• Ask
  • myTake

Why do young girls smoke?

So I work in a convenience store right now, and obviously we sell cigarettes... and alooot of cute young girls (19-21) come buy smokes all the time,... Show More

Most Helpful Opinion

• I'm not a smoker, but if someone told me I was too cute to smoke, I would think it was condescending as hell. I'd actually probably say, "hmm, make it two packs then." But maybe that's just me. Anyway, they smoke for the same reason anyone else does.

What Girls Said 12

• Some people smoke to deal with stress or because they grew up watching their parents do it.

• Peer pressure, and they think it makes them look good >.> It doe the opposite though, in my opinion :S

• yeah

• A couple of my friends smoke they say it helps them relieve stressI know a couple of people started to smoke because of the people they were hanging out with

• that's stupid, there's plenty of other things that relieve stress without the consequences

• Show Older
    • lol my thoughts exactly I don't get it your slowly killing yourself nothing "cool" about that

• yup

• Lose weightDecrease ApetiteThey think it is coolDepression Bored

• It is addictive and some people can't help it. I saw a lady yesterday who is overly tan and smoke. She looks so old but she is nice. It was sad. Sometime, it is not of your opinion or advice. Sad to watch. People have to want to change themselves. I tried to help my brother quit and it didn't work. He has to be willing himself.

• Maybe they really go to see you ;)

• I doubt that haha

• Don't do it. It's not your place.I would be offended and find it rude.

• I don't expect they'd respond well to such patronisation.

• Oh, I fit into that age bracket. I would just stare at you, very very cold, and I wouldn't say 'thanks'.

• Show Older
    • Say he was 14. Would you throw him out on the street?

• I would give him a choice, quit or keep smoking and be out of the house by 16 if he thinks he's old enough to make that big of a life choice, then he should also think he's mature enough to live on his own

• 19-21 year olds are probably addicted. When they were younger, they most likely gave into peer pressure & smoked to look "cool." They also might be smoking now at 19-21 to look cool, who knows what reasons people have for smoking, all I know is that it makes you smell, gives you cancer, & cost a fortune.

• not to mention the disgusting smokers cough coming from a cute little 19 year old girl -___-

• yeah, I cough sometimes because I have sinus issues, but it doesn't sound anything as bad as a smoker's cough, lol.

• hahah

• Young girls & guys. I know! It's just stupid.

• I agree, why someone would do that knowing the risks! It should be made illegal, at long last. I don't know why they haven't revoked it yet.

• to lose weightto look cool to be stupidto be stupidto be stupidto fulfill the addictionidk. they'd probably think 'it's none of your business' :/

• it is none of his bidness!

• it sucks :l

• agreed :/

What Guys Said 10

• 19-21! The other day two 13 year old girls were asking me to go into a shop and buy them some.I think it starts of as something they do to copy a freind that does it because they think it makes them look "cool" and rebels but than it becomes something they end up depending on and have no choice but to carry on buying to fuel their addicition

• thats sad :/

• yeah, the sad thing is I'v seen younger

• wow

• cuz people like smoking... pretty simple if they like it they do it, just like anybody else does

• Its a sin how people can get away with being so bigoted in regards to smoking.

• Show Older
    • yes it would be and I wouldn't give a sh*t lol

• lol =P

• They normally think it makes them look cool, or they are rebelling and want to do something that they are not suppose to do. If you told them they are too cute to smoke eventually one of them would get upset and you would get in trouble.

• Also I have know several people that started smoking because smokers get to take extra smoke breaks at work.

• they might be addicted they might not be. A lot of smokers do it to fulfil a gap or something missing or ro be cool. They could just be buying them because a lot of people that age party and I myself am not a smoker but I do like smoking when I'm drinking and partying. There are too many reasons why and they probably won't like it if a random person lectures them about it.

• Because people are stupid man, but it's not unlike people who waste away their minds (and bodies) playing video games/watching tv, binge eating, alcoholism, even EXERCISING too much (yes, that's possible and a disorder as well). You're entitled to your opinion but I think being condescending and/or ignoring your uncle is a bit extreme, primarily because they could use your support in quitting rather than being shunned by you, which probably only adds to the problem. But ultimately, to each their own. You can never cure the world of ignorance and that is a sad fact, even the cute one's are not immune.*Lights cigarette*Jk man.

• it's not extreme lol but ok

• Show Older
    • if he gets cancer and dies, he'll be gone but his friends and family will be left to pick up the pieces, that's unfair imo

• Yeah but if you really want to fix the problem, completely ignoring him is not the way to a solution, just saying. But hey man, I won't question you methods, I won't judge.

• maybe they are trying to lose weight or relieve stress?

• I told one smoker "smoke more, die faster. Stop wasting my air." he didn't take too kindly :D

• lmao it's true though

• Such a turn off with girls. Wear a shirt that says "smokers suck"

• lol nah just leave them to die :P

• I really don't understand this either, I remember in college I had a little crush on this one girl. Like a few days later I saw her smoking, from then on I just lost all attraction to her, now I have 0 attraction to her, it's crazy that they don't know how it affects their attraction. It smells bad, costs a tonne of money, gives you cancer and makes everyone around you smell, I mean why do people even do it? I know people say it's just for kicks, but where do you draw the line between a good time and being a total sucker! The bad breath too, YIKES watch out for that one fellas

• exactly man it pretty much instantly kills any attraction for me

• Show Older
    • They're appealing to me, but I might have an oral fixation or something. I ALWAYS wanted a smoke job... lol.

• eww smoke on your d***? lol

• just tell them you won't date them if they keep smoking. that will teach them ;)

• I don't think they would care at all lol

• Show Older
    • yup lol

• Those guys are just a**holes though, not a decent guy like yourself! Or even worse - smokers themselves.

• They think it's cool and they're stupid. They think it makes them look sophisticated and older. And they're stupid.I don't buy that it's for keeping warm either, where I live anyway. I live in Tucson, AZ and it's been 105 F + the last few days and there's still idiots of all ages walking around smoking.

• :/ its a shame really some of these girls are very cute