Can you get back an item that you flushed down in the toilet?

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• There might be a slight chance, but not much of one. If it's something heavy/dense it might not be pushed too far, or might even be in the trap. Or if it's too big to flush it could get caught. Also, if you have a septic system, it could maybe be gotten.

It also depends on your sewer system and where the piping is. For example I have a basement and the waste line run under it. It has a clean-out just before it leaves the house. So I not only have access further along, but the item would have further to travel with a better chance it hasn't traveled that far yet.

I'd call a local plumber and ask about it. In the meantime, don't use any water at all. All water goes through the same waste lines, which will push it further down. So just washing your hands will push it along.

It it's REALLY valuable, it might be possible to get even if it's in the city sewer. I have no idea if they would do that or not, and you'd probably have to pay them. The sanitation engineers have little cameras they can send down. That's how they find clogs in the sewers system, find roots, find breaks, etc.

If it's really valuable, call a plumber ASAP, and do NOT run any water down the drain. I'm not trying to get your hopes up, because the odds of getting it are slim, depending on what it is.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 4

• uh. well if you have a septic system in your yard then when you have your system pumped you could potentially get it back... but i don't know that you'd want it back or what condition it would be in

if you don't have a septic tank then the item is off into the public utilities system and most likely lost forever

• Chances are around the 0% of that happening.

• Unfortunately, the answer is no.

• You dont why you flush