Do you think the cast member of "Hamilton" who addressed Mike Pence at the end of the show was out of line?

For those who didn't hear about, VP-elect Mike Pence went to a production of the musical "Hamilton" in NYC recently. Some of the audience booed his presence, and at the end one of the cast spoke to the audience to the effect that he hoped Pence would be mindful of all Americans, noting the diverse cast.

Trump tweeted that the cast owed him (Pence) an apology for their rudeness. But as usual DT was in his own little reality - the audience booed, not the cast. And the impromptu speech at the curtain was not disrespectful - Pence said afterward he wasn't offended.

• Yes - it was rude to impinge on their night-out with politics.
  • No - he brought up legitimate concerns about the incoming administration
  • I know nothing about this.

What Girls Said 9

• I don't think it was really out of line. They didn't tell him they thought he was an arsehole or whatever, they very calmly and very politely expressed their concern and were pretty dignified about it. The audience was kinda disrespectful but the cast wasn't.

• 13d

" They didn't tell him they thought he was an arsehole or whatever"

Uh.. ya they did.
      "We sir, we are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us, our planet, out children, our parents or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights, sir."

That is one SERIOUS accusations and 100% false! Way waaaay worse to accuse VP elect of that then to simply call him an asshole.

• 13d

@cipher42 So when I say it its implication but when some one else says it its not? That is illogical. They are implying that he is going to remove their rights yet at no point did they ever even suggest let alone state that this was going to be the case. In fact part of their platform was stating that they where going to represent all americans not just a few, unlike what liberals had been doing. That's why trump got record numbers of blacks and Hispanics for a conservative candidate, because at no point did they do anything to suggest they where racist. Your claim is kind of absurd as your insulting the person then using your insults as justification for your insults. Its circular. How do you know he is a racist? because liberals say he is. why do liberals say he is a racist? Because he is a racist. Its circular, you need to believe he is a racist to justify the behavior but the behavior then is used to justify the belief all of which ignores his own words and actions.

• 13d

No? "stop being x" means whoever you're talking to is already X. "we are concerned that you will be X" is expressing a worry about a future action. Learn to read maybe? They're not saying he's going to, they're expressing concern that he might.

• He's about to be our vice president, under extremely controversial circumstances. If he wants to hide from that reality he should stay at home. The audience was rude, but the cast was not, and a performance with a political theme seems like a perfectly appropriate opportunity to make a statement and start a conversation. If he doesn't want to deal with political conversations and hearing from citizens then he has no business leading for our country.

• 13d

" under extremely controversial circumstances."

Like what, specifically? The cast accused him of being a tyrant that wouldn't uphold the constitution, that is 100% false and insanely rude.

• 13d

And why is a huge part of the population riveted with terror? Because liberals made baseless accusations in order to win over voters. Your the ones who dressed them up as monsters and now your scared of them? Thats absurd. At every turn he stated he was interested in bettering america and being a president of all American people instead of just some (which is exactly what liberals have been doing). He stated outright that he was not racist when liberals accused him of being racist, and then when he tried to prove it he was accused of using blacks and hispanics as "tokens" thus some how "proving" he was racist. This is the liberals falt plain and simple, they set him up to fail and used everything they had to slander his name. Now they are acting like they are the victims? Thtas just insance. He also stated he would defend the rights of the LGBTQ community and then when applauded stated he was proud that the republicans have grown so much to accept the community and their rights.

• 7d

@Jager66 A political career of protecting our planet? I don't think so.

• I feel like Steven Van Zandt:
    It was the most respectful, benign form of bullying ever. But bullying nonetheless. And by the way, human rights must be won, not asked for. https://t.co/JfN4yjq8jM
    — Stevie Van Zandt (@StevieVanZandt) November 19, 2016

• 13d

If that was bullying then the SJWs must officially handle their "most whiny people on Earth" trophy to the Trump/Pence camp...

• 13d

Not being political and not saying things carefully means not spinning. Unless perhaps you and I have different definitions of spinning (provide yours, perhaps?) in which case you prior statements were still incorrect since as I've stated, Trump very much does say things carefully and does base his words and actions on politics.

