Will Time Travel be Possible someday in the Future?

What's your opinion on possibilities of time travel?

• Yes, but we will be able to travel only in the Past - because the Future hasn't happened yetWill Time Travel be Possible someday in the Future?
  • Yes, but we will be able to travel only in the Future - because the Past is gone for goodWill Time Travel be Possible someday in the Future?
  • Yes, we will be able to travel both in the Past and the Future, and change some eventsWill Time Travel be Possible someday in the Future?
  • Yes, we will be able to travel both ways, but only mentally, not physically, and we won't be able to change anything because of the time paradoxWill Time Travel be Possible someday in the Future?
  • No, we won't be able to travel trough timeWill Time Travel be Possible someday in the Future?
  • Maybe, I don't knowWill Time Travel be Possible someday in the Future?
  • I'm a time traveler already (option for Gallifreyans only) :PWill Time Travel be Possible someday in the Future?

Most Helpful Girl

• Maybe in a million years, but not so soon :(

• 19d

You never know. We are already creating a kind of time travel for living cells and embryos. Who knows, it might not be long before we're doing this with people.

• 4d

Thank you for MHO

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it will be possible but only mentally, we probably won't be able to change events (unfortunately).

What Girls Said 20

• if you look at the memory den in fallout 4, i'd say that something similar is not that far off.

as with the memory den, you'd have to exercise extreme caution, so as not to become "addicted" to reliving the past; there's also no guarantee that the memories picked up by the memory loungers will be good ones.

• To the past? No.
    The future? Yes but not in the way you think.

Science and medicine in some ways have become so linked that we can safely freeze embryos and living cells only to unfreeze them later to see them healthy and unaged.
    Eventually we will be able to do this with full grown adults.

In this sense, even though they are still living through each day, because they would be in a state simulating death, when they are thawed to them no time will have passed, regardless of how long they were frozen for.

Time is not something that can be rewound or fast forward.

Any person who has been in a coma then awoken, and not been conscious during, has essentially time travelled, however not with their body, as their body has still aged.

With the adaption of cryogenic technology, time travel into the future will be possible. However it will be costly, you will be relying on the people around to keep you alive, and you can never go back.
    And you never know what you might find.

• 16d

I remember reading about a girl who was in an accident and went into a coma when she was about 16. She woke up at about 45. Can't imagine having such a big chunk taken out of your life - just think, waking up with a high school mindset and you're in your forties...

• If you asked me this question a couple of years ago, I would have said that it's impossible. But now I'm thinking that it's a possibility.

I voted G though, because TARDIS :D

• I hope we will, but I'm not so sure.

• 20d

Chances are the only way I can remotely see it have a chance of being possible and becoming a reality is if teleportation becomes possible and a reality first, especially by opening up wormholes and gateways where you can enter and be somewhere else or a selected destination near instantaneously. Imagine, never having to drive long hours or wait in long lines at the airport, want to go some where just walk right through a portal doorway and voila you're there in a split second.

• Maybe in like 2000 years or something not happening soon for sure and better never happening honestly...

• if it were possible, don't you think somebody from the future would be here on GAG to let us know?

• 20d

But even if they did, would you believe them? I brought up Out-of-place artifacts as something interesting to look into that could be relevant to "time travel": en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out-of-place_artifact

And it may or may not mean that time travel had already been possible although many cases where there had been an out-of-place artifact had been debunked as hoaxes or misconceptions isn't what people would originally expect such as proof of someone had time traveled and put them where they doesn't belong, but I don't think all of them are solved and it makes me wonder sometimes.

• 19d

Yes, it's possible, lots of secrets are kept by the government, hidden from the public.

• 19d

Yes-because the government is so good at keeping secrets.

• I would like to go to the past and change some events, but future is fine too, just to see what kind of new technology we are going to have in about 1000 years from now.

• Voted D

• No, I think it is simply impossible.

• Working on it.

• I'm not so sure, but maybe.

• Darn, I certainly hope so

• I hope we will be able to go both ways.

• probably not.

• Bad news first - there is no future or past, only present.

Now for some good news - we are already time traveler if we are aware of past, present, and future right here right now.

• Wishful thinking

• No way dude.

• Simple answer... NO.

If it were, then we would have people from the future coming back now.

• 15d

Maybe we have them already, but we don't know it yet.

• 13d

It wouldn't matter if they were forbidden to tell us... them simply being here would change the future and create a paradox.

• 13d

Not if they were careful and professional ;)

• no bc I think we would know, especially if time travelers could change events 😛

• No I don't think so.

What Guys Said 41

• It's questionable, but as of now, we know it's not possible, yet. But many things once thought to be impossible things eventually became possible such as the creation of airplanes for heavier-than-air flight, or sending someone to the moon.

