Which one of these ideas about the relationship between Intelligence and loneliness do you think is more truthful?

Why?

• The smarter you are the less people understand you the more alone you feel
  • "Smart" people who feel alone simply haven't learned how to share their emotions
  • Everyone feels alone some people just think about it more than others
  • No one likes people who think they're smart

What Girls Said 4

• i voted a; i've always been intelligent, especially when it came to words and language. but, as a child, i always had to "dumb down" my speech because the other kids didn't understand me, and it was harder to make friends when my vocabulary was way over their heads.

as an adult, it's still second nature; i routinely talk far below my level, so that others don't feel bad. but going back to school is starting to break me of that habit~ my favourite literature professor talks to me as an equal; we have intelligent, stimulating discussions that i've been hard-pressed to find anywhere else.

(thankfully, my man is fairly articulate; i've caught myself attempting to dumb things down for him before i realize that i don't have to because he's on my level intellectually.)

• Honestly I can't help but see half this "smart person" shit as hopelessly pretentious stuff from people who want to feel superior or w/e. Like I'm so done with some peoples' elitist nonsense. Like, I'm not saying it's not valid, only that without actual science backing it up it just looks like silly fake-deep stuff for people who think they're smarter than everyone else. And by the way, this is all coming from me, a pretentious self proclaimed smart person who likes to feel superior. I just admit that it's dumb when I do it at least.

• I voted C. My brothers are also quite smart but they don't really seem to care about what other people think of them or feel too alone.
    I think feeling alone has more to do with the way you were brought up or if you feel loved, which I think it's more of an emotional response and in general affects women more.

• I was going to choose A before I read C. That might be true. Of course some are more lonely than others, but some people with a large social group will still feel lonely from time to time. I do think some people are just "thinkers" and they're always thinking more deeply into things, or trying to work out the whys and the how's, and they don't just forget it and let it go like others do. This can exacerbate those kinda feelings sometimes I think.

What Guys Said 5

• I agree the most with option A.

As a person that has always been told how smart/intelligent he is, I know how it feels to be so caught up in the analytics of social situations, that it is difficult to "switch off" that part of the brain, and enjoy the moment in a vapid fashion.

The talking in details of a small sliver of the conversation topic, to the point that other people get confused, bewildered, annoyed, and even frustrated with you because they can't follow your train of thought.

I'm a very social person and I like to socialize! However, with other highly brainy people, I can understand their lack of enjoyment with the general public. These people may have atypical hobbies, atypical ways of entertaining themselves, that the average person isn't able to relate to very much (if at all).

I know of several brainy people like the above, and the focus on their hobbies, somehow drove them to be less socially savvy. But they have improved much since I met them!

• I think all of the above really. If your smart you generally have to downplay it or others get offended. But as an intelligent person you also are looking for some one who understands you and how your mind works, some one who shares your passions and that's kind of hard to find the smarter you get, plus intelligent people tend to think about things more often thus dwelling more on their loneliness more then others. Then of course if your cerebral you tend to keep your emotions locked up more frequently and thus have a harder time making attachments. I think all come into play but it also depends on the individual which one is most prominent with them.

• I'm kind of stuck between (B) and (C). People who are above average in one thing (like intelligence) usually lack in something else (like social interaction) because they focus on one part more than the other. At the same time either one can think more about loneliness more than the other. Those are my thoughts.

• I am considered as very intelligent by all the people who know me and smart. I am engineer, know piano, draw and many other things, but I am not very good at social interactions. I am fine, but not good and especially with girls I am a bit introverted even though I look fine this fucks up a lot of my chances because I just don't say the right words. Anyway, I am the type of guy who thinks that anyone can be achieved by hard work, anyone can become both intelligent and very social if they work for it.

• The loniest man of the Marine is the admiral commanding it.