Am I wrong not to be as active on social media as my friends?

I feel pressured by them is the thing. I'm 19 years old, and I only have a FB and an email. I joined this because I wanted to ask this question, and it was recommended in my search of sites.

Anyways, my bff is on Insta. she has hundreds of people following her, knowing what she's up to every day in her life. She shares too much in my opinion, but that's her choice. She's active on fb too, and has twitter, tumblr, a tinder account and like 3 email accounts. I just don't understand what the point to social media and letting basically the whole world into your life like she does. She wants me to make an Insta, a tumblr and a tinder account so I can find guys, but I'm nothing like her. I don't want to make those accounts, and I don't feel comfortable with posting my life over the internet for everyone to see.

Am I abnormal?
I just feel like my opinions / thoughts about online and internet stuff are so weird compared to other people. Basically all my friends are always on their phones, taking pics for their instas, and tumblrs and always texting their matches back on tinder / snapchat (which my other friend uses constantly)
I'm tired of feeling like I am wrong for not having these things. I choose not to make an account on these sites. Why is that so strange / hard for them to accept? Am I THAT weird or different?

I would like to hear your opinions please.
Thanks for answering.

Most Helpful Guy

• Nothing wrong with you at all. I feel exactly the same way. I'm not in any social media anymore, and even when I was I didn't post almost anything, I just used it to chat with my friends, like "the messenger" was the thing in the past.

I hate it so much when I go to play pool with my friend and then he's on the fucking facebook with he's phone chatting with other people while I try to talk something. Social media is the most anti-social thing ever made.

But yes you are "abnormal" from their eyes. If you go to a crazyhouse, sanity is abnormal there and you would be the crazy one. If you are called abnormal or crazy in this world, you are on the right track. Don't become one of the crazies because of that.

It might be harder to find people like you, but it's definitely worth it to stay true to yourself, eventually you will find them and it will be 100 times better than to just go with the "normal"

Most Helpful Girl

• I understand your reasons for not wanting to have accounts on other websites.
    It's true that some people share too much and that might be dangerous. And there's also people who are so obsessed with social media, that they don't pay attention to what's going around them. They don't think about their real problems.
    It's a little bit sad.
    But I don't think you're wrong for not wanting to have an account. That's a choice you made. And you're not obligated to do the same your friends do.
    So, please don't feel that you're abnormal, because you're not. :)

• 4d

Thanks for the MHO!

• 3d

You're very welcome! Thank you for the detailed answer.
      You helped me feel better. :-)

• 3d

That's great! I'm glad I could help you to feel better. :)

What Guys Said 12

• Your not wrong - its your choice. Ok i got FB, two E-mails in abv. bg, one in google, and one in yahoo. Also other registrations here and there, but im not sharing my life there. I think that going out and staring at your phones, taking selfies and not talking much is stupid. Why should you let everyone know what your doing every single moment. Soon noone will go out on dates - theyll use VR (virtual reality) and then what. Why dont humanity choose the best humans in th world clone them and kill the rest. All this high tech i killing verbal communications.

• no, its crazy these people want to share all their info. THESE SAME people are the ones complaining about the NSA wanting to spy on them... *face palm* all these stupid kids put up their illegal activites on facebook and shit. half of them get arrested for it. how many people get stalkers because of facebook or whatever. i have a fake facebook i use and try to not accept people but only a small handful of people that i actively hang out with. and other than keep ur enemies closer thing ;) im not hesitant to remove people i get sick of. and i get follow requests all the time by random ass mother fuckers. half the time by half naked ass chicks... lets not pretend i dont know what they are up to. maybe they thought im just some 18 year old virgin or some basement dweller or maybe they just spam click everyone i dont know. but i hate facebook in general. its good that u dont want to use it, and there are plenty of people who dont either. seems more and more every day

• Nah I don't but I'm like you. I don't use Facebook at all. Deleted that like a year ago. Insta I follow some people most like chefs, people from YouTube I follow and cute pics of Springer Spaniels lol. I think I had twitter and tweeted once lmao. This site is the only social media that I use if you consider it social media.

