What are some cool hobbies that you might consider interesting/attractive in a potential mate? What are some of your hobbies?

Recently I've been reading a lot about people who want their mate to have cool/interesting hobbies, so I'm wondering what hobbies might interest you in a mate? Also, what hobbies might be a turn off/boring in a mate?

I love musicians. Mt wife was a music teacher and member of several music groups.

My wife loved to hear me talk about sailing, even though looking at a boat made her seasick. She loved hearing me talk about hiking and being in the wilderness, though she didn't like roughing it. She liked hearing me talk about astronomy and space exploration. However, I could anesthetize her if I talked about earth science.

Most Helpful Girl

• Lol. What is this... Build-a-Bae? JK jk. I can't say it was so much a hobby as I needed my boyfriend to be the same KIND of nerd as me. We share a similar balance of interests that make us compatible. I guess really the best way to say it is that we're on the same wavelength. It's the one thing that matters to me since it's the core of many/most of my hobbies.

Outside of specifically sentimental moments I think I'd say we feel most connected when we can both understand things like deductive reasoning, thinking outside the box, applied mathematics, simple programming concepts... and similarly enjoy a good movie, enjoy discussing things like what we believe is and isn't canon to a storyline, plot holes, filming strategy, how we imagine something will be connected in a specific variation, vs how it may have been in a previous iteration.

And yet still there's more to the balance... the point is, it wasn't so much hobbies but the core and both needing that in a significant other. Would you count that? I think those things... separately and as a whole are how we feel we're the most 'ourself' in between all the rest of day to day life.

Most Helpful Guy

• Running is my main hobby. I think having a hobby, even if it's something I'm not familiar with, is already interesting on its own.

Sponsored

0/2500

Send It!

What Girls Said 50

• For me it's less about the hobby, but more so if he's passionate about it. I think it's honestly cute if we have different hobbies - even if that means he has a hobby I'm not interested in - because 1) I can learn new shit and try new things and 2) He has his own little "niche" outside of me and our relationship, which I think is healthy.

For me the reason overall that he's passionate about it is because I find passion more intriguing than whatever it is he's doing; he has something that he enjoys, that he puts all of his effort into, and he gets enjoyment out of it. It's a beautiful thing to me.

• It doesn't matter to me what a guy's hobbies are, except that he enjoys them. Well of course it can't be anything that hurts other people.

I think it's just nice that people have hobbies. Honestly I've been doing my best to cultivate hobbies because I hear that's what people want to hear about. But honestly when I ask most guys (I'm a straight female in the dating world, so that's why I'm saying asking guys), most that I talk to don't have hobbies. And they seem off-put that I ask.

But i consider watching movies, documentaries, knitting, cooking, camping, hiking, etc... to be hobbies.

• i'm a writer (though i sing and do photography on the side), and fellow creative people will almost always win me over because they "get it"; they understand the creative process and that, sometimes, reasoning with one's muse is akin to pulling teeth lol.

my other half is a very talented artist. he draws, paints, cooks, and does video editing for his youtube channel. i was attracted to him because he's the kind of person i can share my passions and big ideas with. and he understands that it's not always as simple as "sit down, write, repeat".

we can have these long, intellectual conversations about music, science, religion, etc... and i love it.

he's a skilled pc repair tech and is happiest when wrist-deep inside a computer case... but i am not technically inclined at all, and so i tell him to use hand-puppets and words that are one syllable or less when talking about programming/computer parts/etc. it's all gibberish to me.

• This is such a good question as it points to how important being passionate about something is in a relationship.

People are so much more interesting and attractive when they are in love with something outside of the relationship. It's so sexy in either gender when someone has something they can't stop talking about... something that makes their eyes light up... even if it's not necessarily on par with their partner's interests.

This was true for you and your wife! One of the reasons you fell in love with each other was because you were so passionate about music/sailing. Same for me and my boyfriend. I fell in love with his passion for his job of helping young kids and he fell in love with my passion for helping people reach their fitness goals.

That passion gives people such dimension and depth! That being said, there's no particular interest that would attract me. It would simply be the love behind one real interest... no matter what that may be :)

• Cooking, music and gaming is cool hobbies/interests for me purely because I enjoy gaming and music aaaand I'm useless in the kitchen so a guy who likes cooking will be a huge plus to me! Turn off's would maybe be sports. That is all I can think of. I would rather spend my day playing LoL than watch sports, that's all. Not saying sport is bad or anything.

