Is it fair that me and another co worker do the same exact job; I have been there longer and they make 25k more than me?

I just found out that my colleague makes 25k more than me. I make 35k and he makes 60k I struggle financially and I feel this is unfair, what do you guys think?

0/2500

Send It!

What Guys Said 3

• Go tell the boss that this situation is all fucked up and you quit. . . or keep your mouth shut, keep your job and possible start looking for a new job.

• That level of disparity in the same position is insane. If your roles really are identical then I'd seriously be pissed off. It's a bit difficult to raise the issue though, because you aren't supposed to know what a colleague is on, it's confidential information. If I were you I'd still be seeing my manager and asking for more money. You can't mention your colleague but you can still ask for more. If they don't want to play ball then you should be looking elsewhere.

• 8d

It's not confidential at all and there are several laws that make it *illegal* for your employer to tell you it is or to even encourage you not to talk about it.

• 8d

That's a bummer for the UK. Where's the workers rights movement when you need it?

• 8d

@BellePepper Workers' rights also include the right of the invidual to have confidentiality. That's the way it works here I guess.

Anyway, I agree with your core point that the disparity in your salary and that guy's salary is beyond a joke. It is as if his job title is entirely different to yours. Actually, that's a good question, do you both have the same job title?

If I were you I might consider getting legal advice on this one.

• there must be a reason for the disparity. if you are 100% certain that he makes that and there is no significant reason why he'd make more (length at company, education level, etc) then i would work to get that fixed

• 8d

She's a woman and he's a man...

• 1d

Oh you've got that area well covered.

• 7h

@BellePepper you've made your opinions of me very clear. i'll withhold my opinions of you

i am a feminist. a real feminist. the type of person who believes in equality for women. not the type who says every thing that happens is sexism especially without evidence to substantiate it which there is NONE here.

What Girls Said 3

• A little thing called seniority, favoritism, and WHO they know, not what you know. If they're into some sort of union, club [if you want to call it that], and other stuff, they will get the money even without doing anything. All you can do is continue to do your job, see how it goes for a while. If you don't see that you're moving up with your job, then request an audience with your boss and ask for a higher pay if you have been on the job long enough to request that. At 90% of jobs out here, it's not about what's fair, it's who you are and what you are to them, especially if their 'racist'.

• As long as you have the same education level there's a good chance you have a lawsuit. Like you should *seriously* look into getting a lawyer.

• I guess it depends on your experience and how each of you perform.