Do you consider it immoral to sell a dead's person stuff?

I have sold stuff the last few years, that they used to belong to my dad, who passed away 12 years ago.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• No, he won't need it and people keep a lot of stuff. I would keep a few personal/valuable/sentimental things and get rid of the rest

Most Helpful Guy

• No. I don't think it's immoral in any way. I've also sold a lot of my dad's stuff.

At first it seemed kind of weird selling his stuff. It seemed even weirder to throw things away. That was especially true of things he had for a long time, sometimes 50-60 years or more. It felt like these things were important to him, then I come along and throw them in the trash, as if they are nothing.

Eventually I got past that. Partly because I thought of my own stuff, including things that are important to me, or I've had for more than 40 years in some cases. But if I die, I seriously don't care what my family does with my stuff. If it's something they can use and want, then take it. If they don't want it, then sell, throw it away, whatever they want to do.

After a while, I didn't feel bad for selling or tossing things of his. I might have an emotional attachment to it because it brings back memories. But that's something else entirely.

Different people go about this differently. Some people completely clean everything out within days. Others take years and may not ever get it done. There is no right or wrong way. I don't see any moral questions. It's just a matter of what is the best for you and your family. Yes, much of that will revolve around how you "feel" about it. If it really bothers you, and there is no pressing reason to hurry the job, then it's OK to delay. You'll feel differently over time.

What Girls Said 3

• Nah, it's fine.

• Why? They're dead tf they don't need it anymore

• Meant to click B.
    Immoral no.
    I consider it kind of insensitive though.

What Guys Said 15

• In some cultures all of the deceased's belongings are to be buried with them. A person failing to do so has a curse upon them. Nowadays that's not practical as most people simply have too much stuff. Sell all and give proceeds to charity if you feel guilty.

• If you don't have a use for or any attachment to the items and someone else can use them then you are better of selling them or donating them.

• No but you should keep his most treasured possessions. I know I would be ok if my kids sold any stuff I left behind, I couldn't ask them to hold on forever to all my stuff forever. If they sold my house like any money I would have left them I would hope they would put the money to go use and not waste it on personal pleasure.

• No, your dad would be glad if selling his things would help you make a better life. Unless he told you "never sell my stuff" lol you are fine! If he told you to keep some thing as memory and you sell it then it is immoral

• as long as its like regular shit, now if its like photos or like grandpops m1 rifle he used in ww2, then hell no don't sell that lol

• So you are forced to hold onto a whole bunch of nonsense for the rest of ya life.
    All goods lad

• I don't consider morals at all about anything, i just do it if I feel like it. As far as you dad's stuff he's dead so I don't think he's going to notice it missing and be pissed.

• Unless he left it in someone's will or as an heirloom then I don't see what's wrong with it.

• I think you can sell anything that's without any emotional value or significance

• No, they're dead.
    What are they going to need it for?

• Nope.

• unless he wanted it to stay with the family I don't see an issue

• Im not going too keep their stuff around.

• Generally I think it's fine, unless you know your father would have liked you to hold onto it and pass it down.

• No a lot of people do that in fact you probably find things on eBay because of that