Do you support or oppose the Dakota Access Pipeline?

I'm definitely against it.

• Support
  • Oppose
  • Indifferent
  • Undecided

What Guys Said 30

• It sucks the pipeline needs to be driven through prime pristine land like that. It sucks the pipeline must go through native territory or any other territory wether it is native or not. I'm sorry but they are people just like us and their land is not more or less important than anywhere else. Nobody wants a oil pipeline in their backyard no matter if you're native or not it doesn't matter. It also sucks that oil must be transported by boat and cause oil spills in the ocean. It sucks when trains derail and cause another oil spill or by truck.

• 16d

No matter what oil spills are devastating and it should never happen on native land or any other land. It's not a native or non native land problem. The problem is the world runs on oil with never enough research in alternative energies. We need that oil right now at this point in time to stock up the grocery stores, to get people to work, to feed our enormous consumption worldwide. The reliance on oil is staggering everywhere. In the meantime the world needs to keep turning and that oil needs to keep flowing to keep people working and also to help produce a market for investing in alternative energies. The world needs it so i would rather see a pipeline than oil transported by train or boat. Maybe what we should fight for is a extra pipe around the actual oil pipe so spills are detected and never released into the environment. EVER

• Support. Oil is needed to fuel our economy, it's a fact of life. Pipelines are a more cost efficient way of moving oil. The alternative would be by trucks, rail, and sea.

• 16d

Or we could look into alternate sources of energy.

• 14d

@lericah True, but those alternatives realistically couldn't replace oil or natural gas in a day. I don't think there will ever be "zero" production or consumption of oil. Oil is a critical strategic resource that helps power modern day economies.

• 14d

But I agree, reducing consumption is a good thing overall, and actually saves us from wasting oil based products needlessly.

• I live in Nebraska and we had to deal with the Keystone XL being built across the Sandhills, which is really dangerous.

Part of me wonders if American oil could fuel a smooth leap too renewables that would solve a lot of our problems. Before the election I didn't have a lot of faith that with either outcome this would happen but now I have no faith it would happen.

As a result I think the only thing we can do is cripple the US crude oil market and use the instability to push us to renewable sources. It's what we should have done with the banks.

• 16d

If the US oil market is crippled, are whole economy would be crippled.

• 15d

@Thisperson98 the overwhelming majority (95+%) of fossil fuel powerplants use coal or gas. This pipeline will only carry oil. The market price is threateningly low already from the OPEC-Saudis fiasco so at best this makes American oil a bit more competitive, your power plant example is categorically wrong and if you bring up cars then your no longer worth my time, Im sorry to say.

• 15d

@Thisperson98 Oh and as for Renewable sources Geothermal, Wind, and Solar have a lot of efficiency to them, that's not even considering other sources like wave energy. There are currently many countries and US states running on 40-99% renewable energy. American Samoa has 99% of it's energy needs met by a Solar City program based on Solar power and Tesla Battery Walls that ensures American Samoa can go for 3 full days with no sunlight (unlikely). Solar City recently released a brand of solar panel roofing tiles that look like traditional roofing tiles but could power the needs of an entire house hold. This is all based an meager subsidies by the US government which are dwafed by the subsidies to Large Oil companies, the majority of which do not go to small business' .

• While I recognize the necessity of oil in our country for the moment - although I hope that we soon invest in a cleaner, renewable energy source - I oppose the pipeline because of the 1st Amendment. The way I see it is that we are violating the religious rights of Native Americans since that land is sacred according to their beliefs. It would be like running a pipeline through the Vatican or Mecca.

• I support it. The project has already started and is going on very well. There is a minor problem where the land of the Indigineous Tribes will need to be protected because they respect their holy land and don't want any interference. So the pipeline needs to be diverted outside of this region to take their problems into consideration.

• 16d

hmm, saw a news story yesterday that said the pipeline doesn't run through the reservation and that all of the easements were voluntary, on private property around the reservation and that most land owners were members of the Sioux tribe that is protesting.

• 16d

@Izumiblu Yes , the Members of the sioux tribe are protesting. I was taking interest in this subject because my facebook friend was vigorously campaigning for this cause. She was actually opposing this pipeline. But I suggested that a solution should be found so that the pipeline can be completed without making the sioux tribe unhappy. Because they had bought all tribes of the world to highlight their cause.

• Against, i study the oil market.
    Currently, the US has a massive surplus of oil, OPEC will never agree on jack. Iran, russia and saudi's hate each other that is not going to change. There is zero need for this pipeline, these people on here being for it are so misinformed and are most definitely touting their fedoras and neckbeards. It causes more danger to the area's river systems, the water supply, and violates the rights of native people.

• Definitely oppose it along with all the police protecting the pipeline. Don't count on Trump doing anything about the pipeline as he has financial ties to the pipeline.

The DNC sabotaged our chances in the primaries of getting rid of the Dakota Access Pipeline.

• 16d

What is so wrong with the pipeline?

• 15d

Seeing what the police are doing reminds me of The Battle of Blair Mountain. Its far from the same thing but its still interesting to think about.

• 3.7billion$ is that profitable?
    As a UK citizen £1.15 per liter id say your fuel is cheap already though cheap fuel is nice higher prices in that area would persuade pepole to get more efficient cars and help electric vehicles develop and let the current reserves last longer.

• We have better fuel sources at our disposal. There's no need for a pipeline, for starters.

Second, it's on native land. They don't own the rights to that land. They're illegally invading and seizing land.

Third, the treatment of the protesters are barbaric.

