What does a side hug mean?

So a guy that I'm kind of friends with asked me for a hug one day when we were walking together before we went our separate ways. I suck at hugs, so it was probably awkward because it was a side hug and I hug weirdly. He never asked for a hug before, so does this mean he's more comfortable with me or trying to say he likes me? The other day when I saw him he didn't ask for a hug, but we still talked, so I felt weird because I wasn't sure if I should've asked or what. I also noticed when we talk, he doesn't hold a lot of eye contact but he does continue the conversation.

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• Ok, if someone specifically asks for a hug, giving them a side hug is kind of weird in my opinion. I think it would give the impression that the person is not really comfortable hugging, which may be why he didn't ask again.Honestly, I'd never even heard of "side hugs" until you mentioned them. I guess I just don't think of that as a real hug.If someone asks for a hug, I'd assume they meant a normal hug, but I wouldn't assume that it means they're interested in me or anything. It's certainly not a bad sign, but don't read too much into it.

What Guys Said 2

• A side hug is *usually*, but not always, a "friendly" hug, and a decidedly non-sexual hug. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though.But I'm curious: how do you "hug weirdly"? I've never heard of a girl who thought she gave weird hugs.A hug is either a sign of attraction or a gesture of comfort, or both. There's not enough information for us to make a determination which this might be.

• I don't really give tight hugs to people and it was more of a loose hug, I guess. I'm kind of shy when giving/receiving hugs so it probably wasn't the best hug.

• He's shy and nervous. I sometimes don't keep eye contact while talking with girls I like. Just be nice to him. He's also approaching slowly... he didn't want to full on hug, he was mostly just treading carefully (fear of rejection).

What Girls Said 2

• Aw... This just took me back in time... I remembered when that happened to me, I really liked the guy but we were extremely shy to say anything, and now he is married...f***.. (slippery slope, sorry) BACK TO YOU, I think that he must be shy, and I guess that a little push wouldn't hurt him. Next time you see him just hug him.. You know, friendly hug.. Hey if he asked you for a hug, why would it be weird to hug him now..

• How can somebody suck at hugs?I didn't know there was a right and wrong way to do it as long as you do it?Do you also suck at kisses and everything else? Or just hugs...this is truly interesting.

• Nope, just hugs, lol.

• Then don't worry bout it. EVEN better, ----Tell this guy that you need hug practice. Giggle!