Should the state require that service animals have some documentation showing they are service animals and have been prescribed by a professional?

A recent mytake inspired this question. The title says it all.

I know and work with people who are teamed with service animals. I have heard their opinions. I would like to hear your opinions.

I have my own opinion, which I'll divulge later.

• Yes, documentation should be required
  • No, documentation shouldn't be required

What Girls Said 3

• In my honestly relatively uninformed opinion, I think it's reasonable to ask for some sort of verification, but not necessarily thorough documentation. Basically, I don't think people with service animals should be required to divulge personal information or wear a visible badge or something, but I think it's legitimate to have people carry a government/doctor issued card around or something similar that they can show people when asked for it. That said, I really haven't looked into this much so it's possible that there are issues with that that I'm not thinking of, but as far as I can see that seems like it should be a fine solution.

• I agree with the idea, i dont believe it can be implemented evenly and fairly.

• No. For some, getting that help is so difficult. People think getting help for things is always easy, it isn't. Sometimes, it's quite obvious there is something wrong but you're unable to get that help so you take your own steps to helping yourself.

• 20d

I am not suggesting getting help is easy. The reason why the service animal is required need not be on the certificate. Only that it is a prescribed service animal.

• 14d

Anon, I believe that people who need a service animal for whatever reason should get one. However, I think that they must also be required to carry some certification that it's indeed a service animal. As it is ANYONE can claim a pet is a service animal.

• 14d

I agree, but they can't always get one. It's been ruined now of course, by tons of people claiming service animal when it isn't, but I think there needs to be another solution. Even if they can directly go to a breeder who only does service animals, without being referred, and they have a licence like that, it'll be better.

What Guys Said 17

• If you are an employee of a business, you are part of a team that is responsible for the safety and well-being of your customers. But if you see a dog that is frightened and acting strangely, presenting a problem to customers and/or staff you can ask the owner if the dog is a service dog and what service it provides (in general terms). Once you have those answers, regardless of the truth, you are not permitted to challenge further.

I have seen scare, skittish dogs being dragged through store aisles, darting underfoot placing customers at risk. Also, some customers place their animals in shopping carts. There are already enough concerns about not very clean carts being used for your food. A dog's bare butt should not be added.

A trained, legitimate service animal is able to act appropriately in crowds and not be a danger to others. And they are a great help to those who actually are disabled in some way. It would be helpful to have official documentation to prove the dog is a trained service dog, and that would not violate privacy of health circumstances.

• Not unless there is a widespread problem, and I've never heard of anything like that.

I'm against licensing just for the sake of licensing. Like in California you have to have a license to wipe your ass. It accomplishes very little, but drives prices up. The license gives little, if any, protection to consumers. Yet it reduces competition considerably. It can give consumers a false sense that a license holder is qualified, when it does very little in that regard.

Most of those license tests are very easy to study for and pass. I have a license to do things that I actually have no idea how to do. I came very close to passing a test to work on radar systems. I know nothing about radars except what could be summarized in a few paragraphs.

• 20d

I'm not talking about a license. I'm just talking about some documentation that it's a service animal and not some pet that you really want to take everywhere.

• 20d

Yes I understood that it's just documentation. But that is actually a problem? I don't see why documentation would be needed unless somebody questioned it. If someone has a service dog that's not obviously a service dog they could get some sort of documentation to prove it. But I don't see why that would need state intervention. Maybe I'm totally missing something.

As far a licensing, it's much the same thing. I assume the professional who provides the documentation would be licensed in some way. In a general sense, it's all just red tape and government intervention. I'm not against that, but only if there is a good justified reason. My definition of being justified and the state's reason do not usually agree.

• 14d

The documentation should be required to prevent fraud, and yes, people do claim pets as comfort animals to avoid pet restrictions in apartments and other public places.

• Like to be carried on your person? I think they have a little laminated slot on the harness for that on a lot of service dogs I've seen. My buddy actually got a fake one so he could bring his dog with him everywhere, haha. Wicked chill dog, but I could definitely see where problems could arise. Like kids, pretty everyone thinks their own is awesome, but that's not always the case, haha.

• i thought service dogs did have to have their certification visible? at least they do in my state. a service dog has their certs in a laminated card usually attached to the collar

it makes sense but i guess i'd want to here an official reason why they shouldn't have to have them present before saying YES VISIBLE DOCUMENTATION SHOULD BE REQUIRED

• More like an official vest that only people who have a real and trained service dog can get. I'm sick of poeple taking their tiny dogs around and just saying they are service dogs. It is just insulting and it ruins people's attitudes towards real service dogs.

• 14d

My brother's friend, who is blind himself AND HAS THE BEST GUIDE DOG EVER, agrees with you.

• 14d

: o) Sweet

• I think that's a reasonable idea that can be beneficial. What I mean is from many private business perspectives, they don't want animals in their business because of the possible issues they can cause like urinating on the floor, patrons dander allergies, etc. These business also tend to unknowingly allow undocumented dogs because of fear of being sued from not allowing potential service dogs. So having clear identification would allow both sides to maximize their rights.

• Yes, documentation should be required. I've been on a Access Transportation
    before and this guy was legally blind and his service dog was on a leash but
    it was coming over to me. So what happens but choice, if that dog would
    try to protect that blind guy and come over to me for some reason with
    a aggression, i feel you just never know what a service dog will do to
    protect it's owner whose legally handicap?

• There should be some type of state-issued license, yeah. And perhaps the dog should wear some kind of universal patch or something on its harness with an identifying number.

• Yes, documentation should be required. There is the Americans With Disabilities Act, which allows service animals on a state to state basis..

• Only guard dogs.

• 20d

Why only guard dogs?

• 20d

These are the only problematic ones.

• 14d

No, the problem isn't just with guard dogs.

The problem is that in the state of California, no documentation of a service animal is required. At all.

This means ANYONE can claim ANY animal is a service animal and no business can do anything about it. Anyone can take any dog, cat, pig, bird, monkey, whatever ANYWHERE he/she wants, claim it's a service animal, and cannot be denied entry into any public place.

My friend, who is a licensed therapist, has had her dog labeled a service animal by one of her therapist colleagues to avoid eviction from her apartment.

• Yeah, I'm thinking this service animal thing is getting out of hand, at least as far as flying is concerned.

I think for the most part it is just people who don't want Bruno down in the cargo hold.

• the government is too big already. This really isn't a problem. i am wating for documentation to be needed for farting. Are you going to pay for this?

• 14d

It is a problem. I think the owner should pay for it.

• 14d

it is number 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 on my list of concerns. the owner will not be the one who ends up paying for it, you will. Like everything the government does

• Nope,
    Just because I want to see more dogs

• This is open for discrimination

• 20d

How so?

• 20d

If you have PTSD you should have a service animal. If you are handicapped, you are walking with a cane, you are disabled.

• 14d

I'm not sure how that explains it makes things open for discrimination.

• Yes they should be required to sh documentation unless they are blind and obviously have a seeing eye dog

• i think there is some documation that they have been trained. some airlines are pickey about this

• 14d

Airlines come under FAA rules. In the state of California, no documentation is tequired.

• Is this not already the case? I'd say it should be up to each state to decide.