Could there be a war between 2 states?

So I don't think this would happen since we have a. Strong central goverment but let say 2 state I'm use Washington and Idaho as example hated each other had massive political disagreements and let's say Washington started refusing any goods coming from Idaho State. And let's say cents Washington has legalized weed that people from Washington keep going over to Ohi had massive political disagreements and let's say Washington started refusing any goods coming from Idaho state. I let's say cents Washington has legal marijuana that Washington residents keep going over to Idaho with marijuana and keep getting arrested and let's say there's a significant amount like 1000 2000. And people so the people of Washington state invade Idaho and start killing people lets say a group of 100,000 people invade Idaho could there be a war between the 2 states or would the federal government get involved and put a stop to it. And one of both states refuse unless the other is kicked out of being a part of the United States.

Yes is a very unlikely situation I probably One in septillion (1 time 10 to the power of 27) chance of happening but I think it would be a fun scenario to analyze what are you guys think One in septillion chance of happening but I think it would be a fun scenario to analyze what are you guys think

What Girls Said 1

• Michigan and Ohio went to war against each other once.

Over Toledo or something.

Apparently Michigan lost lol

But that was when they were forming borders and stuff. Probably won't happen again.

• 10d

That's funny I was just watching alternative history have on YouTube and it that's their latest video and so I asked this question lol

What Guys Said 5

• That has been "war" between states many years ago - and there still is. In the past, it has been over boundary disputes. For instance, this one between NY and NJ just before the revolution:
    en.wikipedia.org/.../New_York_%E2%80%93_New_Jersey_Line_War

These continue to modern times:
    en.wikipedia.org/.../Ellis_Island
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey_v._New_York

Basically, where there issues between the states, they are resolved in Federal Courts usually ending up in the US Supreme Court. For example, Kansas has been suing Nebraska numerous times.
    The most recent was Kansas v. Nebraska and Colorado which was decided in February 2015.
    www.scotusblog.com/.../

However, in the scenario you discuss, what would immediately happen is that the President would sign an Executive Proclamation directed to the governors of those states to essentially "get your shit together" giving them a chance to get things under control. If they fail, the President would sign an Executive Order federalizing the National Guards of Washington and Idaho to re-establish order.

• 10d

Also, about the refusing goods part...
      Idaho and the United States would likely jointly sue Washington taking the case directly to the US Supreme Court which has jurisdiction per US Constitution Article III, Section 2. Washington refusing to take goods from Idaho is an obstruction of commerce violating the Commerce Clause of Article 1, Section 8, Clause 3 of the U. S. Constitution:

"The Congress shall have power to... regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes;"

A state obstructing interstate commerce is a violation of the "dormant Commerce Clause" which follows implicitly from the Commerce Clause - since Congress regulates interstate commerce (per the Commerce Clause), states cannot take it amongst themselves to do that which is what Washington is doing in this scenario.

For that same reason, Idaho (suing Washington) would not obstruct like you describe. If they did, then Washington and the United States would again sue.

• Right about the point where you began talking about the weed, you started repeating yourself. I'm thinking you are on the weed as you write this.

• 9d

More like have a clouded head form a cold so I haven't been able to smoke in 3 weeks so none lol

• I guess their state's national guards could theoretically go to war with each other but the federal military would quickly intervene.

• Put down the crack pipe.

• 10d

I'm good I love it to much give me that crack boy

• Like red arrow implied, how stoned were you when you wrote this?

• 9d

I haven't been able to smoke in 3 weeks do to the flue I had just gotten and watching alternative history on YouTube and that's where I came up with this question because apparently Michigan and Ohio almost went to war because of boarder issues