In University do most people study all day long?

I was chatting with the guy that I used to be crazy about and he told me he was very busy and did not have time for a social life. I told him I went to a very famous tourist attraction 1 hour away on a Friday morning and he said he had not been there in over ten years because he was busy studying and trying to make the grade. He said he no had social life at all cause he was so busy trying to do well in school and he told me in high school he would run on 4 hours of sleep a night because he wanted to get into the best university possible. I believe him because he is young and already has many wrinkles on his face from sleep deprivation. I am 31 and according to family members, I look like I am 25 or 26. Others peg me at early 20's like 21 - 24.

The thing is I can't imagine studying all day long. I usually squander at least 7 - 8 hours a day socializing, meditating, listening to music, doing bible study, baby sitting or playing with my nephew and nieces, helping with house chores, running errands or watching t. v.

How can somebody actually just study all day long? Is this even possible?

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on the course and amount of work.

My housemate was in third year Business and basically worked on essays and coursework constantly.

She resented me and my Journalism degree because I could bang out an essay in an hour or two and the rest of my time I was playing Tribes 2, drunk, or chasing girls at a nightclub.

What Guys Said 4

• I'm in a university in a Radiologic Technology Program. Before we start clinicals, we have to apply for a position. One major thing they look in students is their GPA. So I strive for A's in every single class to make myself stand above everybody else. Good grades also give you lots of free money. But it's not easy. In fact, it is recommended to study for 2 hours outside of class for every 1 hour spent in class. It's literally a full-time job. There are plenty of days when I'm backed up in homework, have papers to write, presentations to prepare, and quizzes/exams to study for all at the same time. It gets especially busy in the last 2 weeks of a semester when everything is due at the same time. I couldn't tell you how many all-nighters I've pulled. And my schooling is only going to get harder from here on out. Once I start my clinicals, it will be 4 hours of classes, 4 hours of hands on clinicals, and then going home to study, 5 days a week for 2 years straight year round. But even still, students currently in clinicals have said they still have time to have a social life. If this guy says he's busy, I believe him. Of course he's probably not in the same program, but college is still a lot of work. And a lot of people also work a job, so there's not a lot of free time depending on how important their grades are to them and how long they study for. But there's no way this guy absolutely never has a few hours every now and then to actually go out and do something. I'm a straight A student and I hang out with friends all the time on weekends. So unless he's in some super intense law or medical school, my guess is he's just not a social person or is a complete nerd. Hope this helps.

• Do most? No.
    Do some? Yes.
    There are also people who work 12-15 hours a day seven days a week.

I prefer to have more free time, but I've done both before. When I first went to college I mostly just screwed around. I was more interested in partying than school. When I went back in my mid 30s I took it a lot more seriously, and went through on a fast pace to get done and back working.

I took 22-26 units, many of which were lab classes where you only get one unit for each 3-4 hours in lab. I also spent huge amounts on time on my lab notebooks because that was a big part of my learning.

I wasn't satisfied with just getting A's. I wanted to learn as much as I could about the subjects. I was at school up 45 hours a week just for class and lunch. If I didn't wake up every morning, including Saturday and Sunday thinking about my subjects, I needed to crack down. Basically it was all-consuming and I had almost no time for anything else.

• Don't be so naive. Most don't.

• Depends on the program and school

What Girls Said 2

• major + mental capabilities for major + time management skills, will usually determine how much time a student needs for studying

that said, most students don't study all day. nor do they need to
    if this guy is literally studying all day it's because he's lacking at least one of those things, necessary to push him to the top.

• It's possible, some few do. But the vast majority does not.