Someone I know has committed a crime in another country, how do I turn them in?

It's fairly serious and I have evidence to prove it... but the only problem is this person is in another country.
How do I turn them in or report them if they're in another country?

19d To all the people who are concerned, I'm okay but unfortunately I can't share details, sorry, I hope you understand.
19d I am in Australia, and they are in the USA.

What Guys Said 31

• What kind of crime? That makes a big difference.

If where the crime was committed, and the location of the person are two different countries, I'd forget about it unless it's REALLY REALLY serious.

You said the guy is in the US. If the guy is in one state, and the crime was in another state, I'd forget about it unless it's a pretty serious crime. They won't extradite from one state to another unless it's serious. (yes that requires an extradition)

Most crimes in the US are state law. Very few criminal laws are federal. Ideally you should contact the state authorities in the state where the crime was committed. If s/he is in a different state, I think reporting it there would be worthless because they can't do a thing about it. You want the place where the crime was committed, not where he is.

A few crimes are federal and can be reported to the FBI. I'm sure there is way at their web site that's not too difficult to figure out. You could even report other crimes there as well. Even if it's not their jurisdiction, they could still report it to the proper authorities.

Otherwise, look up the state online, and it shouldn't be too hard to find the right place to report it. If you want to say which state it is, probably somebody here could find the right place faster than you could. It's always more difficult to find your way around government sites in other countries where they have different names for everything.

• 19d

"I am in Australia, and they are in the USA. "
      It doesn't matter where you are unless you are the victim. If you are the victim I would forget about it unless it's VERY serious. If you are the victim and want to report it, you should report it where you live, not to the US.

Bottom line is, report it where the crime took place. Let them decide if it's worth pursuing overseas.

If this is child porn or something like that, then possession of it will be a crime where they are, regardless of where the porn came from.

• You can report the crime to your local law enforcement and they can then escalate the issue to the relevant authorities. Or you could contact a relevant agency in the country where you believe the crime has been committed.

• It depends how serious this crime was and was it against you? maybe contacting the police in that country would be a good start

• Just lmao.

• Spill the beans. What's in the low low? I ain't no snitch 😏

• Simply go to the police in Australia and ask them to relay the info to their collegues in the USA. It will certainly be apprciated that you share whatever info can help solving a case :D

• I guess you need to contact their local authorities but you'll to get that phone number to call them directly and also the time zone will be different depending where

• It depends on what country asserts jurisdiction over the actions and under what basis. For example, here in the US we have what is known as the Alien Tort Act, which permits victims of torts committed in other countries to seek redress against those who took such action against them. Thus, at civil law, there is a clear option for people who have been wronged, usually at the level of human rights violations.

• 19d

I did some research on it, since he in the USA which is easier because Australia can request a broad range of assistance from other countries. Australia can consider a mutual assistance request from any country. Australia can only consider requests made by a foreign country government, not individuals. I suggest you to contact with the local police and make it anonymously.

• In most western countries police have online-applications for that.

That being said - it should be a serious crime if you do something like that.

• What country are they in

• Talk to your local police for advice or find out what state they live in and report them to their local police.

• if it's against you and something serious and you have evidence you might go to your police which can contact the police in that other country and cooperate.

• It depends on the nature of the crime... I hope no one is hurt... Does it involve underage exploitation?

• Call there national police force and tell them what you know and the proof yiu have

• The question should be if you should. Whats the crime?

• File a case in your country and then report to the Australian and US Embassy.

• Interpol

• Tons of online "tip" lines for that just requires a bit of research.

• I'm not sure what you can do, it depends in which country this person is in.

• Nothing will happen unless that person comes in his/her home country
    What happened btw?

• No inter-country police. Laws are only enforced in your home country.
    Welcome to the real world (which is why genocide happens). The gov and police only have so much power.

• 19d

So the moral of the story is, if you are going to get rid of someone, wait until they leave the country.

• 19d

Preferably, a country with sub-par forensics.

• Go to Interpol.

• Depends on how serious the crime is. If its something like a burglary, turn them in to local police. If they've done a bank heist or something more serious like that, than call 911.

• talk to police or if that country has an embassy you can talk to those are a good start.

• Why in the world would you do that? Do you know that person?
    You're a snitch in his/her eyes anyways

• 19d

And you might get yourself in trouble, so why this unnecessary justice

• Just find the local police of that country you call them or probably write them a message.

• What country is it in?

• stay out of their business if you are not the victim. What if their criminal activity is much more than you know? You might but yourself in danger or at least in for a big headache that could impact your life

• That is none of your business

• Fbi or from your local police raiding this to Interpol.

• More from Guys
    1

What Girls Said 5

• I was hoping I'd get to answer this anonymously (and provide details that I wouldn't otherwise say), but oh well... First, how you report it depends on these things:
    1) Where you live.
    2) Where he/she lives.
    3) What the crime is.
    4) What the laws in those countries are.
    5) Oh, and it also depends on how much you know about that person. (Do you know their full name, at least, and have you verified it with internet searches?)

Since you won't share what the crime is, I can't help you as much as I'd to. I can only assume the situation based on my experiences. So, let me quickly say that I was once involved in a crime. When I was 13, I had a run-in (online) with a pedophile. I was very close to actually meeting him, but I panicked and emailed the FBI. I don't know what the crime is between you two, but I suggest contacting the FBI (they have websites online with phone numbers and emails), a local police department, or even turning to a friend/relative and asking for advice from them.

In the meantime, I recommend that you gather as much evidence as possible. Photographs, screenshots of conversations, a full description of him, and everything you know about him. Also, of course you would have to share details with whoever you contact about it. The more information you can provide, the better the outcome will be for you.

Good luck. PM me if you have any questions about my experience.

• I always start here https://report.cybertip.org/

• I guess you can do that. You should talk to the authorities from that country. I guess you should first talk with the authorities in your country first and then they should call the ones from his/her country.

• i know you cannot tell me what they did but i so want to know what they did lol

• Oh my giosh!🙊 what happened?