Does anyone have an update on the Dakota Access Pipeline?

The protesters are being treated like cattle because they don't want to drink water that will kill them. The UN is currently investigating because they believe it's a humans rights violation. I know something horrific happened to the protesters last night.

What Guys Said 19

• I wouldn't believe all the crap protesters feed you.

I've worked on many pipelines. From planning, construction, operations and decommissioning. For the most part, a pipeline is just a piece of metal in the ground. 99.99% of the time, the pipeline is operating perfectly fine and the contents of the pipe are largely irrelevant since it does not escape.

Pipelines are the favored transport method of liquid fuels because one can transport a lot more product faster. Pipelines are also the safest out of the options (safer than railcar or truck). You can move 1,000,000 barrels of oil per day via pipeline and if a leak occurs, it will likely happen in the middle of nowhere... meaning no deaths, and the oil can be cleaned fairly easily.

A pipeline leak is rarely going to be near populated places, and so the chance of contaminated water because a leak occurs within someone's property who uses groundwater is slim.

In contrast, to transport 1,000,000 barrels of oil via truck, you need to put about 90 fuel tanker trucks on the road every single day, travelling thousands of miles across the country to the refinery. Every accident involving a fuel truck will likely be in populated places, with a high risk of causing injury/death and the land contamination would be across the country in tanker loads, rather than consolidated in a single location (like a pipeline). Every truck accident causing a spill is going to contaminate an urban watershed.

• 17d

The protest is where the pipeline is to go under the Missouri River. If there is a breach it will not spill into land and be easy to contain and clean, but will contaminate the river itself. I cannot speak to the risks of pipeline breach, just pointing out that where the protest is being made is not open land.

• 16d

@Red_Arrow

There are always "what if" questions. Like what if a terrorist decided to bomb the pipeline.
      The reality is, there is no such thing as "no risk". There's a risk of an oil pipeline bursting, just like there is a risk of a water pipeline in your home bursting in the winter and flooding your home. It does not mean you build a house with no pipes.

Understanding that there is always some level of risk, the question is... how much of a risk is there? One can calculate the probability of a rupture based on the average leaks per pipeline length per unit time (e. g., 1 leak every 100 km every 5 years). It usually results in an excessively small probability that the event would occur at a river crossing. You're more likely to die from a lightning strike. Yes you'll die... but the probability is so low, it's not going to stop you from going outside.

But protesters focus on the worst case scenario at the worst location, given the worst spill volume, rather than the probability.

• I noticed you mentioned, ginny, that the corporation should just stop the pipeline. Then I have to ask you what is the safest way to transport the oil?

I know it's easy just to say, we'll stop using petroleum. However most people who say this don't realize just how much oil has shaped the modern world. Roughly about 50 to 60 percent of oil is uses for gasoline or kerosene. But 40 to 50 percent is used for a LOT of other things. If you feel that we should just give up using petroleum, then you're going to have to give up the very computer or cellphone you're using right now. The plastic components are made of petroleum products. The plastic components of every single household appliance you have has petroleum products. Nylon has petroleum products, thus much of the clothes we wear require oil. Dentures, tvs, antihistamines, aspirins, linoleum, shoe soles, glue, paints, dyes, garden hoses, deodorants, pillows, soaps, detergents, carpeting, catheters, syringes, toothpaste, prosthetic limbs, anesthetics, caulking, yarn, eyeglasses, radios, contact lenses, wet suits, ink, shampoo, refrigerators, and many many more things all have petroleum products. I don't mean they're powered by petroleum, they're made from petroleum. To say nothing of the machines which require lubricants made from petroleum.

I'd like to ask the Lakota people if they use any of the things I listed. The answer, as we all know, is absolutely yes. So if they have the moral courage to protest the pipeline, then they should attempt to propose a better way to transport the oil. Or if they have the moral courage to say we should not drill for oil, then they should have the moral courage to give up all the products I just listed (and the many more I didn't list). The same goes for anyone who says we should just stop using oil altogether.

• 17d

Well said.

• 17d

How do you know it will poison their water? If pipes leak that bad, I would have been dead along time ago. I live by chemical plant.

• 15d

A few years ago they found the largest oil reserves EVER discovered in Ector County, Texas. Larger than what is in North Dakota and Wyoming combined. They have been drilling there for 100 years, at little detriment to the environment, due to the fact that the local ecosystem there consists of red clay, dry desert sagebrush, extreme heat, sparse population, and an already contaminated water supply. I know because I live here. It's the complete opposite of beautiful North Dakota, which is rich in history, wildlife, sacred Native American landmarks, and breathtaking views.

