What are some issues you have with your parents?

1. They never accept their faults
2. They don't ask for my opinion
3. They believe that I'm wrong and they're right
4. They don't understand me (only people my age understand)
5. Sometimes they treat me like a child

What Girls Said 16

• 1. My parents point out all of my faults but don't accept their own

2. When my parents do accept their faults, it's kinda in an emotionally manipulative way like my mom will generally turn around after an argument and tell me that she's sorry I think she's such a shit mother and that I think I've had an awful life when I don't think those things and have never said them.

3. My parents have said and done a lot of shitty things over the years, such as my mother telling me that I'm a slut and a whore who has no regard for family or my father slapping me.

4. They're pretty racist and homophobic, sometimes they make sexist comments, and it does kinda suck that I'm not sure if I'll ever be open with them about my sexuality unless I have to.

5. Many of the things they've said about my partner and his mother and brother are awful and disrespectful (not that what he says isn't awful and disrespectful too, so it's not just them, but I will call them both out on it)

• The relationship with your parents honestly changes with age. In a few years these things won't matter and you'll find a new way to get along.
    I left home at 17 because my mum and I just couldn't get along. We would fight and scream and say horrible things - 6 months later she came to my apartment and we started rebuilding and these days she's one of my best friends.
    They won't be around forever so put up with them for now

• As of Now... All is Peaceful.
    In the Past, which sometimes was no Blast, Politics and Difference of Opinion on this and a younger Sniveling Sibling, added to the Tissue Issue Box, was a Sore Subject. xx

• 1) my mom chose alcohol over her kids
    2) she is a malignant narcissist who abused every one of us physically, and emotionally. i believe she abused my brother sexually, but i can't prove it.
    3) she told me to my face that "i would be wiping her @ss one day." she was very smug about it too.
    4) she never calls, texts, or comes to find out how i am even though i helped her to get a new car... enough said.
    5) she never wanted me to live my own life.

• 16d

Wow, abusing her son sexually?

• 16d

well. what happened was that they were sleeping in the same bed together even when he was 15. my mom has always been sexually strange with all her kids, but i suppose sleeping in the same bed together at that age might not be weird to everyone. i remember this fight they had before i moved out. i don't know everything that was said, but she was trying to do something with him and he smacked her with a shoe... it left a lot of questions, but i never asked him.

• - My Dad is too overprotective at times
    - My Mom takes role of tiger parent too often in my opinion
    - My Dad is too absent-minded. You tell him to do something and you have to remind him more than twice.
    - My Mom probes too much

• I think 1,2 and 3 would be most fitting

• We have different values.. or something like that
    What I find important, they don't (but not re things that are obviously bad for me. I mean normal things that doesn't harm me or others)

So that means that I don't get the support, which sucks

• 1. They annoy the crap out of me
    2. They act like I don't have a life half the time
    3. They can be strict yet not strict at the same time (I've spent 15 years trying to figure that one out)
    4. They are extremely opinionated
    5. They hover over me constantly

• 16d

They're annoying, everyone in a different way, My mom wants to choose everything instead of me and she never knock the door, my dad warns me a lot like i don't have a brain.

• 16d

lol, good luck

• They don't ask for my opinion on things that concern ME.

• The only issue I have is that sometimes my mother invades my privacy, both willingly and unwillingly. She is a detective, so I understand why sometimes she does it.

• 1. My mum never admits she was wrong/blame me a lot
    2. My mum takes her problems out on me if in a bad mood
    3. My dad doesn't make enough effort to be involved in my life

• None honestly

• 16d

I take that back. And I know this is trivial but... I don't care.

I hate how they take 15-20 minutes to leave the house. Seriously. We could be going to the store, pick up someone from the airport, visit a relative, shit, go to the freaking HOSPITAL and my parents are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

• 16d

Same here, specially my mom

• All they care about is education, nothing more and nothing less.
    They think they can make up for their emotional coldness and absence with money.
    My mom always agrees with my dad, 100% of the time. Even if she says yes to something, if my dad doesn't approve it's out of the question.
    Since they're both doctors, they dismiss every health issue I have, unless I'm like dying.

• -Too conservative/stifling

That's it

• Pity ! All of them my parents did it

• 1-4 for me.
    They never want to do anything
    They are obsessed with TV
    My dad is more immature than me.
    My dad befriends my friends and they literally hang out with him.
    My dad lives double lives and lies all the time
    My mom still goes around my brother even tho he is a sick disgusting pervert.

What Guys Said 6

• My dad smokes. I have become incredibly anti-smoking after years of being told how bad it is in elementary/middle/high school. I love my dad to death but if I see a cigarette in his hand or smell the smoke on his clothes it just grinds my gears.

Neither of my parents could understand my depression (dad literally said I just need to start thinking happier thoughts, Oh that made me mad). What's worse is my mother volunteers at suicide prevention fundraisers because my neighbors son commit suicide a few years back.

Come to think of it, they were pretty hands off when it came to all of my negative feelings. Walk it off was the most commonly used line whenever I physically hurt myself. I guess it made me stronger mentally but I would argue my lack of emotion in day to day life could actually be a weakness.

They would get made at me for spending 90% of my free time (not at school or soccer/basketball/lacrosse practice) playing video games with my friends (either online or lan). They wanted me to go out more and hang out with more people irl. I purposely didn't do that because my non gaming friends spent most of their time getting high, drunk, and having underage sex. Maybe it made me the antisocial person I am today but at least i'm not a parent/ in prison. Would I do it differently if I had the chance? Probably. Am I happy I did it the way I did? Close enough.

• 16d

I hate it when people who never had depression tell you to think happier and positive.

• 1. My mom tends to be lazy.
    2. My dad tends to be a hypocrite (like, he asks that we are clean and tidy and yet ignores the fact that he often isn't as such himself).
    3. They aren't instilling that much discipline in to my little brother - effectively leaving it to me (even though they deny it)

• I actually don't have any big issues with my parents. Still living with them, I of course get the typical frustrations of chores and such, but that's pretty much it. I very rarely argue with them, and always apologize after getting a little alone time to calm down.

• Man MAJOR lack of communication.
    Not understanding what my property is.
    They never believe me.

• I have learned to live with their faults. They have given me more then than I can ask for. Now it's my duty to care for them. They are super parents.

• Parents? What parents? Ahahaha..