You're reading a novel & a sex scene comes up. How do you probably feel?

My Creative Writing professor, a male, said that it's "one of the most boring things to read. Just say 'they made love'."

I call bullshit at least for male readers.

What do you think? How would you probably feel at a sex/masturbation scene?

• normal
  • bored
  • amused
  • sexually aroused
  • pleased
  • grossed out
  • other
20d Updatee.
19d I would've thought that many men get aroused at just some detail regarding sex haha

What Guys Said 22

• The same as when a "sex" scene comes up in a non-porn movie. I cringe at the puerile depiction.

I remember reading Neuromancer and being totally put off by the descriptions of the sex. I also remember reading an adventure story set in the Africa during World War II and giving up due to the constant, downright adolescent sexualisation of the female character - I couldn't help but image the author sweating lustfully as he typed out descriptions of hard nipples and quivering feminine mounds.

• Depends if it's well written, or just some cheesy description.
    I get aroused, but I don't read books at all.

I think that was a stupid comment from a professional in that area. I mean he teaches creative writing, and he thinks that saying "they made love" is creative?
    Yeah sure.. might as well just take his license away..

That's the equivalent of "one thing led to another".
    Imagine a book like this: "A boy and a girl met, one thing led to another and they made love. Several times. The end.
    I imagine that he'd be thrilled by it *facepalm*

• I'm definitely a visual person, and when i read i like to picture what i'm reading. Kind of putting myself in the character's shoes, and if there was a sex/masturbation scene in there, i would get aroused by it. Erotica has definitely got my mind picturing graphic scenes when i read it. Definite yes for me :)

• I would tend to agree with him. As a guy, boring as hell. We need visuals or live in person. Not much for the imagination. Women on the other hand love it I'm sure as they don't need visuals and can let their minds picture all kinds of things and scenarios.

• I like it a lot, I really wish there was a market for trashy male audience targeted "Romance Novels" lol... I'd totally read them.

• In one of my favorite book series, the Kingkiller Chronicle,
    in the second book which is nearly a thousand pages, the protagonist meets with this faerie seductress and escapes with his life and shit but its basically a 60 page off and on sex scene.
    my Reaction is the fairly normal one.
    WHAT THE FUCK PATRICK ROTHFUSS

• I noticed a long time ago while reading that woman writers go way in depth with sex scene and male writers sum it up in as few words as possible. A middle ground would be nice. Reading a sex scene, writing by a woman, can be a bit hockey. And a sex scene, writing by a man, lacks any sort of depth. There are exceptions to this but that's something I've noticed.

• Annoyed.
    Why the f*ck does everything have to turn to sex these days?

• Having written a shitton of erotica myself I agree with your professor. More often than not it really is pretty boring.

• I try to put myself completely in the characters shoes when I read a book so when a sex scene comes up I get really turned on if it's written well.

• Weirded out.
    Someone describing sex in a book just makes me think the author was wanking themselves as they were writing it.
    It is gratuitous and unnecessary and I just view it as trashy writing.

• I love sex scenes in novels, it is all about imagination, and you can feel it deeper than when watching sex scene in movie or watching porn. That´s why literotica was created. He just.. I don´t know why it is boring for him.

• Nothing at all.. It's just a novel.

• If t is a rape scene , I will feel angry , but if it is a romantic scene , I will feel pleased.

• I feel bored but depending on how detailed it is I would get grossed out.

• Check my profile, probably this.. 😏

• D, you?

• Thankfully, none of the books I read include such things.

• depends on the amount of detail they put in.

• I image doing it.

• If I wanted erotica, I would be reading that, not a good story. Just put something like, "They made passionate love, falling asleep in each other's embrace." Or something like that. Unless there is something specific to the character's personality that will be shown, like bdsm or something that matters in the story. Don't have a sex scene just for the sake of having it.

• I tear those pages out of that dirty book.
    God will reward me.

What Girls Said 7

• I think the actual sex scenes can be boring, but the forplay leading up to and the after glow following can be extremely hot.

Young adult novels (the only difference between adult and young adult is the former doesn't have explicit sex scenes) can be some of the most steamy and arousing. Personally I like those books much better than any variety of porn

• A sex scene is arousing and pleasant for sure, but it is often a means to sell many book copies, and not very original. So I agree with your professor that very descriptive sex scenes don't add anything to the plot, inless you aim to write a smut. The buildup and the aftermath are what's more important, not how they hooked up.

• Pure speculation on my part . Many skillful and talented writers are know for
    expressing their ideas, using words to shape images feelings and thoughts,
    their story telling advancing the plot, portraying their characters
    that connect to readers. We can be drawn in by the most complex,
    fantazmic and controversial of ideas by their writing talents.
    But when it comes to love scenes they SEEM to fail capturing our senses.

Maybe that's not their fault, maybe it's our own fault because of how we lead
    our own lives: what we allow ourselves to be exposed to... how much sexual imagery
    is thrown at us by advertising, movies, music videos, video games, and other words
    and actions by pop icons like Miley, Beyonce, Pitbull, Eazy E., Bill Clinton and Trump.

Culture & Society, blah blah blah . (no need to go on and on)

• Depends on how the writer describes the scene. I have read some really terrible sex scenes and I have read some really great sex scenes.

• It depends how it's written and if it's just 'another romance novel' or a novel I really enjoy and have grown fond of the characters.
    But I agree, it can get super boring.

• aroused depending on the degree of interest i have in the characters

• It is a turn on