Do you speak up for yourself?

I look at speaking up as pushing one's interest, expressing an opinion, or making an ambitious ask. Us as individuals have created a range of acceptable behavior. If we are within that range of acceptable behavior, we are rewarded. If we step out of our range, we are punished. Punishment referring to dismissed, demeaned, or ostracized.

I think this has everything to do with confidence, and let's not look at confidence from a fixed perspective. Confidence may vary depending on the context of the situation. For example, I may be extremely confident when I'm discussing fitness and bodybuilding, as I may have absolutely no confidence when debating philosophical topics.

So my question is, do you have the confidence to speak up for yourself when the risk of punishment is high?

Or...

Do you feel that you are often caught in the scenario of thinking that if you don't speak up, you will go unnoticed, or if you do speak up, you will get rejected?

What Girls Said 17

• It depends if the pay off is worth it.

I have no issue speaking up for myself, but there are situations where it is more grief than it's worth. But more than anything I don't allow anybody to walk all over me or dismiss my opinion because they don't agree with it.

• "Speaking up for myself" has become one of the biggest battles this year; been trying to become more self confident and reassured that no matter what you say, everything will be okay at the end of the day. But from where I was beginning of this year to the end of this year, massive improvement- 50/50 of the time I speak up but pick my topics and battles wisely

• I usually don't speak up for myself.

• If I know a lot about the subject and feel like I can contribute to the discussion, for sure. If not, I have no problem asking questions. I really have respect for people who aren’t ashamed of not knowing something and openly admit it/ask rather than nod along. I also learned to stand by my own opinion, despite people not agreeing with it. It’s easy to give opinions on GaG that will receive lots of positive feedback but that usually involves giving weak opinions that please everybody.

• i used to have a problem speaking up, but now that i'm older i don't have a problem with it. this goes for subjects, as well as things in my personal life.

• I tend to not speak up in certain situations:
    If I'm in a group- I hate being the center of attention. My face will turn red and then I'll be too focused on that to speak lol
    If there are consequences- I never spoke up to my coach even tho she was stupid af and I hated her. I knew I'd lose my scholarship if I ever spoke up.

In a smaller setting I definitely speak up. Some things aren't worth an argument for me tho.

• He'll yeah I do. Every day if I have to.

• Yep, and if I have a problem, you'll know about it.
    I almost always voice my feelings and thoughts, which can sometimes get me into trouble, but it means I'm 100% transparent.

• I'd rather go unnoticed and just observe. 😛

• Yes, I speak up but I avoid giving an opinion when I don't know a lot about the subject. I've also noticed that I'm not as confident or comfortable when it comes to speaking about my personal life.

• For me it depends on the situation. If it is a stranger, I will get angry and I will speak up for myself. When it is people I know, I get shy and nervous because I've been threatened by lots of people I know.

• Yeah, i have no problem. But i pick and choose my battles to suit me.

• I do speak up based on my self interests, once I deem something worth the effort. I go in with some flexibility though so I don't end up looking like a fool if it's uncalled for.

• No not usually

• I have done that b4 i got punished and i dont mind doing it again

• Yeah ofc.

• I have the confidence to speak up for myself whether there is a risk of punishment or not.

What Guys Said 12

• Sometimes. If it's not that big of a deal to me, I'll let shit go, but I'm never gonna get punked. I don't sweat over the little things cause I think it's just being picky and whiny and unnecessarily forward, but I'll never let myself willingly get fucked over

• I'd generally rather play it safe and go unnoticed unless I have something to gain by speaking up. In most cases I believe sharing an unpopular opinion just brings unnecessary drama and rarely provides you with anything beneficial.

• Of course I do

• lol i love going outside the box ;) its so fun to watch everyone from outside. plus all the snow is fresh and white... inside its all trampled and yellow from all the piss lol ;)

• 12d

Lol you look exactly like my uncle dude. It's fucking scary. I'll find a pic later lol.

• 12d

or my eggo hehe forgot that one

• 12d

You look like him when he was younger. Was going to have to dig up a younger pic. Same facial structure though. Like spot on.. Lol

• Yes I do at least on the subjects that I know well like you.

• Yes I do, but I'm quiet and reserved by nature so while it's gotten a lot easier for me it's a struggle sometimes still but yes

• I am very outspoken and my opinions are not popular. I just say what i as an individual stand for and if people dont like it, fuck em.

I dont care about social norms. A bunch of arbitrary rules cannot define who i am.

• 12d

I'm the same way although I feel like most people fall into sub categories of social norms naturally. Even if you are outspoken.

• 12d

Yes i agree. Up to a degree social norms are needed.

• Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait

You asked a question without trolling?

This possible?

• Yes, always. I speak up for myself no matter what.

• Yes.

• Nawww g

• i always do.