Car help? Do I need a new battery?

I drained the battery on my car today. Sitting in the parking lot waiting, i was working doing stuff with the accessories on but the engine not running. For quite a while... i lost track of time.

Went to start it and got a clicking noise. A guy came and jump started it for me, but told me tht after i drained the battery it's likely to give out again, especially with winter coming.

It starts up fine now, but wondering if i should get a new battery?

0|0
3|13

Most Helpful Guy

• Get the battery tested. Some can be recharged, some are too worn out to properly hold a charge and will fail again. If that's the case, get a new one.

The battery is continuously charged by the alternator while the engine is running, but with age it will lose the ability to retain that charge, and turning the starter is one of the most strenuous things it has to do.

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• If your in doubt you can always get the battery tested at a shop.

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 12

• The battery probably is still functional, but after completely depleting a battery, you're going to see some performance issues.

THEORY:
    Here's why. Batteries have these electrodes and plates , after a DEEP drain , the electrodes plates start to lose that material and the material deposits at the bottom of the battery case , which means you'll have less material for the reaction to take place , which means your battery is going to hold less charge , and the output voltage will be lower.

What you should:
    First get a battery tender.
    images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/.../...979360_.jpg
    Deep cycle charge it to salvage as much of the battery's performance as possible.
    Then get yourself a multimeter , fully charge and test your battery's voltage.
    If it's below 12.3V , it's dead but if it's somewhere round 12.5 , 12.6 , eh , not a spring chicken but it will do.

For winter time tho , you might want to drive your car daily , just to make sure the battery's charge won't get zapped. If you aren't gonna drive for a week , bring the battery in and hook it up to the battery tender.

1|0
    0|0
    • 20d

Winter won't "kill" your batteries but the cold does zap the charge faster. As long as your battery still holds a charge it should be okay but just make sure you remember you have a weak battery.

• A trick I've learnt is: turn everything on that consumes a lot of electricity: your lights in their strongest setting, radio on, GPS on, any other equipment on.
    If the car will still start normally than it can still take a beating.
    But do that only once and don't leave that stuff on. It's only a test.

1|0
    0|0
  • What is the year it was made/put in? Should have a 'distributed' year listed or something similar. Reason I ask is that most car batteries are good to be recharged. Your car actually does it every time the engine is running. That being said, draining an old battery all the way can do some damage. Especially, like the mystery man said, when low temps are involved.

1|0
    0|0
    • 20d

never replaced the battery before, almost 3 years now

• 17d

Should be good. Don't be afraid to safely drive at a higher RPM. This will help be sure it is recharged. If you have been driving it, it should be good. Pay attention to how long it takes turning over before it starts up when you turn the key on the morning of your first big frost. That can tell you if it is good or not also. Last, keeping jumper cables handy till you know it is good (couple cold morning start ups) is a good idea. I'm in the electrical field, not automotive.

• It really depends on the age of the battery.

Completely draining them, like that, is never good for them, but if it's a fairly new battery; you should be able to get some more life out of it.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'd get it tested. Winter is coming, not sure where you live, but up here where I live, a dead battery isn't a good thing at all.

1|0
    0|0
  • Don't do that. You probably don't need a new battery depending on what "a while" was and how many amps you were drawing. As long as terminal connections are tight and engine turns over on cold cranking, should be fine. Run your engine for a while and recharge it.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes. If you fully discharge a car battery, it weakens it. This is especially true if the battery is more than 2 years old.

Batteries can be tested to determine their overall status nowadays.

Ours recently got fully discharged and it tested out at 88% after that. The battery was about 2 years old. It wasn't recommended the battery get replaced at that point.

Car batteries generally must be replaced no later than every 6 years.

Have it checked to make sure.

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope. It should be fine. Don't jump the gun and buy a new battery yet. You can take it to an auto shop and they'll test it for free if that'll make you feel better, But you're fine. Don't worry about it.

1|0
    0|0
  • Go and get it tested.

1|0
    0|0
  • Take you car to an auto parts store, they can load est the battery and tell you if it's good or not. Draining a battery to 0v is likely to kill it, but if your car was clicking you will likely be okay.

1|0
    0|0
  • You will be alright for a good while.

1|0
    0|0
  • No if you don't do it often and you let your car run untell it fully charged it should be fine but so you know a dead battery will freeze and rupture in the winter so try not to let it die when it's cold outside

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• Yes. Probably a good idea.
    You might be fine, but, winter can take a toll.

1|0
    0|0
  • If you have an autozone near you they will test it and charge it for you. :)

1|0
    0|0