How do I explain that I'm recovering from anorexia to my fiancés parents?

Now, I'm understanding that it mah be rude to not finish a plate of food in Chinese culture, and how it may be rude to seem as if I am not enjoying food, but I am recovering from anorexia and my future mother in law is always pushing for me to eat more during meals when I visit with my fiancé (recently proposed). I always try my best to accept food, but some days i still struggle and I feel rude by denying her offers. I was wondering if there is any way for me to describe my anorexia to her in a gentle way because I am embarrassed about it and I'm still in the process of learning Mandarin.

What Guys Said 2

• Damn, good choice in guys! In Chinese culture you don't finish your plate or it will always be refilled

• It's rude to not finish your food in any culture.

There are kids in Africa, who would die for just a scrap of meat.. think about what they don't have, and then what YOU have

What Girls Said 5

• Explain to her in Private, that you Went through some "Personal Issues" with some Dealings with your Body, you are fine Now But... The Doctor advises you to Go slow with each Bite, and if she Might be so Kind to let you go Easy for now. xx

• Maybe get your fiance to explain that to her because he probably knows how his parents think and he might know what method of communication is the most effective. I think they want you to eat - not because they want validation that their cooking and efforts are appreciated but because they think you would be healthier if you gained a little more weight. I don't know though - I wasn't there. Get your fiance to explain this to them - he knows them in a personal way while you might not have that yet.

• Just let her know you have a condition that means you can't eat much, I know you don't want to seem rude, but it would be more rude to let her see you not eating her food, than to let her know why you can't.

• 18d

You are right, I will try and sit down with her and my fiancé to explain things. You are right in not explaining seeming more rude. Thank you for your kindness ❤️

• This may not be the best answer, but if it were me I would probably have my fiance speak with his mother alone or with you. Being her son and that you don't speak the language as well I feel that he can communicate the situation more clearly.

• 18d

That is actually a very good idea! I think I may sit down with my fiancé and his mother and explain things through him, maybe say what I can in the words I know to attempt to try a little harder to show I am well meaning. Thank you for your words ❤️

• Just eat it. Not going to hurt you lol

• 18d

This is one of the most insensitive comments I have seen on here.

It's akin to telling a deppressed person to just be happy.

• 18d

@BaileyisDarcy I'm sorry. Just mean like I don't know