My husband keeps giving our 2 year old son beer

My husband keeps giving our 2 year old son a sip of beer. I tell him not to because our son keeps vomiting but he won't listen. My hubby say I'm overreacting and I need to take it easy, we so many fights over this. Now our son keeps asking me or my husband for beer in his milk. If I don't he'll start crying or all angry. What should I do?

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

What Girls Said 30

What Guys Said 20

• Selected as most helpful

Have you taken your son to the doctor for the vomiting? He could suffer from an allergy or an infection that needs to be addressed, regardless of the beer. Children 2 and under can easily suffer from dehydration from vomiting. You should talk to your doctor about his alcohol consumption and the effects it could be having on him as well, him asking for some and the tantrums he has when denied. You don't say how often or how much your child is drinking, though I don't think an occasional sip is going to permanently damage him or turn him into an alcoholic. Of course when I say occasionally, I mean just that. Talk to your pedi about it and get his opinion.

As for your husband, it's a little more complicated. The struggle for who is the dominate parent can be a nasty one, a tug of war of wills. Sadly, it's the children that suffer the most from it. You guys need to sit down and discuss your parenting agenda to avoid more power struggles like these. I would not give my children sips of beer, though that is something my husband would not mind. But I'm the dominant parent so he honors my wishes to avoid sending conflicting messages to the kids (and a good ass kicking if he just doesn't do what I say). I know how hard it is to control what the other parent does, even when you are married, but the reality of it is this is something that can drive a huge wedge into your relationship, and affect your child's emotional well being if it isn't worked out. Unfortunately, if your husband refuses to compromise or even listen to your opinions about how you child should be raised - you can either leave him or learn to accept it.

Hope you get this worked out. If you're really pissed at him you can always call CPA to report him contributing alcohol to a minor - but that is extreme, even for me.

Good luck.

• beer is an alcoholic beverage

it can be toxic to the liver especially to kids because their threshold of tolerance for that type of substance is very low

it's not a joke

definitely talk to a doctor

tell him to go to a medical professional

give him scientific evidence

it's a no brainer. would totally stop it.

• My uncle used to do that with his son and it is never right. You need to have a serious talk with your husband about this and voice your opinion strongly. You should be entitled to a say about this because it's your son as well. That is just not right and you are not overracting by any means! If your husband does not care enough to consider your opinon as well, I would warn about leaving him if I were you.

• Get some balls! Wow this should infuriate u...if I saw that happenign I think would smash the bottle over my husbands head& trust me if you saw me I am the most innocent looking soft spoken non tempermental person but obviously ur husband doesn't give a dam what you say because ur obviously allowing it.

• A child shouldn't be drinking beer at all. My cousin was given beer as a toddler, and she's an airhead. By 10 she was having a full can of beer. The fact that your son is vomiting should had already put warning bells in your husband, but he's ignoring it.

As for your son's already small addiction, tell him you put it in his milk but trick him by not doing it. If that doesn't work, firmly tell him that beer is wrong at his age.

• your hubby is needs help if he thinks its ok to give a toddler beer. if the child cries, let him because you know its best to not give it to him just to keep him quiet. you are an accomplice of hurting that child if you do it period for whatever reason.

• My parents let me have a sip of their beer at BBQs or tailgating occasionally when I was little but only if I was eating something with it and I mean ONLY occasionally. I never got to the point I would ask for it and I'm sorry it's gotten to that point. You should try telling him you did but mix some vanilla or something like that in. And tell your husband to stop it or you won't keep beer in the house anymore.

• Don't give him beer!

It's causing problems for your family and son already. Your son has to withdraw now. I'd take all the alcohol out of the house for awhile. Don't care if your son gets mad or cries, it's now a conciquence that you have to deal with.

If your husband continues, threaten to leave him. Your son could die, and you'd go to jail for permitting it.

• This is such a bad idea, and completely dangerous for the kid. Your kid needs to be removed from the situation, and your husband needs help.

