Has anyone thought about joining the military?

Back in high school i did JROTC for a year and i wanted to join the Marine Corps because it seems like a good experience to join and friends encouraged me to and they are in the Marines right now and i did tell them i was going to join. Now as time passed by i felt like i shouldn't because all of the issue in the middle east but my dad keeps recommending me to join the Air Force because its a "safer choice" and the GI bill. I don't know because right now i am in CC and going to transfer to a university later. Maybe i should finish college join the military as a officer for couple year

Most Helpful Girl

• It all boils down to what you're passionate about.
    Do you want to be on the front line? Do you want to do more of an intelligence role? Do you have a talent for languages? There are so many varied jobs in the military it would be a dream for those who want to protect and serve their country. However, you need to be 100% certain that this is what you want before you join. There are downsides, and it can be very hard on your family, or if you want to start a family later on in life. I'm under the impression you have to sign a min of 6 years before you can leave.
    I'd honestly advise joining the military as an officer when you've finished college, because even if you decide to leave, or have to retire then you have your degree to fall back onto. You're also more eligble for promotion through the ranks at a slightly quicker rate, have more life experience to add, and more time to grow and find out exactly what you want. What your strengths are, and what role would suit you best.
    Graduate from college and take your time to decide. This isn't a decision to take lightly or rush. But it's an incredible life changing career for those who do well. Good luck.

What Girls Said 1

• actually I did, back in high school.

What Guys Said 3

• nope

• i thought about joining the air force, but I learned they wouldn't let me fly so I decided not to

• 3d

What was the issue that they wouldn't let you fly?

• 3d

I did hear something about military allowing laser eye surgery for flying but not sure.

• 3d

last I looked it wasn't allowed, plus I don't like the idea of being held down while a doctor shoots a laser into my eyes

• I wanted to join the Marines. I was 18 & only 130 lbs.
    I was afraid I'd be a substandard Marine & I fell into a good job shortly after.