The way I see it, when teleportation becomes completely possible and part of our reality, then I think it probably could eventually lead to the possibility of time travel, since I believe the two are relevant.

by the way, there are some situations where there are "out of place artifacts":

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out-of-place_artifact

Now whether this is relevant, I have no idea, could it possibly be an explanation that Time Travel had already exist, or is yet to exist? Many times Out-of-place artifacts had been debunked, but some are not 100% explained, so you decide what you what to believe.

I honest have idea and won't know, and speaking of time paradoxes for specifically backwards time travel, if it applies, then that mean there is one timeline and reality and one timeline and reality only, that it cannot be altered, modified or changed in anyway.

Otherwise there are no paradoxes, and that each time someone were to travel back in the past to alter something they would only create alternate timelines and realities that don't affect the timeline and reality that they originally had departed from. In other words they can change the past and future, but it would be a completely separate reality and timeline they had created by going backwards and messing around in the past.

I really don't know, and then there are conspiracy theories about portals and dimensions relevant to the "Large Hadron Collider".

As for traveling into the future, this theoretically could be done if we had the ability to travel faster than the speed of light, such as in a space ship with a warp drive or something, because then you'd enter into time dilation and skip decades, centuries, or perhaps even millenniums ahead jumping forward in time leaving everyone and everything else behind.

• Anyone who says, "It will never be possible to do _____," is being arrogant. They are assuming that they know enough to answer the question. Truly intelligent people are always aware of the limits of their knowledge and they avoid making such categorical statements.

• 21d

Actually, physicists have pretty much proven that it's impossible... general and special relativity kinda disproved that and direct evidence of spacetime has also confirmed those theories... at least backwards time travel

• 21d

No, I get your point and understood it from the beginning. It makes sense from a philosophical standpoint saying that it may be eventually possible... to which I say, rhetorically, anything could be possible. By that logic, it's totally possible I'll wake up with a 3rd arm. But given the mounting evidence and knowledge of physics and mathematics and our technology, we have basically concluded that time travel isn't possible. Simply saying experts are wrong without providing any evidence to suggest otherwise is just being stubborn and willfully stupid for the sake of being stubborn and stupid. It's like trying to argue that light sabers might eventually exist... sure, it can technically exist but that's not how light or plasma works, no matter how hard you/I want it to happen. I don't want to burst your bubble and you're entitled to believe in what you want, but I'm just telling you that time travel is impossible, that's not how space/universe, quantum physics, time or spacetime works

• 20d

@Other_Tommy_Wiseau @OlderAndWiser

Don't forget about the possibility of advanced extraterrestrials that may already possess such technology that allows them to go into the past, assuming that there will ever be such an advanced race of extraterrestrials that exist and if we ever encounter them. Because we never know for certain. Although I understand that our earth-based technology and various elements, materials and resources aren't able to accomplish such but what about the possibilities of other elements, resources, materials that are beyond Earth? None of us had been way out there beyond our solar system to explore, so maybe something we don't expect to ever happen could turn out to be a complete surprise for us.

So like @ OlderAndWiser, expect the unexpected sometimes.

• there is a lot of theory for how it could work and a lot of it makes sense in theory. but in reality and practicality at this point it seems impossible. one popular theory is the traveling at the speed of light or faster. the idea is that if something can travel faster than light it will appear somewhere else at a different however concurrent time (so a different physical time on a clock and/or calendar however at the same time in reality [so essentially the parallel universe idea]).

but in practicality the amount of energy it would take to move a person at the speed of light is immeasurable (infinite) and if such energy could be harnessed physicist believe such energy would invariably kill matter (the object time traveling)

the theory of time travel is there, sound, and possible but the practicality of actually applying it seems impossible

• 21d

Until we discover some more powerful source of energy?

• 20d

that and until we find a way to sustain matter at such high levels of energy. even with measurable energies there limits to what organic and inorganic can survive

• Time travel in the future is already possible and has been for many years - if you're not sure I can explain it to you. However the past is different. Because the past creates an alternate path... it may not be possible to change a certain outcome but it may be possible to create a new future

• 20d

That's why I think there are no paradoxes, just alternate timelines and realities even if going into the past was somehow achievable and became possible. by the way, ever heard of Out-Of-Place Artifacts? They made me think about whether it is relevant to time travel into the past, although many cases had already been debunked as hoaxes, but some are still unsolved, though does not necessarily mean that it is because of time travel into the past, just that they have not been solved yet.

• Only to other universes because you can't travel in the past. Just can not, no matter how you spin it. You can only travel to the past of another universe.

• 21d

Right, you mean parallel worlds? That's a very interesting theory, you have a good point.