• 13d

@cipher42 I just wrote a MY TAKE about Thanksgiving! I can longer debate this issue with you, it will be never ending. I am truly over politics since this election. The only way to stop the rhetoric is for people like you and I to stop debating. I don't wish to discuss this any longer, not because I can't, but simply because it is the time of year, where things are more important to me than this! Best of Luck!

• Hell no. The guy was super duper polite and respectful, never even said anything bad about Trump or Pence directly, and generally just didn't do anything worth reprimanding as far as I see it.

• Funny that you added a poll option that basically implies politics and theater shouldn't be mixed. I totally disagree. That's exactly the sort of place where topics like that could be brought up, even if it's not a part of the show. I don't think the cast were out of line. Maybe the audience was but I think the cast handled it respectfully.

• Was it disrespectful?
    No. Cast delivery was respectful. Audience was not.

Was it out of line?
    Yes, only if for the venue. It was very preachy. Entertainers really have no business shoving politics down people's throats in the middle of their job. Sure, it was technically said after the performance. But actors normally use post-performance time for advertising the play and its products. So that time would still fall under the job duties. Also, Hamilton cost... at least $400/ticket. If I paid that much I'd be annoyed that my night of entertainment was negatively impacted by politics.

But did it bother Mike Pence?
    No. He's a big boy who's had pretty much everything thrown at him during the campaign. He handled it well. I guess that's what matters the most.

• 13d

Okay, the entirety of Hamilton is politics. Plenty of liberal politics no less, with tons of commentary specifically about racism. If the guy didn't want a lecture about bigotry, maybe he shouldn't have seen the show in the first place.

• 13d

@cipher42 - the play itself doesn't necessarily represent an actor's personal views. this is obviously a topic we'll just have agree to disagree on. i wasn't expecting 16 notifications in my inbox just for this.

• 13d

@springocelot: Yes, it definitely does. Hamilton was written by Lin Manuel Miranda with very intentional pro-immigrant and anti-racism themes. He himself has confirmed that.

• I think it wa inappropriate for the environment it was in, but i dont think he owes an apology because it was all done respectfully and Mike Pence is a big boy and he can handle himself, if he can't he shouldn't be VP.

• 13d

What environment exactly? A political musical about the founding fathers with heavy anti-racism themes?

• 13d

Inappropriate means it's not suitable or proper considering the circumstances. I think the nature of Hamilton and the nature of Pence makes the circumstances entirely proper.

• 13d

@cipher42 ok, thats fine, we can agree to disagree, i have no issue with that

• It's a political musical about the founding fathers, obviously they can talk about the future presidents.

• No not at all... it's a Political Musical about founding fathers so it fits in surprisingly well. it was done pretty respectfully as well.

What Guys Said 14

• please consider representing all americans was essentially their message. i don't see how there is anything wrong with that. they had a chance to directly address a person of great power, they used that chance to convey a message of love and inclusion.

• I think he was out of line, first and foremost because the only reason why he has "concerns" is because the media actively fabricated or distorted comments made by trump and pence plus they did not do their research at all before making accusations. Its kind of like if people called out Obama when he first entered office because they where concerned he would not represent white people. It would be deemed racist and improper (and it would have been) yet that is exactly what they did. Furthermore Pence was their as an individual, he was merely another attendee, one who paid good money to be their only to be publically accused of being essentially a racist/bigot (though stated much more indirectly). It was grossly inappropriate. You don't have to like the guy, you can disagree with him but publically attacking him when he is minding his own business and has not done anything wrong (again he isn't even in office yet and already being accused of atrocities) only to be called out publically at such a time was tastless and itself bigoted.

• 14d

Attacking him? Quote which part of what the guy said you're talking about there. Funny that you say that Trump/Pence's racist/homophobic/sexist remarks are distorted or fabricated and then make such a big deal of a guy very politely asking the Trump administration to not discriminate.

• 6d

I actually do. I'm fine with differences in opinion, provided the difference in opinion isn't an issue of bigotry. Like religion. I'm not religious, but I'm sure as fuck not okay with atheists shitting all over religious people because they think they're somehow intellectually superior.

That aside, I'd like to note that you're still not actually responding to my argument. You're still using idiotic distraction tactics in what really appears to be an attempt to get out of responding to an argument you don't have a response to. So excuse me if I don't take you seriously, but you really give me no reason to.

