kisses or cuddles). Then separate them again. Day after day make those "visiting hours" longer and longer and longer, till they have no issue with being around each other.

• I own a pitbull and a cat, and they're not hard to raise together. You should be fine.

• You should bring the dog into your house first to see what the cat thinks.

• Yes. If you train them both well. When I moved in with my boyfriend, he had a dog and I brang my cat. They were fine. Just never leave them alone together, especially when nobody is home. Even if they're cool with each other, the cat could accidentally annoy the dog, or the dog could want the cats food and all sorts of situations really, which can cause the dog to bite the cat... which tbh is a natural thing, even though you can teach them to get along.

Having said that. It depends a lot on both animals personality. Some are more easy going than others.

• 19d

Yea... Your cat could hurt the dog. And sometimes, if your cat hurts a dog, the dog will snap back defending itself. You'll definitely need to keep them apart. Even if you just leave the room for 2 seconds to get a drink or something quick, you need to bring one of them with you or shut one of them out the room. It could be dangerous, for either one of them.