What advice would you give someone in their 20's?

I'm currently a junior in college. I'm 21, I feel like I sometimes freak out a little that I'm growing up or that I'm not fulfilling my life to the fullest.

I would love to hear any Relationship advice, school advice, career advice, or partying advice.

Any and every advice would be appreciated!

519

Most Helpful Guy

• My advice is, enjoy all of what life has to offer, if you can, and to what extent you can, without getting too much into trouble.

Travel and delve into different cultures. It gives a better sense to what really is going on in the world we live in and how things really work outside of our own personal bubbles. Life is WAY bigger than any one of us and our problems sometimes seem like the biggest things ever, but then you look at the next person and their problems can easily be much worse. Also, you'll get a better understanding why some people live and act and believe the way they do because of geography or that influence in that country or whatever. That's one thing I've really found helpful with opening my mind up to how very insignificant my problems are really and the fact that they aren't really major problems, compared to say what's going on in 3rd world or 2nd world countries or places where you're wondering if your family or friends are going to be there or even my house.

School advice - some people believe that school isn't very important in the grand scheme of things. I do believe this is really true to an extent. However, at least in this continent, education, a good one, will get you a better path to a more stable lifestyle, such as a secure career where you can grow and move up and develop a good financial base and savings for when you get older and want to get that house you want or go on the trips you want or even if you plan on living longer than your 50s-60s, you'll need money then when you can't work. Also, your status, at least in other's eyes, is that much better when you are educated, regardless of your culture or nationality or background. But try to concentrate more on how to relate what you learn to how it works in the real world. Usually most of what we learn in school (material wise) is not used in general practice in real-world jobs and such. But to have a good understanding of the fundamentals makes it easier to understand how the newer procedures and equipment helps with what you do. I believe they make learning so difficult and stagnate and theoretical because it is to mold our brains into dealing this fashion. I don't use algebra with what I do as a career, but the things I have to think about to get a problem solved, is pretty abstract sometimes so thinking abstractly with numbers such as algebra probably as indirectly helped me. I just don't need the equations.

• Career advice - go into a career you'll actually love to do. The money comes after that. Even if something comes up that offers a shit load of money, but you'll be absolutely miserable doing, the money isn't worth the stress and depression you'll have to stomach to get that stupid pay check. Unless you use that money to compensate for your misery. But, a career is like a second home usually. You'll be at wherever for the majority of your life, so hopefully you'll enjoy going to where you work. Just makes life that much more relaxing. Also, don't worry if it's not something that you studies for. Use what you've studies for and see if there are other types of jobs that you can use what you've learned. What we learn in school seems focused, but can be adaptable for other areas. I don't mean the equations or things like this, but the thought patterns.

• My last bit of advice would be, make sure you keep the ones you trust and love within reach and close. I don't have many, but they are important and keep help me to keep the positive mentality of that I matter to someone, so I don't get into the bullshit thinking of, "what would it matter if I wasn't around" and all that crap. Another thing, I'm a firm believer that we are pretty small, us humans, in the grand scheme of things. What I do, may not matter or affect someone else either in my environment or across the globe. But, I'm going to make sure that what I do, will benefit who I care about and myself in a way that it won't harm others around me. Also, never judge a person by how they look. It's all in their character and sense of worth of others. That wealthy entrepreneur once was just as poor as I was. Or, I could be on the street just as fast as that guy I just walked past. So we maybe in better positions, but we are not better people because of wealth.

• I've also learned that Religion and Politics are pretty similar. Big corporations that try and influence people to do what they believe is the way it should be, based on their interpretations. But, they are made up of human beings with the same ideals and ways of thinking and are able to make mistakes just like everyone else on this planet. I really don't believe any human or any man made organization is absolute. You should decided for yourself what you believe is right and wrong. Not necessarily what feels good. Usually the right thing to do is the toughest, but will make you feel the most true. Believe in yourself, because most of life and people love negativity and to bring you down to make themselves look better. If you believe in yourself and love yourself, no one can bring you down.

Most Helpful Girl

• My advice is this. You do not need to do what everybody else is doing just to fit in. Your main focus is getting your life in order such as your educational career and then your job career. You shouldn't be partying by drinking, having casual sex, etc. You'll attract the wrong kind of people screwing you up from doing life right and then fall into a pit they will not help you get out of. The most important right now is what you need to do for yourself. If you want to marry young, then find somebody who equally shares your views and values. If it's to get a job, then get you degree and go to get internships at the field of your choice. That way, your already in the door for your first job of your career life.

Sponsored

0/2500

Send It!

What Guys Said 18

• Our 20's are the years where it is okay to be selfish concerning own opinions and what's good for us. Growing up in our 20's we slowly realize that everything we thought we knew maybe isn't that true. The advice I can give you: Listen to yourself and what you're heart tells you. Even if you might feel like you're being selfish or letting someone down. you got to take care of yourself first in order to make anyone else happy.. practice self love and never give in to that little voice in your head telling you that you're not capable of doing things you want to.