• My hobbies: dancing, self defence, realistic sketching, drawing cartoons, history, baking, candy making, fusion cooking, making soaps, making natural feminine hygiene products, sewing, soul music, debating, thinking, philosophy, learning new skills, photography, learning practical survival skills, diy. :-)

Some of the hobbies in my partner I love are his philosophical debates, trivial knowledge in music, his witty ability to make jokes - being able to make someone laugh a beautiful skill, he has very excellent knowledge in cooking :-), us going for long walks, road trips, exercising/gym. We love our rests and adventures.

• Daaam, xD, you always have something to do ^____^
      So, if i let you on a desert, or deep forest, could you survive for 1 week?

• Nah, water would escape :(

• If they have an interest in Japanese culture or anime, then that's a hit! But any interesting hobby is ok with me. I like to draw manga/anime style and I play the violin, I like different types of music classical to rock and want to be an entrepreneur. I plan on getting back into gaming like I did when I was little as it was one of my best times as a child.

• I don't have many particular hobbies that I actually stick to, but a hobby of mine is going out and trying out new hobbies once. So if my potential dude is cool with exploring new things and stepping out of his comfort zone, that could be really fun.
    Otherwise I've always played video games and drew/made crafts

• -reading, 2 out of 3 of my boyfriends either didn't do it or read fluff
    -animal conservation/tracking, I want a career with animals, so, if he was into them and also did field work, wowza

• I take an interest in wildlife since I hike. Alas, I haven't seen a bear in the wilderness in more than 20 years. :(

What career are you looking for?

• I want to be a doctor and either practice medicine or do field work or research, something to help the little guys out

• anything with music (singing, an instrument, ect), dancing, cooking, camping, dnd, biology, kids.

If it is mathy you will put me to sleep, computers I find are boring, hunting no thank you (although fishing is fine)... I dunno I'm not very picky.

• I've always wanted to learn to dance. If a guy is a dancer, I'm instantly attracted.

• My friend's wife has stated very firmly that she absolutely positively under no circumstances would date a man who can't dance.

Fortunately, my wife felt differently.

;)

• I don't really care what kind of hobby he has, but it's a plus if he's passionate about something and also when he's open to trying new things.
    I have one tjing I wouldn't like it if he would play that and that's soccer. I hate the whole sport and culture and if he would be totally passionate about soccer, then we wouldn't have much in common i think.
    For me, I've been riding horses since I was 6 years old and have my own horse. Everybody in my family rides horses so it would be nice if he's open to trying it out.
    I also like to do other sports, although I don't regularly practice it. I like fighting sports, mountainbiking and surfing. It would be nice if he's at least a little bit athletic and likes being active.

• My guy and I enjoy outdoor hobbies. Riding mountain bikes, hiking, boating, kayaking, we go camping, summer music festivals. We like cooking. We ski together in the winter as well as watch movies together.
    Sepersteky, He shoots pool and I like to do arts and crafts stuff.

• I am into art, poem, some classic stuff and music.

I think every hobby is interesting and attractive as long as my partner put his passion on it. Like your wife feels when you talk about your hobbies she doesn't even into it, it's because you talk it with passion.

When someone talk about their passion is so beautiful, you can see their eyes sparkles and else.

So yeah haha

• I'm athletic so I'd like him to be into that as well. That would be about it. His hobbies are what makes him unique.

• I love love love musicians, especially drummers 😍😍
    I love wrestlers and baseball players as well.
    Guys who can cook are great because I'm so bad at it πŸ˜‚
    Guys who like watching Star Wars and play Lego Star Wars hold a special place in my heart.
    Guys who like to drink with me are great, especial guys who aren't lightweights

• I love a man who likes to travel, and enjoy road trips 😊

• To be honest I don't really know. Whatever he is interested in (as long as it's legal) will be interesting to me. I love learning new things. It's just having something you do with your free time is what makes peaks my interest, not what it is.

As for me I think my hobbies are kind of lame. I feel like a boring person. I read, I write and I love Zumba. I'm learning to cook and I want to start working out, I just have no idea what to do at the gym. I love dancing but I don't know where to go for that.

• I'm also in school full time and I work on weekends so I haven't had time to anymore hobbies.

• I know the feeling. I'm also in school full time and work. I recently got asked in an interview, "what do you do for fun in your free time?" and I thought in the back of my head, "what student has free time? You expect me to go to school full time with a good GPA, work, take care of my basic needs, volunteer, AND still have time to fun?"

• swimming; I don't hear that much; and also guys playing badminton or handball.