Voice record your next argument about this (if there is one), take it to court for evidence for custody of the kid, and separate from/divorce this moron. 2 year olds shouldn't be spoiled; It's just bad for their development and creates problems later in life.

• Oh lord. Dump this man. But if you love him ALOT ALOT. Tell him no. Beer can cause liver failure if it is abused to much.

By giving a two year old beer. Who knows what kind of cancers or diseases this baby can grow up with.

Better yet die from.

• Sounds like a bullshit story... Come on... if your husband was doing that, would you really be spending time online trying to figure out what to do? BULLSHIT!

• Call a lawyer and tape your conversation with him where he talks about giving beer to the child. Then call child protection services and tell them you want custody of the children. Then divource your husband. I grew up in an abusive home. I had an eating disorder for 6 years because my mohter told me I was fat and ugly, my dad would not take me to a doctor, because he wanted to make my mother happy. Now I hate both of them and hope they burn in hell (and they will because God is real)

• f***ing retard

• omfg ur husband is a idiot! omg tell ur kidif he cries wen he doesn't get what he wants he'll get a time out 4 ten minutes.. if ur husband does it again I wood take the kid and leave fer a while.if he calls the po-po he'll be the one in trouble not u.

• Lol then give him apple juice. and tell him its beer. or give him straight vodlka. make shure it tastse really bad. or wen he cries give him the silent treatment tell him you don't want ur baby to be all messed up. make the kid feel lik he really hurt u.

• The kid is only 2 years old time out doesn't work

• Are you for real. what do you think you should do? come on now, I think a 12 year old would know this, sorry if I'm going to sound mean. But you just sit there and let it happen, take it away, take him away. And what makes me mad and sick to my stomach is you just let it happen, so what he crys or get angry, YOU DO NOT DO THAT! He is 2 years old for crying out loud, do you have any idea what will happen to him, if you keep this up or let alone you guys? I am sry if I sound mean but I am very sick that you would even ask that question what should I do..

• step it up and be the PARENT. you have to be the responsible one in this situation if your husband is out of left field. that's crazy, people's kids get taken to DFACS for stuff like this. kids shouldnt be given alcohol at all imo but your son vomits after he drinks and your husband still does it?! I wouldn't leave my son around someone like this.

• if he vomits when he drinks it, why does he want it? that's really odd! Call a child therapist and ask them to talk to your husband, most likely he will be more inclined to listen to a professional. Honestly a tiny bit of beer isn't going to make him an alcoholic, but at his age it's just not good for his health.

• your husband is stupid... who gives a child f***ing beer?

• leave him and take your child with you if he doesn't stop soon

• Um does your husband realize that totally illegal?!? Doesn't matter if its just a sip. My dad did give my sister whiskey when she was that age, only because she would go around drinking beers of they were left out. She never did it again after that. But that's totally different. You better hope your child doesn't ask for beer when your out in public. Someone's bound to call CPS.

• my daddy used to give me a drink of beer everysunday for our football parties and I would sit on his lap and he would give me a drink...i hated the taste of beer, well any alcohol actually. I think that taste has stuck with me for a long time. I still hate it..so maybe its a good thing..

• Ye but he gives beer to this child to the point that this child vomits..nd a child crying over beer is redic

• Show More
  • You're brave. I think you need to use some kind of leverage to let your husband know how serious you are.

• he needs to know how dangerous alcohol is

try and analogize it with posion...

i hate lying but maybe telling ur son that what he is drinking is poison may help...

i'm sorry this is happening. good luck with the both of them.

you should help ur husband understand that the alcohol could kill or make ur son addicted.

you may blow away money to feed the addiction.

• Warn your husband that if he doesn't stop that you will call social services on him. Warn him ONCE and then follow through with it. Tell them that he won't stop giving your kid beer. Social services will probably show up to your house talk with your husband and tell him if he does it again he will be arrested. Then if he does it again, have him arrested. (Don't worry, he likely won't get jail time). Doing all this proves to him that you are serious about your son not drinking alcohol at this young of an age. The implications could be very dangerous, not to mention it's extremely illegal. Hopefully you won't have to take it this far and he will stop with the social services.