• Think about how you would like to be living in 10 years. Use all those subjects you put on your question and some more (family, kids, financial independency, etc). Write them down and call them "goals".

Prioritize your goals and focus on achieving them, one step after the other.
    Do to others what you'd like them do to you.

Relax, enjoy yourself... everything good in life takes time and effort. Don't rush, but also don't be lazy.

It is important to note that you must always take good care of your body, mind and soul. Many young people lose their focus for instant pleasure or satisfaction, don't fall in this trap (this happens to party girls, just look at how are the lives of most party girls afer 30s).

Peace!

• try not to worry. life is long. 21 is still young. enjoy college but try to leave without regrets (whether it be social or academic)

• find out what matters in life and adjust your priorities accordingly, the things that actually bring happiness not the things you *think* will bring it. Then do everything in your power to shape your life to that mold, even if it means giving up stuff you thought mattered but don't.

• You reminisce on every moment you experienced before and look back on it with fond nostalgia, even the bad, hoping you can rewind time to experience those moments again because you were younger. Just remember, everything you are going through now, even the bad, you are going to miss in the future, and you will regret not enjoying these moments while you are young. Every new moment that comes you will miss and look back at with enjoyment so just enjoy life as it comes.

• Take inventory of every single thing you know that has failed you because of your own self perceptions of yourself or actions and do the complete opposite. Yes, it's normal to feel scared and uncomfortable because of the change taking place, but you will love the new and much better you.😊

• 1. Get your degree

2. Follow your dreams and do what you want to do BEFORE you get married.

• There's a lot, and I probably shouldn't be talking because I'm still young toπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ but just don't be afraid to make mistakes and go out of your comfort zone a lot, that's important

• Do not spend all your money every night...
    Stick to a budget.

• Well this is the age of Fantasy...
    but becareful... you are in full of emotion and sentiments...
    in this age... most of the decesion people take wrong in their life... specially in terms of love or selecting a good partner... just becareful... dont only go with heart... please take you brain even... Thank You

• I'm 20, bout to be 21. My advice; do at this age what won't be possible in your late 20's early 30's.

• Start getting involved with adventure sports. I promise your body won't get better.

• Date around. Have some fun before you get serious and commit to a relationship.

• it's never too late

• College is the first environment that you don't feel your family always fix problems

• live life

• Set your goals and work your ass off to achieve them.

later in life, you won't regret the things you did, you'll regret the things you didn't do. so go out fuck as many guys as possible.

• Relationship: Find someone 28+ for a LTR because they are more likely to want a lasting relationship. Let them know they have to wait 6 months before having sex, then you won't be as likely to get used.
    School: Try not to take out student loans if you can help it. There are no gaurantees after you graduate that you will get and retain the job you trained for. Get a secondary certificate in something easy as a fall back plan for work later on.
    Partying: Don't do drugs, even marijuana. Don't leave your drink unattended at parties.
    Good luck.

What Girls Said 4

• 1. Enjoy being 21 meaning dont be hard on yourself when you make mistakes
    2. Unless a guy is showing you that he really wants to be committed to you, dont feel pressured with having sex with him
    3. Stay away from toxic people and dont take advice from everyone. There advice may be good for them, but may not work for you
    4. Set realistic goals for yourself, and dont get overwhelmed if things dont go the way they were planned.
    5. Start looking for jobs that are more catered to what you are majoring for in school
    6. Plan for yours days accordinlgly but remember to take time for yourself. So that your not stressed and worn out with overthinking and worrying.
    7. Date guys who are uplifting and motivating not a guy that is constantly bringing you down despite how good he cuddles with you and how good the sex is
    8. Always try to treat people with respect, because you never know if you may need them down the line. But remember you dont have to kiss anyones ass.

Hope this helps.

• Career - never jeopardise or sacrifice your career , your future , for anyone or anything. It'll help set you up for life. You'll always have your career to fall back on and depend on

Relationship - know your own worth, never settle for anybody just to have somebody. Failed relationships are never a waste of your time. They teach you what you don't want or need in your life.

School - try your utmost best, to the best of your own ability , so you can pursue your dream goals and dream career

Partying - never become so intoxicated that you make yourself vulnerable. Alcohol inhibits your senses and emotions. Always make sure you're aware of your surroundings by limiting your alcohol intake, if you decide to drink that is lol

Considering most , if not all young people use the internet... Be careful who you trust on the internet. The internet is a psychopaths hunting ground. Be wise, be careful , be safe 😊

This is the advice I'd give to my future daughter lol

• I'm in the same boat as you right now.
    I'm graduating this year and my anxiety level is so high lately.

I would just say to take each day as it comes.. Like when you think about the future and all the shit you expect, you set yourself up for unnecessary stress. Just take it day by day and have fun.

• think before u do