What excuses have you given to call in sick/unable to go to work?

What excuses have you used before? I heard a new one today - they couldn't come in because a herd of ants had invaded their backyard and they needed to get it sorted...

Most Helpful Guy

• My all time fav wasn't mine but a employees.. she called and said she was waiting at home for the doctor to call back with results from her STD screening lol

Most Helpful Girl

• My car doors were frozen shut and I couldn't get in it to drive to work.

Also, I locked my keys in the trunk of my car by accident.

Both actually happened, too, by the way.

What Guys Said 22

• none really. i don't have sick days just personal days and so with personal days you don't really need a reason why you are calling out

• I always just called in and said I had diarrhea. It's "funny" enough that everyone laughs instead of questions it, and harmless enough that no one expects a doctor's note or something..

• lol, that's such a lame excuse. Unless they could honestly say that their house was in jeopardy then I don't think I'd accept that. Even if I did accept it I would ask that they attend work before and after the appointment with pest control (assuming that's what they were trying to arrange). I don't think they would legitimately need to sit at home all day.

We had a guy who was off sick for a few weeks because of back injury, but then he went and posted a video on Youtube of himself performing with his band and he was dancing on stage and everything. The video went viral in the office and that guy found himself with much more free time to dedicate to his music career :D

• Oh my goodness... with most employers that wouldn't work out except if you took a day off... but indeed some try (an lie) :-(

• The best I've heard was that their mother was beating her grandchildren and they couldn't leave her alone with them.

• "Not today. I'm tired."

• You know, I've never given a reason for not going in. I just flat out tell them I'm not coming in today and leave it at that 😊

• I told my professor that I was throwing up blood and i kept stuttering on the phone...

• Am the boss of my own :P i look at my self in the mirror and say: Stay home today! your earned it''

• At work, none. At school - plenty lol. Anything that came to mind so long as not too far fetched.

• I'm almost never sick so when I call in either I'm not sick, or I'm VERY sick. I generally use some sort of excuse similar to "stuck in the bathroom".

• 16d

I'm the same - deaths door or Netflix and naps

• 16d

Yup! Netflix, video games, going out for lunch... Those are the best sick days. :-D

• 16d

I'm almost never sick, either. I toughen up when I can. But if the employer won't allow me to come in, then I stay home.

• Whatever caused me to have to miss work. I'm not the kind to lie. If I need a day off, I just take paid time off.

• 16d

I have both paid time off and paid sick time. If I don't use my paid sick time I lose it. So yup, I'm going to take it.

• 15d

@ProbablyTooMature I wish I made that kind of money for PTO.

• 15d

After two years here I go from 10 days of PTO to 15... but still a far cry from the 26. I don't think I'll be here long enough to see that though. :-P

• I have documented migranes and anxiety disorders, I can pretty much choose just not to go to work and tell them I have a migraine with no harm done to my work record.

• "I have a really bad headache 🤕"
    "My tummy hurts ☹️"

• "My dog crapped on the carpet and I can't come in because I have to clean it up". Worked for me lol

• 16d

😐 did it actually happen?

• 16d

Haha I literally take days off or work from home so they aren't lonely 😳

• 16d

Aw, you're a good mommy :)

• I'm sick and cannot come in.
    I don't need an excuse.

• No excuses i go to work even i am so sick

• In my 25 years of management i heard them all.

• Couldn't walk correctly after leaving the gym

• Vomiting or diarrhoea
    Family member has been rushed to hospital

• Dog ate grapes and I had to purge him (grapes are fatal to dogs). Water heater failed.. hadda replace. Water pump on car went out... had to replace.

Those were true.,...

My lie once was I got food poisoning; but really was too drunk to go to work and I was throwing up...

• Constant vomiting or Diarrhea

What Girls Said 9

• Go to school, went to the nurse office, and told her my tummy hurt sooo bad, and that I throw up in the bathroom.
    My mother came for me. 😊
    I got to know the nurse very well. 😉

• I generally go with
    I just puked
    I have terrible stomach aches
    Back pain/neck pain
    Anxiety attacks.

I have most of these so

• Lol. A herd of Ants? 🐜
    I just say I'm sick. Nobody wants a sick person in my office. They practically encourage you to go home or stay home.

• 16d

😂 a herd!
      I asked if he meant a colony and he said no, definitely a herd. I told him to give me a call back if they started stampeding 🐘🐘

• 16d

That word really conjures up a pretty scary visual. Lol.

• 16d

funny!

• well I have epilepsy so I use that sometimes since it's true that I have it. so sometimes i tell them I'm having an episode. but really I haven't had an episode in over 2 years

• I just say wfh and then i sleep all day

• my uncle is a dentist
    I use a report from him muhahahahaha

• I believe I've only called in twice ever and I was truly sick both times

• I once over slept and missed class in college, so I told the nurse I was sick (which was a lie) and to my surprise when she took my temperature it was actually high 😁. So I got a note saying I missed classes because I was sick.