Do people still hesitate to tell people they see a therapist?

I find it pretty surprising.

What Guys Said 9

• Men hesitate, women don't (usually). Because men are supposed to be 'strong', and them seeking help is frowned upon/laughed at.

• 14d

Really? I thought it would be the same for both genders.

• 14d

No it is not. I have sought therapy, and I am not ashamed to admit it. But I don't usually tell this to anyone unless absolutely essential, because get all the weird faces.

• I've seen a therapist before & I'm seeing a counselor now. I don't know if there's a huge difference really but I know with both I've definitely avoided telling people.

Being 100% honest, I've struggled with depression & stuff & I feel guys get a bad look if they seem weak or ask for help. Maybe that's in my head but it feels that way so I just try to keep it to myself mostly.

• I have an excuse for seeing a counselor now, and it's a true excuse--I'm a Resident Assistant in a dorm at a university, and it was suggested in training that we go to counseling sometimes, cause it should help.

• I think therapists are completely useless.

• women can say she's anything and everyone will pretty much show compassion, men get ridiculed and laughed at.

• Probably, they don't want to seem like they are crazy.

• i probably need a therapist i would care if people know most people probably need one too

• I would see a therapist if I had the time and money.

• I've seen a therapist before.
    Talk about something that totally screwed up my life.
    BUT, some people seem to need it and like it, like young women.

What Girls Said 2

• Yeah, some people are still embarrassed or ashamed of it... or they could just not be comfortable telling just anyone that.

• I have a friend who was embarrassed that she was seeing one. She didn't tell anyone but me for the first two months. She slowly started telling people in her life.