• 21d

Exactly. A story I'm slowly writing has this element in it. Time travel where people from the future conquer past parallel Earths. Kind of time travel but at the same time not.

• It would have already happened if it did unless the time travelers are good at concealing themselves.

Parallel universes haven't even been proved, so it's possible that whatever happens is a result of a time traveler changing things already and you can't go back in time and change things because they already happened.

• It's already been created there are quite a few old photo's that have people in them that shouldn't be there wearing clothes that aren't of that time or have things on them that have not been invented or created yet.

• I'm hoping that it's not possible. I don't want idiots dicking around in the past and screwing up the future/present.

• Going forward in time is theoretically possible, but it would require a vast amount of energy which we so far have no ability to create or harness. Going backwards is pretty much impossible

• Future only and maybe on mentally, if possible to go back then we would have seen them already

• Yes, but it's not possible in our lifetime.

• It won't

But if it is

I'm taking money and investing it in google
    Bill gates
    Steve jobs
    Etc etc things like that and be a 200x billionaire and be a Santa figure that'd be fun

• I'm a time lord so yes time travel is possible. But for some reason my tardis doesn't allow me to go back to last Sunday so I can correct a mistake I made

• Time itself is more of a concept we have to understand stuff than a tangible thing if you ask me, so nope.

• 21d

But when we manage to understand it, maybe then it will be possible?

• 21d

time is tangible. Just our way of measuring it is a concept. Time is the one thing we cannot change.

• I think, yes it will be possible but most of the scientists have not still understood what "time" is and how time works on the universe. Plus, we are in the third dimension, but time depends on fourth dimension, that's whyv

• 21d

That's why, time currency is not understandable for right now. Scientists try to solve some paradoxes and some problems to understand how wormholes work, because time travel will be possible with wormholes. Allcubierre device shows the possible wormholes in out universe but it's not used today.

• 20d

The same goes for the possibility of teleportation. I figured for time travel to have a chance remotely of being possible, they'd have to completely sort out and figure out how to get teleportation to work and get it to work for real first, since that involves wormholes.

• I don't know but I hope so man

• Time is a production of the human sensory apparatus. It's not 'real' in the sense that it is some kind of linear medium that can traversed.

• no but I think apparition would be possible

• There's been enough shows to convey the butterfly effect of time travel. I'm no holding my breath.

• If we are able to travel to the past, then the changes we will have made will have already happened.
    To the future? Technically, that is possible, because you can go into space in an area with almost no gravity, and time will travel much faster on Earth than it will there.

• The whole butter fly effect makes it improbable and unusable. Like for instance when you are conceived you are the result of a particular sperm fertilising your mothers egg, if it was a different you would not be conceived it would be a completely different person, so the smallest changes can have vast knock on effects and any millimetre of change could erase your existence.

• 16d

Not if the Multiverse theory is correct.

• 16d

There might be other earths in the universe but in most of them you were never born for the same reason as why time travel to the past is a bad idea. Your creation was an exact event any earlier or later and the combination of genes you got from your parents would mean the creation of someone else.

• 15d

Yeah, I know what you mean

• if it's possible, religions will be questioned.

• Nah common sense tells me that if someone's was capable of building time travel that we'd already have visitors.

• 21d

Perhaps we have them already, but we don't know it yet.

• 21d

Humans are stupid. We can't keep secrets haha one of them woukd of blurted out they have a time machine 😂

• 20d

@akadatank44 like a real working Delorean? I'd take that any day, hate going back in time complete but naked if you know what I mean lol

• I'd like to go to future, because of the lottery numbers :P

• My guess would be no.

• I'm sure it will someday

• The only way we'll be able to time travel will be through cryogenic stasis and that will only take us into the future, but at a regular rate while we sleep for however long it takes to get us there.

• To achieve time travel you must first achieve a speed faster than the light. And if you can pull that off you will simply get disintegrated. In other words, it's impossible.

• 21d

But what if you don't get disintegrated when you travel faster than light?

• 20d

Do you have a logic explanation on how this could be possible?
      Physics says you can't go faster than the speed of light.
      We are talking about 600MPH here.
      If you're good at math (I suck), study Einsteins equation of relativity E = mc2.
      In the Star Wars technology documentary they also cover the ability of space ships in the movies to travel faster than light.

https://youtu.be/bfWqvBW7GHM?t=8m22s

• 20d

Einstein was wrong, Tesla was right ;)

• I wish but its only fantasy i dont think it ever happens for one reason. If it did happened i think we never had world wars and now would live in peace because someone came and change it long time ago. So i guess not it won't be invented.

• Time travel is already possible. It's just stuck in one direction and at one set speed.

• More from Guys
    11