IS CHIVALRY A SECRET FOR OF SEXISM?

• YES
  • NO

What Girls Said 1

• No, nigga.

What Guys Said 7

• Chivalry, or the chivalric code, is a code of conduct associated with the medieval institution of knighthood which developed between 1170 and 1220. Chivalry is how knights were supposed to treat others and kill each other. The idea of it being used to protect women is because the code states that a knight must fight to the death anyone who insults his lady. In a way, it is treating women like they can't handle themselves but it also makes it so men are obligated to go out of their way to keep women safe and cared for.
    It could be seen as sexist because women don't have to reciprocate the favor towards men but in the knights code the maiden had to replace the knight is he died in battle. Chivalry was actually rather egalitarian for its time.

tl;dr Kinda but it was how I was raised and I don't plan on changing anytime soon. :)

• Being chivalrous is just being a gentleman. It's a good thing. It shows you're polite and caring. It doesn't degrade women.

• No, its only sexist if the women claims to want to be "equal" and doesn't contribute back to the relationship. Its not sexist, as your helping out a lady. If I'm a gentleman I expect her to help out as well, or just be a lady. :)

• No.
    What's with the all caps?

• I can see why.

• Its a code of conduct for war.

• Yeah I guess so.
    This reminds me of an episode of the cartoon "the cramp twins" where he tries to be chivalrous and everyone calls him sexist. That was actually where I learned the word sexist when I was a kid