If someone is completely unwilling to donate an Organ should they be allowed to recieve transplants?

I honestly can't decide whether they should or not

• Yes
  • No
  • Undecided

Most Helpful Girl

• I say no, and I'd also like to share a personal story. My sister's father-in-law is getting a life saving liver transplant, and I'm very upset about it. Why? Because he's lapsed in recovery from alcoholism twice in the past year. The term for former addicts to get a transplant is only 6 months sobriety in certain states and I do not agree with such a short term, especially when they did this to themselves.

• 10d

Alcoholism is a disease. Refusing an alcoholic a liver is like refusing a cystic fibrosis patient lungs. Don't let whatever you have against that man mess with your judgment..

• 10d

No, not even they just stay sober long enough to get the transplant and go right back to drinking. Which is exactly what he did. I think the 2 years required by other states is much more acceptable, because having to wait that long shows a true commitment to sobriety, as opposed to a fear of death.
      Look, when someone you love is in need of a life saving procedure, and has to wait longer because an addict who wrecked their own body has a shorter life term, maybe you'll change your opinion. Until then, agree to disagree.

• 10d

Medicine is not about emotions. It's about facts.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah, but people who are organ doners should be able to specify whether or not they want their organs given to someone who isn't an organ doner.

What Girls Said 16

• This is similar to the blood thing. I donate blood, and thankfully it's pretty common. However, how fair is it that I'm sacrificing my blood and time for people who won't do the same for me? And I'm not talking about people with diseases/disorders who can't give, but just some average Joe and Jane who simply refuse. It's like a nice civic thing to do, why not? And with donating organs... why do people who would NEVER donate their organs get that organ?

At the end of the day, I still will donate bc it's the good thing to do, and I don't need it after death/can make more blood.

But I wish people who are willing to donate would be placed higher on the list.

• I used to donate blood. I'm no longer allowed because I get really unwell afterwards (I'm anaemic so it literally knocks me off my feet for a while) and I'm registered on the organ donor list. I think it's a touchy area. In my heart of hearts I believe do unto others as you would want done unto you but I know we don't live in a world like that. Some people are selfish. I think organ donation should be mandatory unless you go through so ridiculous system to get out of it. That would deter people from not giving.

• In the eyes of a doctor everyone is equal. It doesn't matter if that person don't want to donate for his own reasons. And to all those hypocrites over here.. I bet you don't donate blood twice a year, and you'll definitely want a beautiful ceremony at your funeral so you wouldn't donate any internal organs, and definitely not your skin or your eyes. Most of you don't even donate your hair so stop with this hypocrisy.

• 10d

No, I don't donate blood and I kinda think that I should be left to bleed out.
      I keep pushing myself to donate blood but needles make me nervous

• 10d

If you feel really really bad with needles it's ok if you don't donate. Just think that it might save a life. What's worth more than that. I don't think you should be left to bleed to death, that childish (except if it's part of your religion)

• 10d

Its not like I've got a phobia of them,
      I get vaccines but everytime I get them I getnervous the day before

• Another interesting question is whether a person's default status should be a donor, and that to not be donor they'd have to actively opt out of being one.

• 10d

Belgium has had that system for years now and they actually have too many organs. My country has recently changed to it as well.

• Im of the opinion that people that aren't willing to donate should be deprioritized in receiving donations. Not willing to contribute? Fine, you should also say, not willing to receive.

• 10d

I think the same and while I don't donate blood, i'm not a hypocrite and I kinda do think that in a dangerous situation I should kinda be left to bleed out.
      I don't donate because needles make me nervous

• 10d

Ahh, see there is a blood shortage against a storage/capacity goal. People are never lost to a lack of blood supply unless they are not near a medical facility. People are lost all the time because an organ could not be found.

• 10d

a pint of blood from you will not be the difference of life and death for another person, but your lungs or heart or liver might well be.

• Do you mean someone alive not wanting to donate an organ? Most organ transplants come from dead organ doners anyways.

• Oooo, good question, I have to think about that.

• I think they should be lower on the receiving list than someone who was willing to donate.
    Why should they benefit from something they wouldn't be willing to give? Same with blood, plasma and bone marrow, not enough people donate for what is needed

• I never got why people are against organ donation. There's literally no pros or cons to ut.

• Interesting question

• Donating organs should become normalised. But killing people for not doing it is a pretty bold move.

• It's a business.

• Yes... because I think their opinion would change if they were given the gift of life from a donor..

• I can't really decide on this either.
    Maybe when you go to tick yes or no to being an organ donor, it should just say that if you choose not to be an organ donor, your chances of receiving one should you need it, are quite low. Not non-existent, but just lower than if you were a donor yourself.

It is pretty hypocritical though.

• This opinion
    "Yes... because I think their opinion would change if they were given the gift of life from a donor"
    Is so so right.

I started donating blood as soon as I was of legal age to, just because my mother's life was saved by a blood donor. If somebody gets an organ, you've probably converted an entire family on it, and got a bunch of new donors.

• Yes, because for me it's a personal choice. People who give organs it's their descicion they do it for saving people people who don't have for a lot religious reasons. And eve, if it's another why shouldn't we save them just because of that. I wouldn't give any of my organs because I want to be in the ground with all the part of my body. I can't imagine RIP if I don't have my full body.

What Guys Said 12

• Yes besides how does that make us any better then them by lowering ourselves to that level? They won't donate an organ so what? we deny them let them die and then we have their blood on our hands, making us the very thing that we were fighting agaisnt in the first place, them.

We live in a world and nation of free choice a person is born with the right to make their own decisions for better or for worse.

Just like you can make the choice to deny someone your organ but if they die because of that choice you have their blood on your hands for the rest of life, is it really worth it just to make a point?

• Absolutely not. Just because they're unwilling to donate, doesn't mean they should be prevented from receiving one.

• I dont want to donate any. And i also do not want to receive any.

• To the people saying that they should be placed lower on the list: that's basically the same as same they shouldn't get the organ at all since there is a perpetually higher demand than supply of donor organs.

• i think it should be more expensive for them maybe... i mean just letting them die is against the Hippocratic Oath.

• Yeah. Why not?

• 10d

I guess some might say that being unwilling to do the same for others.
      Being unable but willing is okay though

• 10d

Receiving organs isn't the same as giving them. Seems stupid for someone to have to be able to give 1 just because they accepted 1. If you know you have to receive an organ in order to survive, seems fucked for the hospital to, then, turn around and expect to give a lung when they want it. Some people don't ask to receive and some people feel the need to give. Not the individual's fault if they don't want to give. Moreover, some blood types are more compatible than others nor in as high demand

• An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind but that's still so tough. I don't know

• I think they should be lower on the list same if there a divorce lawyer in the states.

• it is rather a choice to donate an organ or not. Shouldn't be punished for that

• 10d

Do you mean decide to become an organ donor in general or to decide to donate a kidney?

• there are more generous people out there than those who are not. with that attitude, why dont we just kill those people now, why wait or waste time with them? why allow them to waste resources or use anything else precious?

• Yes. That's like saying that those who don't donate to St. Jude don't deserve to have their children cared for by them.

• We can now grow many fully functional organs in laboratories. We can use this way to make organs available at affordable prices for the people.