What are some really good classical songs?

Do you have any ideas? I feel like listening to classical music now.

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• Claude Debussy - Claire De Lune. If you type that in anywhere you'll get a lot of other similar Debussy pieces for piano, such as his many preludes and nocturnes, and they're all very beautiful.Maurice Ravel - Bolero, J'eux D'eux Igor Stravinsky - Rite of Spring, Firebird. Stravinsky wrote a lot of very interesting works for orchestra, all of which are worth hearing. Philip Glass - 'Glassworks' collection, particularly Purite Igoe (no idea if I spelt that right). Also Music in 5ths.Steve Reich - Some of his works are hard to appreciate, he's very experimental, but his more accessible works include 'Four Organs', 'New York Counterpoint', 'Electric Counterpoint' and 'City Life - Check It Out'. Some of his works don't sound like classical music which is something I like about him a great deal, very very forward thinking composer.Terry Riley - In C, the best thing about this piece is you could watch a hundred performances of the same piece and no two will be the same.Tchaikovsky - Romeo and Juliet is a piece of his that's very special to me, but I've not given the rest a listen lately.Handel - Water Music is beautiful, and Music for Fireworks is very nice. Very famous pieces, find 'em anywhere.Bach - One of the Classical 101s, everyone likes Bach, Beethoven and Mozart. Bach's got a huge resource of music, so can be difficult to get into. While I can't remember the name of the piece, he composed a piece of music for four harpsichords, which he had his students - who were not very talented - play, with a large focus on ornamentation and improvisation. Its a big big sound and its fantastic. I'll have a hunt for the cassette if you want me to, but I think its Harpsichord Concerto 17. I have intentionally neglected to include the eras and movements of the composers I mentioned because some of them who you may not have heard of have this dreadful prejudice attached to them within the classical community, and I didn't know anything about it until I was already a big fan and I'm glad I had the opportunity to do that. If you know anything about classical music, or if you like these compositions, you'll probably find out regardless, but I'd like you to hear it free from preconception.Uh, there's also a Japanese orchestra I like, who uh... Well, before every performance - all female orchestra - they get up, one by one, strip off all clothing and then start playing. Hehehe. They actually have a very interesting way of approaching it, they have a lot of electric instruments. But uh... I don't know if my affections are being SWAYED by anything in particular ;)

• Uhhh- oh. You said 'songs'. See, a songs music with voices and lyrics in it, as opposed to a symphony/tone poem/concerto, etc. I'm not being pedantic, 'cos I know you didn't mean that and it doesn't matter but I wanted to tell you this; if you actually want classical music songs, as in, with words and lyrics, they're called 'Lieds', which is an old german word for 'song'.

• Show Older
    • Oh, I don't know. Requiems aren't Lied's though, I know what you mean though. But when I said singing in classical was called Lied I meant like, it was a song form similar to like, a pop or folk song. Lied's are just a standalone thing, like. And uh.. If there's singing in a symphony its usual Choral, which is like, choir music.

• Thanks for BA! Did you like any of the composers/pieces I mentioned?

What Guys Said 6

• I love the Overture from Carmen by Georges Bizet. link This is a rather famous tune which I'm sure you've all heard. What can I say? I like it.

• I think this one's a bit too recent to be considered 'classical', but I think you might like it: link

• Some of my favourites: link link link link link

• Can you be more specific? Symphonies or ensembles or solo piano, happy or sad, what period, etc?

• It doesn't matter. I really like symphonies though...and any period..just orgasmic

• Sad: link (Vocalise for Orchestra, Rachmaninoff)Happy: link (Chopin's Heroic Polonaise)Bittersweet: link (Handel's Largo in F from Xerxes)Angry: link (Roussel's 3rd)

• Cannibal Corpse - Hammer Smashed FaceSlipknot - VermillionKorn - Twisted TransistorStatic-X - I'm with StupidMudavayne - Dig

• Lol

• souvenir d'enfrance

What Girls Said 3