• I live in Alberta Canada in one of the biggest oilfields in Canada and we have hundreds of thousands of kilometers of pipeline and they hardly ever leak and when they do 99% of the time it's caused by someone hitting it with something or improper welding and when proper ground disturbance training and proper welding is used and each weld is tested there are very few leaks

• Last I heard pipeline police hosed protesters in subfreezing temperatures causing hypothermia which resulted in several protesters being sent to the hospital. If it weren't for the DNC screwing over voters in the primary we'd have a chance of the government on the side of the protesters and not the corporations that own the pipeline.

i0.kym-cdn.com/.../eb6.jpg?1307463786

• tear gas, water cannons, less lethal ammo.
    The sad thing is that its not on directly on reservation land instead of just poisoning the watershed of it, then the Reservation police would actually be justified in unloading on those assholes harrasing protestors

• I believe that the police employed tear gas, rubber munitions and high pressure water hoses that lead to hypothermia.

• I don't see how having a pipe in the ground would make the water toxic. It is not like north Dakota doesn't have pipelines already.
    www.propublica.org/.../...ine_line_map-630x420.gif

• I haven't heard anything sorry it pisses me off though that they put what they did on reservation land my ancestors wouldn't stand for it.

• 17d

Last I heard, the United Nations are investigating this because they believe it's a human rights violation. I really wish obama would do more than just assess the situation and see how it plays out.

• 17d

Lol the UN is useless I wouldn't expect that much from them but in this case I hope they do something.

Lol Obama doesn't care about this, not anything he could really do anyway.

• If everything you know about this subject comes from media reports, you don't know the complete and unbiased story.

• I'm just gonna call it now, there will be a leak and it's going to fuck those people over. "oh but we have pipelines already and they are fine!" Yea, it's a pipeline like any other. So I'm calling it now, it's gonna happen lol. That's just how things work.

• I don't know, but I've been pissed about it ever since I heard it and those greedy assholes don't know what they are in for.

• 17d

There is a tiny glimpse of hope. I saw a news story that said if the protests don't stop, the corporation will stop construction.

• 17d

Then keep going!!! Keep protesting!!! Those idiots don't know what they are doing when they get greedy.

• They should be forced to divert the pipeline away from the water. Right now, they are operating illegally, given how close they are... but Obama isn't really enforcing the law

• No sorry 😔
    But the political climate looks to not be in their favor
    Let's just hope humanity triumphs greed

• The 'protesters' engaged in terrorist actions, And got handled with kids gloves.

• 17d

The corporation is the real terrorist. They shot the protesters with cold water and them go hypothermic.

• 17d

@Thisperson98
      How about we have to wean off oil in the first place.
      Its both economically and ecologically unsustainable in the long run.

• 17d

@Thisperson98
      Or are you one of the climate change deniers

• the BBC aren't even reporting this... i saw it on rt

• I dont get it whos forcing them to drink toxic water? Isn't the United States riddled with pipelines anyway? like isn't it the safest way there is to transport oil? Did all the protesters walk to the protest site or take a horse and cart?

• 17d

See my opinion

• 17d

Our water is already poisonous. Due to fracking and pipelines like these, we have methane in our water. It could be worse. The water could be so poisonous that it will kill us instantly instead of slowly. But it shouldn't be any worse. We are not a third world country. I'm pretty sure we can afford it if we gave all citizens clean drinking water. Just goes to show how corrupt politics. You really can't live off the grid for many reasons.

• progress makes the world go around. Build the damn thing

• 17d

This is sacred Native American burial grounds and they ruined their sacred cemetery. If Arlington National Cemetery was bulldozed tomorrow, the conservatives wouldn't shut up about it.

• 17d

yeah, like hands up dont shoot, right?

Oh, and by definition, facts are unbiased, einstein

• 17d

What the hell are you going on about now?

• 0|0
  • last i ready-they're going to California

What Girls Said 5

• Finally Going to Get ALL of our Resources that We have coming, instead of Depending on the Saudi's. Trump will make sure of it. He will See to it, all goes Fine down this Thin Line.
    The "Out of Control" EPA is Blowing this way out of Proportion. There are many of our own Pipelines throughout America that Go through Large Bodies of Water, and Anyone, hun, in Charge of this, such as Dapper Don, will Be Certain no one is "Poisoned."
    The Native Americans are Afraid, as well, of this Going through Sacred Grounds. With Trump in Charge, he will Probably Reroute it. xx

• 1|0
  • They're spraying them with water and causing them to become hypothermic. It's fucked up

• 17d

Then they shouldn't have got wet.

• 15d

You don't understand, if pipes leak this often, I would be dead by now, or there would be a state of emergency in my area.

• 15d

@Thisperson98 obviously Sherlock.

• I'm going to look into this, had no idea about this.

• Try TYT Politics on YouTube. Jordan covers it very well.

• 17d

TYTs are idiots. I hope you don't take what they are saying as facts.

• 16d

TYT politics is as bad as info wars.