Do you unplug electrical devices when there's a thunderstorm?

Do you unplug stuff like the computer when there's a thunderstorm?

We've had two routers fried from lightning, so now my mum always unplugs it when there's a thunderstorm. Most other stuff seems to cope but I still unplug my computer if the thunderstorm is really bad

• I unplug everything
  • I unplug some things
  • I don't unplug anything

What Girls Said 2

• i unplug everything

• No not anymore.

What Guys Said 4

• in germany where i live there are very strict regulations for electric circuits in houses. you can´t have shitty unprotected circles that will fry electric devices when a lighning hits somewhere, cause it´s a fire hazard. in overload protected circles, there is no hazard. the worst that can happen is blowing a fuse in your mains junction box.

• 5d

Oooh fancy shmancy German rules. I'm not sure if there's a risk where I'm living now cause I'm in a huge building with 1000 people, so I guess it'd get spread out too much, but I still do it sometimes just to be sure

• 5d

yeah in very old houses it can happen here. in that case i´d do it too.

• Depends how shitty it is out there. Most of the times yes.

• No I don't do that

• Get a surge protector and if your really worried, a UPS to make sure your computer doesn't suddenly go off when the power cuts.