• i heard it was going to hover over nazi territory and would only spill if a fire needed to be put out somewhere...

god i love this site... why go to other sites when i can sit here and watch with chips and cookies lol.../sarcsm chips and cookies are a lie ;)

• I support it. People don't understand that it is actually better for the environment than using trucks or rails.

• Against! Besides the fact that we're violating treaties that have been in effect since 1835, there's absolutely no need for the pipeline, there is already a viable means of transporting the oil. We don't need another pipeline spoiling the countryside and/or potentially ruining the environment.

• undecided

• They should try to re-route it to keep the reserves happy, but I'm for it. Pipelines are generally safer than rail, truck or ship transport.

• 16d

But without the pipeline we would have an incentive to turn to alternate fuel sources (and rightfully so).

• 16d

I think those protesters have a much lower carbon footprint than the average person. We spend 5 billion on alternative energy but we spend almost 600 billion on our military so obviously we should be putting more into alternative fuel sources.

• 15d

Unfortunately no matter what they have to go over or below the river which is at the crux of the issue. Personally this would be a blocked instantly if they were trying to cross near a suburb or some big city, which is kind of sad. Statistically a pipeline is safer and the oil will come no matter by what means so I think the pipeline is a good idea. I'm not a local so I don't have skin in the game but I think the developer needs to find a crossing of least impact, put emergency counter-measures in place, be taxed and have those taxes diverted to renewable subsidies, and finally be charged a huge fine on a per-gallon/impact basis that directly benefits the local county.

• I'm against pipelines and fossil fuels. It's time to more forward and use 21st century technology to better our lives, for us and the environment. There's too much potential for something to go wrong; just a man-made disaster waiting to happen.

• 16d

21st century technology is not advanced enough to come close to replacing oil. Only thing that could come close is nuclear power, but the government stopped issuing permits for it.

• 15d

@Thisperson98 I know it's not your natural impulse but please read the sources before typing. Even just reading the URL you can tell that the shingles cost less then a traditional roof. I personally think Elon Musk is boasting but I wouldn't be surprised if the cost is close to the cost of a traditional roof. I think the efficency of the tiles is enough to make then worthwhile on a 3-5 year depreciation.

• 15d

@Tony1974 I would agree with you that attempts are being made to suppress it but it's far from some grand conspiracy that Big Oil is succeeding at. I'm personally surprised that our Fossil Fuel subsidies dwarf our renewable subsidies but we are still succeeding despite that. Fossil Fuel companies are in the same place that Tobacco companies were in the 70's

• Why are you against it?

• running oil pipelines through peoples' water supply is fine... not like they're rich white folks anyway... right Trump fans?

• 16d

They aren't running them through the water supply. But, where I live there is a chemical plant connected to our water supply and the water is fine.

• 15d

@Thisperson98 directly? first try explaining what kind of chemical plant and how it operates because chemicals are combinations of atoms like H2O. While it's true they are running it below the bed of the river that makes it a potential hazard not only to ground water but to the river itself in the event of a rupture. It also makes it a lot trickier to fix.

In Nebraska we are still dealing with attempts to extend the Keystone over the Sandhills. Keystone has had leaks as recently as April in South Dakota where it lost over 18,000 gallons. The concern is the Sandhills are very porous and lay on top of the Ogollala Aquifer which provides most of the irrigation water to the state.

• I support it.

• I am vehemently against it.

• Definitely oppose.

• Oppose

• Support it, however it's controversial for sure.

• I strongly support it, I stand with oil and gas!

• OIL and COAL... Let's turn back the clock to the GOOD old days, and make America GREAT again... by bringing back TRADITIONAL values

• 11d

yep. I miss those good old days when rivers just burst into flames on their own.. When no one worried about a mountain of coal ash sliding into a river. When you could see the air you breath. And taste it. Why does Beijing get to have all the fun?

I miss those good old days because they were... they were just so good. I miss the coughing and the danger signs posted on the riverbanks. I miss the smoke.

Not to worry though. Our hero DJ Trump is president now. He is smarter than all those milquetoast scientists who did nothing worthwhile with their lives except earn PHDs. I still can't believe those stupid scientists thought that climate change was anything more than a hoax made up by China!

But our orange Caesar set those stupid heads straight. And he is going to make us great... AGAIN. Pollution, denuded mountain tops, dead rivers... all of it. AGAIN!

I can't wait.

• Undecided

• If you work in the oil business, like my cousins and uncle do, you're for it

• I recently heard thst mr. T and his partners invested some $$ in it

• Time for the government to drop the kid gloves and stop the protests.

• They still couldn't stop the construction of the pipeline the last I've checked. They tried hard and yet it doesn't look like it would make much of a difference now. When it comes to money and oil, it always seems like it is more important than anything else. Greedy inconsiderate fuckers.

• We should give the natives time to dig up and move their buried to another place.

What Girls Said 1

• Anything that can help us gain energy independance from the middle east i'm for. Not to mention US jobs. But I honestly dont know enough of all the details

• 15d

The sad part is, 60% of oil is American and a huge chunk is Canadian. The thing is, you can't make mone domestically, so like everything, if you have a reseource, you sell to other countries to make money and profit. Not saying it's right or wrong what we're doing cause I oversimplified the macro and international economics, and some micro principles, but we could easily drive down and regulate our own oil and not be Middle East defendant on foreign oil if we actually felt like it... but like I said, money

• 15d

@Other_Tommy_Wiseau one of the biggest problems currently is that our oil cost more to get out of the ground than Saudi oil. Over time those costs will drop to make it more competitive.

• 15d

Like I said, the economics is more complicated than I made it. While it's cheaper to drill out of Saudi Arabia, we also, again, sell most of our own oil. Meaning, we can drive up the costs on top of us being relatively expensive to export to other countries