I love watching driving videos, drifts and etc; so if his hobby is taking videos like that/ while driving/ or just driving, it would be indeed interesting.

and maybe painting but not with brushes/ finger painting I think

• I'm into sports and outdoorsy stuff so I couldn't be with someone who had no interest in those things at all.

• My hobbies are (beside watching movies) Muay Thai, mma, swimming, scuba diving, and surfing when I have time.

• I love nature and cooking/baking.
    so I wouldn't mind if my potential partner enjoy the same thing, not necessarily he need to love nature and cooking, It's good enough if he likes food and enjoy to stay at home man (indoor man), as long he love everything I cook to him. there's ying yang about that lolz

• These are alll mutual ones:
    VIDEO GAMES.
    PLAYING VIDEO GAMES.
    Running
    Listening to Music
    Reading (intelligence is sexy).
    Me: collecting reptiles and housing them then selling.
    Them: sports or something I don't know.

• Writing, playing an instrument, tennis, reading, drawing, running, hiking.

I like "girly" guys, I guess.

• My boyfriend is also a musician. I love hearing him talk about all the technicalities, and watching him perform, even though I don't understand much of sound besides what appeals to my ears and what doesn't. I've always found myself attracted to musician types, took me a while to discover this pattern though. I'm more of a visual artist rather than musical. So drawing, painting & graphic design are my fortΓ©. My S/O just likes to scribble. We both are computer/internet addicts lol.

• I think its attractive when a guy is athletic or religious (i. e. leads worship)

• I like reading, watching tv, going to the cinema, eating, walking, video games, listen to music, cooking, drawing, play with my pet, playing / watching sport, writing.
    I like a guy who have the same hobbies.

• It doesn't matter to me what your hobby is, it's just attractive to have something you're passionate about.

• I have to agree about that. People find me more attractive when I tell them that I can dance

• Hiking, camping, wildlife photography, going to the range.

• More from Girls
    20

What Guys Said 36

• I'm rather fluid there since I find I developed whole new interests with each girl I dated. I found it rare that I could find a subject boring provided that I had a partner interested in it. Her enthusiasm would rub off on me.

That said, I had a particular fondness for girls with a very creative hobby which would end up creating some work I could appreciate, like an illustrator or a music composer. Also had a fondness for performers, like a singer, dancer, or an actress in theater.

I married a woman into literature and writing which isn't at the top of my list hobby-wise, but I relate with her better than any other girl I previously dated and she has a sense of humor which really matches and complements my own.

I work in a STEM-related field and I have a passion for it, but it's not exactly something I like to talk about over a dinner table. The women I've met in my field generally are about as opposite of the type of girl I like as possible -- easily offended by my crude humor, and generally lacking any interest in drinking and partying. I'm usually the first person to offend these sensitive and serious types.

• A girl who plays an instrument, plays a sport, or speaks another language. But, really, a girl who just does something in general gets a few bonus points. Unfortunately, most the girls I meet tell me that they like to go to bars and hang out with friends in their free time /: makes it hard to stay interested in someone who doesn't do much on their own.

My hobbies are playing guitar/piano, rock climbing (indoor and outdoor), play video games, martial arts, and I am trying to learn Italian (getting there) and Japanese (barely started yet).

• I find when girls are obsessed with woman's rights to be pretty unattractive. Not because I'm sexist I just find it annoying. But anything is cool for a girl. I like when they do stuff that is completely different. Like I play soccer, box, study, and write a lot of poetry

• I've mined my nostrils for the 55 years, and recently built a kitchen tabletop from the neumies I've amassed!

• One person's hobby can be boredom to another person. Some hobbies are team things, like sports. Others are solitary.

My life is animals, but my main hobby is genealogy. I don't expect a potential mate to be interested in the latter, but they must be an animal lover.

I do not mind what hobbies a future mate has. That is their choice, and I would not want to influence that choice.

• What have you learned about your genealogy?

• Not to trust any record 100% unless backed up be other evidence. I certainly don't trust other people's armchair research. It is essential to use primary sources.

As for ancestry, a couple of branches have been taken back to the mid 1600's.

• I absolutely love singers and dancers. If I see a female singer, I'm pulling splinters out my ass from cupids arrow all night.

I also love quirky women. Like the female version of Tim burton.

I am a musician, love writing music and playing. Guitarist is my main thing. Played in many bands. gave it up a to get better with women. So I have 3 unfinished music projects. Which lead me to my other hobby, bdsm. Shibari specifically. But I have recently picked up the music again and want to finish my projects this year and next.

