To PS4 owners: Have you installed a bigger hard drive into your console?

So after downloading FFXV my storage is now full. I may get at least a 2 terabyte internal hard drive.

But was wondering if anyone has got one? and if it runs well?

Most Helpful Guy

• How ironic, I'm about to do this next month!

Sony really designed the PS4 well, probably know that us gamers would eventually have to do this.

On YouTube, there is an IGN hosted video that shows step-by-step how to do this. I watched it twice and it seems very straightforward and not "scary"/"risky" in the slightest!

All you need is a small screwdriver, a laptop-sized hard drive, and two USB flash drives (one for the firmware, one for the backed up game save data).

First, backup the game save data on the first flash drive.

Then, download the firmware from the PlayStation website on the second flash drive. Make sure the hard drive is completely blank before the firmware is added, so there is no wonky software confusion with the installation.

There are four tiny screws to take out, and the PS4's hard drive slides right out easily. Put in the new one and slide it back in. Re-screw the screws.

Put the flash drive with the firmware, in the PS4. Boot the PS4 like usual and follow the prompts to install the firmware.

Now the PS4 should run like normal. Re-install the games, use the first flash drive to transfer the game save data onto the console, and #Boom !

What Girls Said 3

• PS4 hey? *whistles*
    1-ps.googleusercontent.com/.../...67vsZimPZlI-.gif

I still have my PS2 😂

• I haven't bought one yet. I keep intending to, but end up buying clothes for my J-fashion habit, or spending it for school expenses... I swear I'll buy one this week. xD

• no, i rarely use my ps4

What Guys Said 13

• i don't have a PS4. but for what i do with my gaming and what not i doubt i'd need additional hard drive space. i've had my PS3 for probably about 8 years and don't think i'm close to the capacity of the hard drive

• 2d

On the PS4 the games aren't just ran off the disc like the PS3. the game have to be installed onto the hard drive of the PS4, which average about 25GB per game.

• 9h

@Prof_Don so there are no hard discs anymore? like you buy the disc and then upload all the software?

• 12min

With the PS4, the games have to be installed from the disc onto the hard drive, AND the disc has to be in the system to run the game.

• Never tried, but I'm sure I'll have to do it soon. I'm not sure what problems could arise though? Also I don't remember if PS4 offers the same option as PS3 with online storage for save files. Sometimes save files for certain games can use up a bit of unnecessary space because those can get RIDICULOUSLY large, as Skyrim has shown me

• It's meant to be swapped out.. sony made it very easy for that. The slim is even easier. Lots do it and it works just fine. Check out the reviews here, mostly all ps4 users

www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_1

Here's one with the full kit
    www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_1

• I'm gonna have to do this soon too.. I keep deleting old games to make room for new ones which is incredibly inconvenient.

Installing hard drives isn't usually a super confusing process though.. I'm sure there's plenty of youtube tutorials and whatnot.

• 6d

yeah the installing part doesn't worry me. i just worry if the thing will still be working a couple years down the line. i just want a quality product for my money

• I don't own a PS4, but do know any 2.5 hard drive will work provided it's not thicker than 9.5mm. Just make sure to get a quality with good warranty and reviews.
    Hear is a good quality drive with good reviews of people who installed it in their PS4.
    www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_10

• I want to. Where can you by a hardrive for PS4 though?

• 6d

well i just been eyeing a few on amazon. i just want to know which one to get though as there is quite a few to choose from

• 6d

Amazon, newegg, any 2.5" drive will work provided it's not thicker than 9.5mm, but be sure to get a quality drive.

• I never did with my old PS4. If my HDD was getting full then I would always delete the old games that I didn't play anymore.

I ended up trading it for the Pro and as you know, it comes with a 1TB HDD.

• The biggest hard drive daddy.

• I don't have have a PS4 so I can't answer that.

• nope, never needed a bigger hard drive for my ps4

• Oh my God how big is the file? I wouldn't buy the actual cd.

• 6d

I WOULD**

• 2d

On the PS4 the games have to be decompressed on the console's hard drive , before they can be ran off the disc. Average game size is 25GB

• 2d

This is separate from the game save data (which is average of 3GB per game).

Plua don't forget about apps like Netflix, Spotify, etc

Now u can see how the 500 GB internal (~442GB available for use) cam fill up with a collection of 10+ games

• Nope. I don't use it much

• I have a friend that installed a 1tb in his. He hasn't had any issues that I know of.