• 5d

@cipher42 I did respond to your argument, multiple times in fact. If you make a statement stating that some one should not do something, that is they specifically should not behave in a certain way, calling them out in public and telling them that you are afraid they will act in a way that is entirely accepted by society as a whole to be unacceptable and inappropriate, then you are accusing that person of having the intent to do those things. Thats not complicated and if you can't figure that out then I'm sorry but something is wrong with you. Your simply trying to justify your own bigotry. The fact is their is no reason to assume anything that they accused him and trump of. None. So yes he accused him of wrong doing or having the intent to do wrong whith out justification and therefore it was inappropriate.

• It seemed totally fine to me.

If you can't handle this kind of thing, then you really have no business running the country.

• 1st amandment

images.slideplayer.com/.../slide_16.jpg

If Pence can't live with it he's a wussy.

• 13d

Okay I agree with the general position here but not the reasoning and I kinda feel like I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't point that out. The first amendment isn't really at issue here (unless you wanna say that bc conservatives use that argument so much then it's hypocritical for them to not use it here). We're talking about whether what the dude said was appropriate, not whether it was legal.

• 13d

Politicians should have learned from Lincoln that a theater can be a dangerous place for them.

• 13d

Lol true. Ugh, there was a great quote I saw where someone was trying to say that what happened to Pence at Hamilton was the worst thing to ever happen to a politician at a public performance. Like... no. definitely not.

• It was rude. Funny it was Hamilton who created the electoral college xD
    It's also funny that a dude says it's ok to rape for black men to rape white women, is lecturing Mike Pence... xD

• No, it was protected by free speech. It was also relevant given that it was a Broadway show with gay actors in it and gay audience members, even if it wasn't relevant a VP should be able to handle it.

You don't get to say a group of people should get electrocuted and then call "rude" when the people you were talking about want to have a polite conversation with you about it at a time that slightly inconveniences you.

• It wasn't out of line.
    Whats the difference between Dung beetle and Mike Pence,
    One's the lowest of the low who thrives on the filth of others, AND THE OTHER IS A BEETLE

• They used honeyed words to accuse the VP elect of being a racist, sexist, homophobic tyrant, like say Hitler/Stal etc.. They are supposed to be putting on a play not lecturing politicians about nonsense.

• 13d

They literally politely expressed concerns that he wouldn't protect them. After all the massively homophobic/racist/sexist stuff Pence and Trump have said, that concern was absolutely warranted.

• 13d

@cipher42 What seems to have happened is that since the man who said it was very eloquent, he is after all a master stage performer, people are looking past the content of what he said.

• 13d

I've seen the quote, thanks. The quote is exactly what I said it was. And holy shit is it hilarious that conservatives accuse liberals of twisting people's words and blowing things out of proportion when that's exactly what you're doing here. "You won't protect us" is an accusation. "I'm anxious that you won't protect us and ask that you will." Is an expression of concern and a request. The fact that you don't see that when it's so clearly laid out in front of you is absolutely incredible.

• They have a right to be worried and voice their fears. Pense has already said it wasn't a big deal and I argue that his opinion matters the most on this subject.

• No but they were at fault in my mind to bring up politics. Everything is political now. Its retarded. People can't go to theater without getting political crap forced down their throats. Nobody paid for a guy giving a political speech, they paid for theater.

• 13d

Okay buddy, were you unaware that the musical, which happens to be entitled Hamilton and deals with the founding of our country, is political? Like, 90% of that musical is a fucking political speech.

• 13d

Sure kidboy, you go ahead and believe that.

• 13d

Only sphincters call other people 'cucks'

• Oh yes big time

• Was it out of line and disrespectful? Yes
    Am I fine with it? Yes

• It was very preachy and this is one of the reasons celebrity star power such as Alec Baldwin has enjoyed his fading. Just entertain us thats what we paid for and have manners

• 13d

Did you miss the part where Hamilton is a heavily political musical that specifically included themes of inclusion and anti-racism? Like, politics is absolutely what you're paying for when you see Hamilton, and if you have a problem with that then don't see the damn musical.

• I think they just wanted to exercise their freedom of speech.