I'm also in the gym 5 times a week. Health and exercise is massive for me.

Oh... and I love reading. Fiction and non fiction. I'm one of those "did you know" guys.

• I don't really care if she have hobbies or not, it's up to her to know how to spend her free time. I also like my mometns of "nothingness" happening, because i really enjoy to just... think about life, that's such a great tool for us.

The thing is, sooner or later she will find the hobbies she like.
    Some need more time/money than other's. So, it's not a requirement to date.

Can paint, can play music, can love to backpack and long walks, can love sports, can collect meteorites... i dunno xDD

Talking about myself... i want to have some hobbies, but i can't afford them yet. That's why i don't care if she have them now. So my list is:

- Some aquatic sports
    - Playing violin and compose original music.
    - Getting a nice telescope and search the skies
    - Bakcpacking and long walks
    - Learn and master massages (relax and erotic ones), i want to give epic massages to my woman xD
    - Cooking cakes
    - Writing erotica
    (...)

• +2000 cool points if she's a biker chick.
    7-themes.com/.../6943933-girl-and-motorcycle.jpg

• Any interest in music or instruments or building instruments like myself, not afan of pop music but I won't hate people because of it anymore... At least not in real life.

Video games though, I would at least ask that try be cool with me liking them. Any sort of education and learning a new skill that they are passionate about. Photography. Something that can be visually orbaudibly interesting or fun. A sport they like, but I'd rather them do something creative.

• classical painting, martial arts, fitness, literature, poetry, gaming, cooking and my personal favorite napping.

• I make chain maile jewelry, knit, and make and play the hammer dulcimer. If there's a bigger Renaissance nerd in the convo, please raise your hand, lol. :)

• I collect garden gnomes, debate World of Warcraft in anonymous chat rooms, and go to the animal shelter to play with cats. Girls love me

• Keeping in shape and cooking.

• Pros
    ballroom dancing
    golf
    tennis
    swimming
    sailing
    cooking
    medical how-tos
    social conversation
    movie buff
    sexual adventuress

Cons
    video gamer
    geek
    bookworm
    teacher/prof
    snob
    too rich
    lounger

• Everything I'm not haha πŸ˜‚ love video Games, books, and more of what would be considered a nerd! I also plan to be a teacher, and hate physical activities πŸ˜‚

• Scuba diver is very cool and always hot chicks wearing next to nothing and I also like to pilot a glider it's not expensive like becoming a air plane pilot and after the tow up you release at from 4to5 thousand feet and off hunting for thermals it's very cool and if she is open to electronic pulse rail guns then in my book your off to the races you feel me anyway good luck

• If a girl is outdoorsy - fishing, hunting, hiking - its a huge bonus, most of my funtime is spent outside. Same goes for being into cars or bikes espescially, it would be so cool to meet a girl that rides.
    An artsy/creative side is nice too, I'm about the least creative person around so girl that is a nice balance.

• Flying and teaching theoretical knowledge about it to student pilots.
    It's my passion :D

• What's your favorite flying machine?

I've only flown a Cessna 150, a Piper Tomahawk (toothpick with wings), a Beech Bonanza, a Stinson, and Piper's successor to the Cherokee (I can't remember the name right now).

• I've flown the Cessna 150, 152, 172, Robin DR400 and Diamond DA-40 TDI.
      The last one is my favourite :D

• I brew craft beers. They all seem to like drinking it. :)

• Here playing on guitar in age up to 20(maybe higher) is considered attractive to girls. I prefer violin

• My hobbies are drawing art, manga, anime character, making anime, character creating, voice acting, little bit of music and playing games.

I wanted to get into bboying because is really cool and music has nice beat.

• Activities. Anything with moving your body is super attractive to me. Or who can make and create things. And who is open minded in to trying many things.

• Cooking , Baking , Teaching a partner things about cooking.

• I like ⚽️

• If she's into history because I love learning about history

• cooking, sewing, knitting and maybe a sport are good hobbies for a girl to have to attract a future husband. Sorry girls it might be sexist but its true.

• it depends on each ones taste. Im an illustrator and have as hobby music and longboarding. I think girls who do things like this atractive.

• I like when people have hobbies that has some adventure, especially when it's something that you do outside.

• Artistic ability or ability to play lots of instruments

• Definitely historical re-enactments/living history.

• My hobbies are work, sleep, eat, drink, repeat.

• More from Guys
    6