• I can't go anywhere without seeing EVERYBODY glued to their phones. Its not weird to not be apart of it. Ever watch Terminator? It won't be robot death machines. It will be smart phones! And ipads. And lap tops! Yesh, skynet hath come

• No you are not weird, different, or wrong for having those feelings/opinions. I mainly have my social media accounts to keep updated on my family and friends as well as update them on my life. I am not huge on social media just like you.

• Yes. It's crazy!!! Blasphemous, some might say
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LoJtwYSLeMw

• It all sounds stupid to me, granted I'm older. I've been on FB 4 times this year lol to share something really important. I call or text my family and close friends.

• Yes, you are abnormal. But in a good way.
    You have no reason to go with the flow. Just be who you are and don't give a sh*t about what others think.

• no u r not

• No you are not abnormal you're just fine. It's personal preference. If you just happy with what you have. Just be it.

• You are not wrong. But it is the way of the future!

• If you don't want to do those things, then don't. Personally I have social media on YouTube, Instagram and letterboxd, where I do nothing but engage in conversation with film buffs because I don't have that many in my personal life. couple other interests on YouTube and here for the lols. Basically it's worth trying out if you have interests you want to find other people that share them, or keep in contact/find lost family or friends. If those don't appeal to you, then there's no reason for you to be on social media. And there's nothing abnormal about that.

What Girls Said 14

• Nope you're absolutely normal. I'm the same way and I don't even use that fb account much tbh. I am consciously not on any other social media. Your friend just needs to understand no two people are exactly the same. I have never gotten the point of having strangers "following"=knowing everything about me or being able to look into my life via pictures I posted. I am proudly NOT a member of selfie nation and my business is my business. If you are uncomfortable don't do anything you don't want to. People who do those things are also obviously easier to be stalked plus there are other ways to meet guys than putting all the nitty gritty details of your personal life on social media.

• I've always believed that people don't really care about what you have to say on FB or a social media site. And if they do care, they are feeling some type of way about it. People have a way of feeling jealous towards anything you post they may feel like they don't have, and that negativity can be sent to mess up your life. Don't bother posting anything. People who post are self-absorbed in with their lives. People don't need to know your business.

• i am 22 and i only use my mail and no social media or sh*t... stuffs like that ain't important to me tbh

• Nah, I think it's fine you're not active. I'm not either. I used to be on it more, but I've slacked off because I don't see the huge fascination.

• Nothing wrong. Social media is a bit overrated anyways. You can still have friends without it.

Still, it's useful in some ways. FB I mainly have for checking on invites from friends. KiK is for keeping in touch with people I met from overseas. The way you use social media is completely up to you. I know some people who keep it strictly professional. It's not always about showing off your life.

Besides, we all need a little mystery in our lives anyways.

• Not abnormal. I'm like you, i only have fb and snap. Which I rarely use. And this thing. If you don't want to don't do it, I never saw the appeal in advertisizing my life.

• there is absolutely nothing wrong with not wanting to share your entire life with the internet. you can still have loads of friends and do loads of stuff without social media and tbh i don't like sharing everything either, especially with people u barely know

• abnormal is what they do not you. i dont even have fb. why? because i can. and because i like my privacy.

• You're not "abnormal" I don't know why you'd come to that conclusion just because of that.
    I don't have Facebook, Snapchat , Instagram, Twitter, or anything like that either.
    Neither does my best friend.
    You're fine. It's not a big deal.

• don't make them!! i promise you don't it ruins your life. i wish i could delete it but i'm addicted

• Don't worry, there is nothing wrong with that.

• u r not

• I'm around the same age and I don't like social media! Nothing is wrong :) Do you!

• Not into social media and I'm confident about that. My friends have made comments here and there, but I don't give a shit and they learned to accept it :)