Why do young girls smoke?

So I work in a convenience store right now, and obviously we sell cigarettes... and alooot of cute young girls (19-21) come buy smokes all the time, and it's really sad .. -_-

WHY !? do they not want their good looks or what?

How do you think they would react if I told them they're too cute to smoke? lol

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• I'm not a smoker, but if someone told me I was too cute to smoke, I would think it was condescending as hell. I'd actually probably say, "hmm, make it two packs then." But maybe that's just me.

Anyway, they smoke for the same reason anyone else does.

What Girls Said 11

• Lose weight

Decrease Apetite

They think it is cool

Depression

Bored

• Some people smoke to deal with stress or because they grew up watching their parents do it.

• It is addictive and some people can't help it. I saw a lady yesterday who is overly tan and smoke. She looks so old but she is nice. It was sad. Sometime, it is not of your opinion or advice. Sad to watch. People have to want to change themselves. I tried to help my brother quit and it didn't work. He has to be willing himself.

• Peer pressure, and they think it makes them look good >.> It doe the opposite though, in my opinion :S

• yeah

• Maybe they really go to see you ;)

• I doubt that haha

• Don't do it. It's not your place.

I would be offended and find it rude.

• I don't expect they'd respond well to such patronisation.

• I would give him a choice, quit or keep smoking and be out of the house by 16

if he thinks he's old enough to make that big of a life choice, then he should also think he's mature enough to live on his own

• Say he was 14. Would you throw him out on the street?

• if he was living under my roof then he either listens to what I say or he can go live on his own and smoke, I would be ashamed to have a son that smokes cigarettes

you can quote me on that too

• Show Older
  • 19-21 year olds are probably addicted. When they were younger, they most likely gave into peer pressure & smoked to look "cool." They also might be smoking now at 19-21 to look cool, who knows what reasons people have for smoking, all I know is that it makes you smell, gives you cancer, & cost a fortune.

• hahah

• yeah, I cough sometimes because I have sinus issues, but it doesn't sound anything as bad as a smoker's cough, lol.

• not to mention the disgusting smokers cough coming from a cute little 19 year old girl -___-

• A couple of my friends smoke they say it helps them relieve stress

I know a couple of people started to smoke because of the people they were hanging out with

• yup

• lol my thoughts exactly

I don't get it your slowly killing yourself nothing "cool" about that

• -_- ugh

• Show Older
  • Young girls & guys. I know! It's just stupid.

• I agree, why someone would do that knowing the risks! It should be made illegal, at long last. I don't know why they haven't revoked it yet.

• to lose weight

to look cool

to be stupid

to be stupid

to be stupid

to fulfill the addiction

idk. they'd probably think 'it's none of your business' :/

• agreed :/

• it sucks :l

• it is none of his bidness!

What Guys Said 10

• I told one smoker "smoke more, die faster. Stop wasting my air." he didn't take too kindly :D

• lol nah just leave them to die :P

• Such a turn off with girls. Wear a shirt that says "smokers suck"

• lmao it's true though

• 19-21! The other day two 13 year old girls were asking me to go into a shop and buy them some.

I think it starts of as something they do to copy a freind that does it because they think it makes them look "cool" and rebels but than it becomes something they end up depending on and have no choice but to carry on buying to fuel their addicition

• wow

• yeah, the sad thing is I'v seen younger

• thats sad :/

• Because people are stupid man, but it's not unlike people who waste away their minds (and bodies) playing video games/watching tv, binge eating, alcoholism, even EXERCISING too much (yes, that's possible and a disorder as well). You're entitled to your opinion but I think being condescending and/or ignoring your uncle is a bit extreme, primarily because they could use your support in quitting rather than being shunned by you, which probably only adds to the problem. But ultimately, to each their own. You can never cure the world of ignorance and that is a sad fact, even the cute one's are not immune.

*Lights cigarette*

Jk man.

• Yeah but if you really want to fix the problem, completely ignoring him is not the way to a solution, just saying. But hey man, I won't question you methods, I won't judge.

• if he gets cancer and dies, he'll be gone but his friends and family will be left to pick up the pieces, that's unfair imo

• It's a little extreme but if it makes you feel better, to each their own :)

• Show Older
  • they might be addicted they might not be. A lot of smokers do it to fulfil a gap or something missing or ro be cool. They could just be buying them because a lot of people that age party and I myself am not a smoker but I do like smoking when I'm drinking and partying. There are too many reasons why and they probably won't like it if a random person lectures them about it.

• I really don't understand this either, I remember in college I had a little crush on this one girl. Like a few days later I saw her smoking, from then on I just lost all attraction to her, now I have 0 attraction to her, it's crazy that they don't know how it affects their attraction. It smells bad, costs a tonne of money, gives you cancer and makes everyone around you smell, I mean why do people even do it? I know people say it's just for kicks, but where do you draw the line between a good time and being a total sucker! The bad breath too, YIKES watch out for that one fellas

• eww smoke on your d***? lol

• They're appealing to me, but I might have an oral fixation or something.

I ALWAYS wanted a smoke job... lol.

• I always get this feeling of 'damn she's a smoker' when I see a cute girl smoking lol, maybe some fellas find it appealing I don't really know... as for yourself and I, it's a no go :)

• Show Older
  • just tell them you won't date them if they keep smoking. that will teach them ;)

• Those guys are just a**holes though, not a decent guy like yourself! Or even worse - smokers themselves.

• yup lol

• true... they probably won't quit roflmfao. anyways, here in germany only manly fugly girls and/or gangster/wangster girls smoke. feminine girls don't smoke. I guess I'm lucky. it would p*ss me off if cute girls smoked. note to self: don't move to canada...

• Show Older
  • maybe they are trying to lose weight or relieve stress?

• cuz people like smoking... pretty simple if they like it they do it, just like anybody else does

• lol =P

• yes it would be and I wouldn't give a sh*t lol

• In what way isn't that insulting? If I said all cross-dressers were retarded, or all atheists were ignorant, would that be my opinion alone?

• Show Older
  • They think it's cool and they're stupid. They think it makes them look sophisticated and older. And they're stupid.

I don't buy that it's for keeping warm either, where I live anyway. I live in Tucson, AZ and it's been 105 F + the last few days and there's still idiots of all ages walking around smoking.

• :/ its a shame really some of these girls are very cute

• They normally think it makes them look cool, or they are rebelling and want to do something that they are not suppose to do. If you told them they are too cute to smoke eventually one of them would get upset and you would get in trouble.

• Also I have know several people that started smoking because smokers get to take extra smoke breaks at work.