Who would you consider to be the greatest 'leader' in history?

What Girls Said 2

• Genghis Khan certainly did a good job of leading the Mongols.

• Hitler. I DO NOT agree with what he did by any means but he sure had a lot of people behind him whether it was because they believed in what he was doing or out of fear.

• 16d

Is someone who controls by fear actually a _leader_?

• 16d

@JenSCDC why wouldn't he be? Even though people were terrified by him and what he would do to them they still were led by him.
      Machiavelli asked If it was better to be feared or loved as a ruler in the renaissance so this isn't a new concept. obviously, if a ruler/leader/whatever is loved by the masses chances of coup are less and things will run smoothly and people will be happy but still fear is an effective way to lead people. Fear if they're caught planning to overthrow, fear that the next leader could be worse, fear of what outside enemies might do. Leaders that rule with fear make you believed he's your best choice. So yeah I think he'd be considered a leader.

What Guys Said 11

• Definitely Genghis Khan, he had the greatest empire of all times.
    Compared to Mongol empire, Roman empire was quite small ;)

www.pgsca.org/.../MongolEmpire%20vs%20Romans.2.jpg

• That's a tough one. Julius Caesar, Alexander the Great, Genghis Khan, Adolf Hitler, Napoleon Bonaparte...

• Lord Nelson and Wellesley never lost a battle when in command. Probably the best commanders of their time.

• 17d

I may add that Nelson never even lost a ship under his command (during battles) as far as I know.

I'd say Nelson was the most effective Admiral in naval history (an aspect of military history that often gets overlooked when talking about military leaders).

• Josip Broz Tito. He had a country like nobody else and some actors and musicians that were oopular in his time were literally the greatest and best actors/musicians (yes better than all American and Brittish ones, just less famous). Tito managed to unite three nations who always hated each other and people were happy. After he died and Yugoslavia fell apart, all of its former countries got fucked up and now they can't even come close to what SFRJ once was

• 16d

A ruler is not the same thing as a leader.

• 16d

@JenSCDC you can't say he wasn't a leader. he motivated millions of people to rebuild the country after WW2. Young people worked on it for free and they were happy. Everybody loved and respected him, just like everybody cried when he died. Songs were written about him, people would stand and watch his train go by out of respect for him. He was a true leader and an inspiration

• None.. I support free speech and glad we live in a republic instead of a democracy!

• maybe ghandi, his pacifism made me sick but he seems to be one of the most pro liberty anti-state leader dudes that I know of. there are way lesser known people that I like though, like larken rose

• Hillary Clinton. . . . oh, wait...

• Mustafa Kemal Ataturk.. he fought against 5-6 countries and kicked them out from our lands.

• Hun attila

• George Washington

• Hitler and Trump. My two idols