Bottom line you need to take action. Not another drop for the kid NO MATTER WHAT. Warn your husband of what you are going to do and then DO IT!

Good luck~

• You should look this up on your states website. I find this very hard to believe. In Illinois, where I live, it is illegal to buy, sell, give, receive, or consume alcohol under the age of 21.

link

type: "(whatever state you live in) consumption laws" in google.

• It actually isn't illegal. Most places allow any person under the age of 21 to drink an alcoholic beverage if a parent/guardian is present and allows it.

• i was a child raised on beer. so what?

• I've been drinking beer in moderation since I can remember. I believe I was 1 or 2 when my dad first put beer into my milk to put me to sleep. since then I've been having small amounts of beer every day. I'm currently 19 and drink 2 bottles of beer a day with dinner and that's it. To me, being raised with beer taught me moderation and whenever I go to parties or anything I stick to my 2 beer limit and don't get drunk

• So what? how old were you?

• Hope social services doesn't come knocking at your door.

• Take your son and leave this a**hole. If you don't, your just as guilty as you husband.

• You can't let him do that, he needs a punch ! Happ to hear your giving him some ! That is FXXXKED UP!

• f***d up

• I call troll!

• give him egg nog!

It's milk, kind of

and it has alcohol in it!

pretty soon the baby will cry and have hangovers

maybe when he's 3 he can teach the kid how to play beer png!

jk

yeah, that's not right

feeding a 2-year old beer is bad

and the state could remove the kid from your house

• this could be a very serious problem if you don't fix it now if I were you don't spoil your kid tell him NO he's 2yrs old he can't have it his way. clearly if he was vommiting and your husband still gives him beer there's a problem with him

• You''re husband need hlep asap because he got serious issues.

if he don't stop and don't listen to you call the police its the only way that he will understand what he's doing is bad for his own kid, just like everyone else said he's a RETARD .

• Is your husband a dumbass?

• While he is sitting in front of the TV watching NASCAR or wrestling, I would calmly get a meat cleaver, grab hold of the power chord and chop it in two. Then, I would ask him to follow you outside. After dropping a match in the gas tank of his four-wheeler and tossing his bowling ball under the trailer, I would stand in front of the pick-up truck and calmly explain that when you see him giving beer to your kid, you start to have funny thoughts about removing his testicles with a meat cleaver when he is asleep. Then, just smile, kiss him on the forehead and say "I love you Bubba, wanna go huntin' ?"

• Yes, yes you would.

• Would go to jail for that?

• I would ask your husband why he feels it's necessary to give a two year old beer. don't argue just wait for his intelligent answer. Then explain to him that if he actually cared about you or the well being of your son he will stop.

• your husband is a retard.

• You and your husband need serious and long-term therapy for alcoholism and related issues.

You know this is warped. Why aren't you protecting your child? Why haven't you moved out?

State agencies routinely remove children from their families for behavior like this.

If I knew where you lived, I'd drop a dime on you. This is sick and wrong.

• That is about as dumb as you can get! It's bad for the child and illegally, good thing your trying to stop that, it can cause liver and kidney problems at that young age. Stop that kind of action now! CPS will take your kid

• Did you also ask this on Dear Cupid? I answered there but thought I should add that I agree with those who have said that you should take the child to a doctor.

Also although my dad (and also my mom at least once) let me drink alcohol when I was young I do not drink now and I've sworn off drinking for the rest of my life.

• Don't give him the beer for one, he'll get over it eventually.

Tell your husband that he either has to stop giving your son beer or you're going to leave him, and you're going to have to follow through with that promise. It may be hard for you but he's not a person who should be raising a child if he's doing such things.

If you absolutly must stay with him, don't allow him to keep beer in the house and don't leave your son in his care until you're positive he's not going to give him anymore.