So that's the general stucture of an amino acid, which is the building block of polypeptides, which are the basis for all of life, whether they catalyze chemical reactions important to the bodies metabolism or acting as antibodies to protect infection.
That being said the central carbon is called the alpha carbon and the carbon part of the carboxylic group is just simply a carbon. Why is it not an alpha too? Isn't that discrimination?
I think discrimination exists because of nature because of what I just said.
- Nature is a racist25%(1)25%(2)Vote25%(1)
- That carbon is an alpha (plz explain)25%(1)12%(1)Vote0%(0)
- Gtfo and do your orgo hw50%(2)50%(4)Vote50%(2)
- Nature is a bitch0%(0)13%(1)Vote25%(1)
- Pink anon is a nerd lmao0%(0)0%(0)Vote0%(0)
Most Helpful Guy
Random chaos basically1
Most Helpful Girl
well, nature didn't give it a name... it's just another unit of carbon in the chain. People gave it the name.1